• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do I need to get my railcard replaced

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnolife

Established Member
Hi guys

I was on a service from SYB to MAN today, and I had the guard comnent on an error with my railcard, which is that the number on the photocard and the number n the railcard do not match - what the issuer at WGW has done is put in the railcard number as being you010315, when the number printed on the photocard is YOU 01031549. (Ive tried attattching a photo, but because Im working from mobile, im not sure if it will work)

If I do need to get it replaced, do I have to do so at Wigan Wallgate, or can I go to any Northern station, or even TPE at the Airport?

Attachments

• 20140101_201348.jpg
    20140101_201348.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 68
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I am surprised that anyone noticed tbh.

You can get it replaced, but I would say leave it a while longer and see if another guard notices. My previous Railcard had a digit missing and no one ever noticed it.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Can all TISs cope with photocard numbers that are that long? It's not of the ABC 1234 format I'm used to seeing.

I had an annual season ticket that had the wrong photocard number (ABC 1233 instead of ABC 1223) and no-one noticed.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
As you've discovered, the ticket machine in use at Wigan Wallgate can only print 9 characters in the photocard field, so the clerk should have left out the "YOU" as it's the eight digit number which acts as the unique identifier.

Probably a good idea to get it replaced just to be on the safe side, as it could work out very expensive if you were taking a long distance journey and the Conductor took exception.

gnolife

Established Member
I am surprised that anyone noticed tbh.

You can get it replaced, but I would say leave it a while longer and see if another guard notices. My previous Railcard had a digit missing and no one ever noticed it.

I just found it somewhat alarming that on the first trip that I took using it, I got the guard giving me a mild grilling.
Im just glad that he didnt decide to withdraw the lot, which in theory he would have been entitled to do.
Ill leave it for now and get it replaced next time I go to a Northern staffed station
Thanks for the advice all :)

Status
Not open for further replies.