• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do restrictions apply on the use of public transport in Wales? Are leisure journeys allowed or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llandudno

Established Member
The no 1 Chester - Wrexham Arriva Sapphire service normally runs every 12 minutes during the day and operates til around 2330 (service less frequent later in the evening).

It is currently running every hour instead and finishes at 1830 or so.

I drove behind what is currently the last service today out of Chester and it had a "This bus is temporarily full" sign on it's LED display. It drove straight past the two stops I followed it past with people waiting.

I could see people inside from my car, but couldn't tell how many.

No doubt the driver was following policy, so no blame attached to him or her, but that's absolutely hopeless.

You can’t see Route 1 returning to a 12 minute frequency after lockdown, I reckon the best you can hope for is every 20 minutes, hourly in the evening.

Sadly, I can see huge cuts in frequency and services after the lockdown and subsidy ends, many people will have alternative methods of transport, assuming they have a job to travel to to or any money for leisure purposes.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cardiff123

Established Member
This 'blog' from TfW Rail (Keolis Amey) CEO Kevin Thomas gives a hint of optimism that the ''essential travel only' message will be dropped soon. No mention in the article of 'essential travel only' or 'key workers', and he mentions that TfW Rail are moving to a reservation only system on many routes, although I can't see that working on the Valleys.

We’re looking forward to welcoming you back onboard. In preparation we’ve been working hard over the past few months to make our trains and stations as safe as possible.

Based on the latest government guidance, there are a few details you need to be aware of to help you with your travel experience:
  • Face coverings are mandatory when travelling. Please note that in Wales this must be a ‘3-layer’ covering (or higher specification) e.g. disposable surgical masks. If you’re travelling through both Wales and England, then it is best to use a 3-layer option as this will be compliant on all parts of our network.
Please note that medical exemptions can apply, so you may encounter some people not wearing a face covering; however, this is expected to be low numbers.
  • So that you can keep your mask on, we ask that you don’t eat or drink unless for a medical reason. Similarly we ask that you limit the use of mobile phones to essential reasons only.
  • You’ll see our trains are clearly marked out for social distancing and we ask you to please respect this – it for your safety.
  • We are moving to a reservation service for many of our services to better control numbers. With that in mind, we are also monitoring and limiting the number who can travel on each train, so occasionally it may not be possible to board.
  • Check in advance and plan plenty of time for your journey whenever you can.
  • Our busier stations may have a one-way system in place to help maintain social distancing. Please check the signs before taking your normal route.
  • All our trains and stations have extra cleaning regimes in place, together with hand sanitiser in various locations. Please wash your hands regularly; it is a simple and effective protection measure.
  • Please use contactless payment for your tickets where possible.

Despite Covid-19 we’re still working hard to improve your railway, and we have many investment projects underway

For example, new contactless ticket machines, Smartcard technology and additional cycle storage, all progressing alongside a host of other improvements. So you may see contractors out and about at your local station, they will be working safely with new regulations as we strive to improve your customer experience for current and future generations.

I know that in normal circumstances many of these measures would seem strange and unnecessary, however, these are not normal times. We all need to pull together to thrive as a society, whilst putting the safety of each other at the forefront of all that we do.

Please do respect these measures, they are there to protect us all.

Finally, please show our hardworking railway colleagues the respect they deserve. We’re not enforcement officers, we are here to help, advise and provide you with a train service.

By working with us, we can focus on getting you from A to B as safely.

Diolch,
Kevin Thomas
CEO Transport for Wales [Rail Services]

Last edited:

Furryanimal

Reservation only services worry me as most of my rail journeys involve events with uncertain finish times, not that those events are currently taking place but they will eventually.

How am I supposed to book a return journey when I don’t know when I’ll be returning?

And this effectively rules out off the cuff leisure trips. Great.

Last edited by a moderator:

AdamWW

Established Member
This 'blog' from TfW Rail (Keolis Amey) CEO Kevin Thomas gives a hint of optimism that the ''essential travel only' message will be dropped soon. No mention in the article of 'essential travel only' or 'key workers', and he mentions that TfW Rail are moving to a reservation only system on many routes, although I can't see that working on the Valleys.

That does look like good news.

It wouldn't surprise me if they wait until the school holidays are over before changing the message.

Interesting that there is nothing on whether they will be permitted to move to bus levels of seating occupancy, or if the plan is to keep the current "2 m apart at all times and masks to be worn" and control the miniscule capacity that leaves with reservations.

I note they say that face coverings "must" be 3-layer. I can't find the actual legislation but if that's really the case then the Welsh Government guidance page is somewhat misleading, because all it says is:
What is the new legal requirement?
From Monday 27 July 2020 it is compulsory to wear a face covering on public transport in Wales

(and it would make a mockery of the argument that they brought in this legislation to avoid confusion by having different rules in Wales and England on cross-border services)

Reservation only services worry me as most of my rail journeys involve events with uncertain finish times.Not that those events are currently taking place but they will eventually.How am I supposed to book a return journey when I don’t know when I’ll be returning?And this effectively rules out off the cuff leisure trips.Great.

I think a lot will depend on how they implement it. I.e. will it just use the current somewhat inflexible reservation system, and will people be denied access to trains without a reservation even if they have plenty of space?
It shouldn't be hard to work out in due course which trains would and wouldn't need to be "reservation compulsory". And if the odd thing caught them out and a non-compulsory train got 'overloaded', not the end of the world in my view.

AdamWW

Established Member
Messaging on departure boards I saw yesterday had changed a little to something like:
"Essential travel only. Wear a face covering. It's the law"

Some (unintentional I imagine) ambiguity there as to whether "it's the law" refers to the "essential travel" bit as well.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Reservation only services worry me as most of my rail journeys involve events with uncertain finish times.Not that those events are currently taking place but they will eventually.How am I supposed to book a return journey when I don’t know when I’ll be returning?And this effectively rules out off the cuff leisure trips.Great.

You book the latest train that you may need, and change it to earlier if possible when you have finished.

I note they say that face coverings "must" be 3-layer. I can't find the actual legislation but if that's really the case then the Welsh Government guidance page is somewhat misleading

I think Wales was going to legislate that but then backed down.

AdamWW

Established Member
You book the latest train that you may need, and change it to earlier if possible when you have finished.

Assuming there's a practical way to do that, indeed.

Not so useful if they just use the current reservation system where you have to queue up at a ticket desk to do that (and reservations close before the train leaves the first station so that they can put the reservations cards out).

Clearly such things can be done, as with the Cross-Country "instant" reservations.

It really needs an app and a call centre (which is what the government says they are planning for the TrawsCymru (bus) reservation trials in the autumn).

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The no 1 Chester - Wrexham Arriva Sapphire service normally runs every 12 minutes during the day and operates til around 2330 (service less frequent later in the evening).
It is currently running every hour instead and finishes at 1830 or so.
I drove behind what is currently the last service today out of Chester and it had a "This bus is temporarily full" sign on it's LED display. It drove straight past the two stops I followed it past with people waiting.
I could see people inside from my car, but couldn't tell how many.
No doubt the driver was following policy, so no blame attached to him or her, but that's absolutely hopeless.

I saw exactly the same today on the Arriva #21 outside Wrexham.
Bus was about half full as far as I could see.

Following the derailment at Stonehaven, NRE has put this on its web site concerning alternative travel:
Alternative travel options:
The Scottish Government has made it clear that public transport should be used by those making necessary journeys only, so staff and passengers can maintain a physical distance from each other in stations and on trains. Please don’t travel if your journey isn’t a necessary one.
If your journey is necessary, your ticket will be valid on other trains between Edinburgh and Glasgow Central.

Like Wales, they really don't want you on board.

Furryanimal

Assuming there's a practical way to do that, indeed.

Not so useful if they just use the current reservation system where you have to queue up at a ticket desk to do that (and reservations close before the train leaves the first station so that they can put the reservations cards out).

Clearly such things can be done, as with the Cross-Country "instant" reservations.

It really needs an app and a call centre (which is what the government says they are planning for the TrawsCymru (bus) reservation trials in the autumn).
That sounds simple but is not necessarily allowed. And if you have one or more connecting services what happens if something goes wrong?

This idea of reservation only trains needs killing at birth. On the fourth day of a cricket match if it finishes at lunchtime (you can have no idea) or there is rain you want to return home on the first possible service. Not hang around for six or seven hours

If you have an anytime ticket (which I would for a local trip to Cardiff or Swansea) no problem. And bear in mind almost all my trains operate from to/from North Wales/North West. In normal times there is not much space available.

Last edited by a moderator:

AdamWW

Established Member
That sounds simple but is not necessarily allowed.And if you have one or more connecting services what happens if something goes wrong?This idea of reservation only trains needs killing at birth.On the fourth day of a cricket match if it finishes at lunchtime(you can have no idea) or there is rain you want to return home on the first possible service.Not hang around for six or seven hours.If you have an anytime ticket(which I would for a local trip to Cardiff or Swansea) no problem.And bear in mind almost all my trains operate from to/from North Wales/North West.In normal times there is not much space available.

I have views but I think we're getting into speculation here so I'd better not continue this.

Messaging on departure boards I saw yesterday had changed a little to something like:
"Essential travel only. Wear a face covering. It's the law"

Having looked again, it was more like "Essential travel only. Wear a face covering unless exempt. It's the law"

williamn

Just returned from a holiday in Betws-Y-Coed, traveled from London on the train. No issues, and clearly a lot of leisure travelers on TfW services. Only major problem was the Crewe-Chester train which was so busy it was impossible to socially distance on.

Announcements prior to my Chester-Llandudno train arriving suggested it would be very busy and hard to distance on (which I thought was good info to share with passengers) but when it turned up it was very empty!

Replacement bus on Conwy Valley line lightly used but not surprisingly given zero signage to bus stops and the bus displaying the name of the operator rather than the fact its a rail replacement bus.

Despite announcements on an Avanti service on my return after EVERY stop about face coverings needing to be worn on both mouth and nose and that fines were possible many chose not to wear over their nose and the crew didn't say anything to them, tho I don't blame them to be fair.

Ticket checked once on a total of 5 trains and 2 buses over the return journey!

Cardiff123

Established Member
Whilst Welsh Govt (and currently TfW themselves) might not approve of busy trains at the moment, it's encouraging that passenger numbers are picking up, despite the still largely negative messaging around travelling by public transport.

From photos I've seen of trains on the Valleys network though, a lot of those still are not very full.

AdamWW

Established Member
From photos I've seen of trains on the Valleys network though, a lot of those still are not very full.

My observation too.

So there clearly is capacity for leisure travel, though not to Barry on a sunny day...

Bikeman78

Established Member

There's little point in starting reservations until the summer holidays end. Two or three train loads equates to a whole days' quota of reservable places. How will the rest of the people get home if this is enforced?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I'm not sure which actual service it was now and with Journey Check records wiped when incident cleared, a TFW Carmarthen to Manchester yesterday was declared "Set down only" after Neath due to overcrowding and being unable to maintain social distancing.

Meole

Rail police are turning passengers back in Wales if their journey is deemed not essential.
Heard of 2 turned back attempting to travel from Shrewsbury to Aberdyfi not allowed to change at Machynlleth last week, friend behind them quickly invented a story about a relative to convince the interrogators.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Rail police are turning passengers back in Wales if their journey is deemed not essential.
Heard of 2 turned back attempting to travel from Shrewsbury to Aberdyfi not allowed to change at Machynlleth last week, friend behind them quickly invented a story about a relative to convince the interrogators.
Really? If this is true, it’s so wrong, it’s denying people their right to travel, and it’s directly discriminating between those who own a car and those who don’t.

What has happened to this county!? :(

Belperpete

Established Member

Belperpete

Established Member
(Compulsory reservations)I think a lot will depend on how they implement it. I.e. will it just use the current somewhat inflexible reservation system, and will people be denied access to trains without a reservation even if they have plenty of space? It shouldn't be hard to work out in due course which trains would and wouldn't need to be "reservation compulsory". And if the odd thing caught them out and a non-compulsory train got 'overloaded', not the end of the world in my view.
If it is anything like the system that CrossCountry have adopted, it will be a nightmare. Attempting to book ahead on XC now is next to impossible, as the limited number of socially-distanced seats on each train is rapidly used up, leading to a "train full" message for just about every train when you attempt to book. As I can't see TfW increasing the number of available seats on their trains, I foresee exactly the same thing happening. It will just put even more people off travelling if the booking websites tell them everything is full.

AdamWW

Established Member
If it is anything like the system that CrossCountry have adopted, it will be a nightmare. Attempting to book ahead on XC now is next to impossible, as the limited number of socially-distanced seats on each train is rapidly used up, leading to a "train full" message for just about every train when you attempt to book. As I can't see TfW increasing the number of available seats on their trains, I foresee exactly the same thing happening. It will just put even more people off travelling if the booking websites tell them everything is full.

Hmm. Not good.

Though there are plenty of TFW services where I suspect (or at least hope) this wouldn't happen.

The Valley line trains I saw this afternoon were mostly empty.

I travelled on a train heading towards Barry Island today and as well as handful of passengers it had two security guards.

Oddly enough I didn't see any families heading out for a day at the beach.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
This should be challenged through the courts. It could be deemed discriminatory, given they have no qualms about allowing car owners to make the same journeys.

Dai Corner

Established Member

Welsh Government said:
Essential travel restriction on public transport to be lifted
The Welsh Government has confirmed the essential travel restriction on public transport will be lifted from tomorrow (Monday, 17 August), opening up trains and buses to more potential passengers.
First published:
16 August 2020
Last updated:
16 August 2020
Essential travel restriction on public transport to be lifted