• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do second hand trains count as "new" trains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bramling

Veteran Member
Most real, normal, passengers will think it's a new train and be perfectly happy about it.

And, in any event, the age of the 360s is roughly the same as the current 222s (and considerably newer than the HSTs). So I'm not sure the MML passengers have anything to complain about regarding the age of the rolling stock - they had their new trains in the late 1990s, so by all rights it isn't their "turn" for brand new until the late 2020s at the earliest.

As regards the interiors, with the right refurbishment the interior specification should easily match the 222s - on top of that there's the added benefits of the trains being electric (quieter, more reliable, cheaper to run longer formations), longer formations planned, and for some destinations at least frequency doubling. Personally I'd take the new service any day, for the likes of Wellingborough 2tph of 8 or 12 car EMUs coming only from Corby is a *massive* upgrade IMO.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Domh245

Established Member
So I'm not sure the MML passengers have anything to complain about regarding the age of the rolling stock - they had their new trains in the late 1990s, so by all rights it isn't their "turn" for brand new until the late 2020s at the earliest.

Point of order, but they got new trains around 2004 (the 222s) and will be getting more new trains in a year (the 810s), although before the turbostars in the late 90s it had been something of a cinderella line

david1212

Established Member
This thread highlights a shortcoming of the English language. If two different words for

new - just built

new - an existing item built reappropriated

there would be clarity.

e.g. A ' reappropriated ' train fitted with ' just built ' ( as against overhauled / refurbished ) engines.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I think most people would say they were getting a new car if they mean new to them, i.e. used but newer than what they had. So I don't see why trains shouldn't be spoken about in the same way.

Presumably EMRs 'new' 360s are being introduced into revenue service in May with new interiors. They are the old threadbare former GA interiors with 3+2 commuter seating. But those interiors will be new for EMR customers who are paying inter-city prices.
I'm beginning to get the hang of this new PR propaganda.

The seats are being replaced, though I think not immediately, with I believe FISA LEANs.

bramling

Veteran Member
This thread highlights a shortcoming of the English language. If two different words for

new - just built

there would be clarity.

e.g. A ' reappropriated ' train fitted with ' just built ' ( as against overhauled / refurbished ) engines.

Is that not where the term “brand new” comes in?

tbtc

Veteran Member
"We are delighted to expand out fleet of boats as we introduce this NEW Ship Of Thebes..."

New is defined as "not previously used or owned". Otherwise it would be used. The 810s which will be seen on the MML in a few years are not currently in existence and are being built for EMR customers to use for the first time. Therefore they are definitely new trains.
The 360s were built and first used almost 20 years ago and were previously used by other operators - therefore, by definition, they're not new !

Are the 810s definitely "new" trains though?

By the pedantic standards of this thread, they will be new to Hitatchi, then given to Rock Rail, and only then used by East Midlands Railway - but made up of atoms that are billions of years old - some of which will have previously been used in other structures!

Sorry, but you're both wrong.

If someone says "I've bought a new house" or "I got a new car" do you assume they are newly built?

I was coming on the thread to make exactly the same comment - e.g. if I said that I had a new girlfriend then you wouldn't argue about the fact that she'd previously been someone else's girlfriend would you? Or is she only a "new" girlfriend if she's never been in a relationship before?

By the same token, if you see a press release telling me that a firm is opening a new shop, do you argue that "actually, I think you'll find that the premises were used by another company in the past"?

new - just built

there would be clarity.

Interesting point - especially as English often has a variety of words to allow more nuance than languages that are either "managed by committees" (e.g. French has some strict rules) or "effectively dying due to lack of use or because of adopting a lot of words from other languages" (I won't mention specific examples to avoid offending the kind of people who are rather sensitive to this kind of thing)... for example, some languages have nothing to distinguish "house" from "home", which makes English better to do poetry/ songs/ stories in (since you can be a lot more expressive) - yet here is an example where we use the same word to mean some rather different things (I know we sometimes say "brand new" or use other words, but generally "new" can be used for a variety of meanings)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Status
Not open for further replies.