• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

do they welcome foreign trainee driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

crvhonda

:Dim jus curious are there many foreign in the driver job, as myself see load of polish and asian in the bus driver post.:D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

KA4C

:Dim jus curious are there many foreign in the driver job, as myself see load of polish and asian in the bus driver post.:D

There are some foreign nationals driving trains for various TOC's. Obviously they need to have a fairly good standard of spoken english due to the need to undertake safety critical communication, but those who I have met (and managed) have clearer speech than some British staff

Established Member
I do know a Swedish driver, Icelandic guard, and a trolley dolley from Bangkok.

Rumour has it.

crvhonda

There are some foreign nationals driving trains for various TOC's. Obviously they need to have a fairly good standard of spoken english due to the need to undertake safety critical communication, but those who I have met (and managed) have clearer speech than some British staff

:roll:speech????:roll:
in what cirrcumstance the train driver need giving a speech ???

lvaxb24

When dealing with signallers, guards, public, pa messages, colleagues etc etc.

Simon11

Established Member
When dealing with signallers, guards, public, pa messages, colleagues etc etc.

Fully understanding the rule books and what to do in different scenarios.

Was rather gobsamcked though how you wondered why a train driver would need a good understanding of english :o

pendolino

Yes, plenty of drivers from all parts of the world at my TOC. As long as you have the required work permits or whatever, there's no reason why they shouldn't take you on.

But one of the key competencies of the job is safety critical communication which requires a high standard of English. If you can't communicate fluently in English, you won't be successful in any application. But this applies to any candidate, even native English speakers, and not all of those have the required communication skills.

387star

On Moderation

I know you are writing informally on a forum but there is a way to go with your writing skills. That's not to say anyone is perfect.

E&W Lucas

Established Member
we have a few foreign drivers including a brazillian, south african, aussie and a kiwi.

We have various nationalities too. Country of birth is not important; the ability to communicate in spoken and written English is.

Carlos22

I am Portuguese and I'm starting my training this month with Scotrail.During the recruitment process I was treated in the same way as anyone else who was aplying for the job, including locals. If you´re the right person for the job they will hire you, regardless of your nationality, religious background etc etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.