Do trains that don't call at Coombe Jn....

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by 4SRKT, 23 Nov 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4SRKT

4SRKT Established Member

...stop short of the platform? Otherwise, why not just advertise the stop?

Thx.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. theblackwatch

theblackwatch Moderator Staff Member Moderator

From my experience they reverse at the junction itself.

4. 4SRKT

4SRKT Established Member

Thank you. Thread over I suppose!

5. MidnightFlyer

MidnightFlyer Veteran Member

Yep, couple of hundred yards short of the station, when I did it they literally stopped as short as they could without blocking the junction.

6. theblackwatch

theblackwatch Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Be warned they don't even always go to the station even when booked to! The first time I did the branch (which admittedly was some time in the late 1980s or early 1990s), on the return the unit was booked to stop at the station but actually reversed at the junction. On my second trip, I was determined to get the rest of the track in, so forced the unit to go up to the platform by waiting there, in view of the driver, for the unit to come up to the station to pick me up! (For info, it's a 15 min or so downhill walk from Liskeard to Coombe Junction.)

7. MidnightFlyer

MidnightFlyer Veteran Member

When I did it in August 2009 my train to Looe was booked non-stop, so did as I described above. I returned to Liskeard on the last train of the night, due to call at Coombe Junction Halt (just Coombe then I think), which ran into the platform; but no doors were released (obviously the guard had seen on his check no-one needed to alight).

I remember reading somewhere that back in the old days, if you missed the southbound train at Liskeard you could run (downhill) to Coombe and be there in good time to make the train!

8. Weary Walker

Weary Walker Member

My step-father once told me he used to do that if he missed the train to school. (Back in the 1950's). [Lived in Liskeard, went to secondary school in Looe]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.