• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do West Midlands trains operate regular LNR services via Weedon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hb06_

Just saw a LNWR train on the WCML near Whilton Marina in Northamptonshire. I thought they had their own line to run services on around here so they could stop at Long Buckby, why are they on the WCML today? Is it maintenance?

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Just saw a LNWR train on the WCML near Whilton Marina in Northamptonshire. I thought they had their own line to run services on around here so they could stop at Long Buckby, why are they on the WCML today? Is it maintenance?

Thanks.

The Crewe via the Trent Valley service doesn't run via Northampton and hasn't done for a long time. Only one per hour though.

DannyMich2018

Does the Crewe-Euston still go via Northampton on Sundays? Of course it goes direct via Weedon Mon to Sat.

thenorthern

Established Member
I think it was around 2013 that the London Midland Trains from Crewe to London via Stoke-on-Trent started going via Weedon, it was around the time of the Project 110 when some Class 350s were converted to have a top speed of 110 mph instead of 100 mph.

I think some still run via Northampton on Sundays but most of the Crewe to London services now run via Weedon.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I've definitely been through the Kilsby Tunnel on a 350 - the roar is quite noticeable at 110! Much louder than a Pendo at 125!

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
A 350 at 110mph on the fast line via Weedon appears to go like the clappers!

DannyMich2018

If it wasn't for the noisy air con these (class 350) would be close to best and most comfortable train in the UK! Also anyone idea if that severe (permanent?) speed restriction is still in force between Nuneaton and Rugby (just before the motorway overbridge)?

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
There was always at least one service train booked that way daily , for obvious route knowledge retention - am 05xx BY to Birmingham in my day in the last century.

PupCuff

If it wasn't for the noisy air con these (class 350) would be close to best and most comfortable train in the UK! Also anyone idea if that severe (permanent?) speed restriction is still in force between Nuneaton and Rugby (just before the motorway overbridge)?

Accurate, until a 350/2 turns up on a long-distance diagram and then it would be close to the worst. Galling to be crammed into 3+2 lower quality seating on a several hour long journey and then you pass a 350/3 with 2+2, decent seats with tables etc trundling along on an all stops Brum local.

Established Member
Accurate, until a 350/2 turns up on a long-distance diagram and then it would be close to the worst. Galling to be crammed into 3+2 lower quality seating on a several hour long journey and then you pass a 350/3 with 2+2, decent seats with tables etc trundling along on an all stops Brum local.
The feeling of arriving into Euston having been on a 350/2 for over 4 hours from Liverpool and seeing a pair of 350/4s on a Tring stopper is soul destroying. Trust me.

Regarding the Sunday services, there certainly are lots (if not all) Crewe via Trent Valley services that run via Weedon.

Status
Not open for further replies.