• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do you have any model railway projects on the go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
Just for fun. Looked online and a 25 yard pack of N Gauge track is £70. Therefore to double track the above would come in around £7700 ! That’s without any turnouts loops or sidings included
Wow! I expect there'd be someone willing to do that though - although you'd probably need a team to even start thinking about making that.

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just for fun. Looked online and a 25 yard pack of N Gauge track is £70. Therefore to double track the above would come in around £7700 ! That’s without any turnouts loops or sidings included
Ok. I might have to have a rethink...

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Yes me too, although mine would more likely be WCML-based!
That appeals but I think I'd prefer a long section of one of the Scottish mainlines. Could do a nice chunk of the HML in 'N' with a very long shed to put it in! ;)

At last; time for an update on ‘Howling’.
Having got close to finishing the left hand half, I’ve put together the base for the right hand half and have abutted the two complete with their legs.
Mrs 32475 was sufficiently impressed with part 1 that she suggested we turn a spare bedroom into a hobby room for us both so that we can have a full circuit around the whole room. You will appreciate that this decision is the equivalent of planning consent being granted for a Travelodge in the middle of green belt land. Pointing out that the grandchildren is a winning card in such situations and my thoughts are with those of you who are banished to the cold draughty attics of this land, having to weave your layouts around roof trusses and purlins.
I attach a rough sketch plan of the right hand half and a couple of photos of both halves in situ. The right hand half will be much more three dimensional than I had planned originally since the more height variations and levels you have, the more interesting the layout becomes.
I’ll add further posts as the layout progresses, meanwhile many thanks so those of you with your very encouraging remarks. This is my first layout since I was a schoolboy really and I’ve so enjoyed getting back into the hobby.

.....and just in case you missed it before, here is the 'history' of the line, the Horsted Keynes & Eridge Railway

Attachments

• 0040432D-0CA3-430F-9CFE-1B7BFDEA2F62.jpeg
    0040432D-0CA3-430F-9CFE-1B7BFDEA2F62.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 24
  • 0C7D047D-FB9F-47D0-8C3E-135574ACF281.jpeg
    0C7D047D-FB9F-47D0-8C3E-135574ACF281.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 24
  • 865B04D1-6951-4F0C-87D0-A4BAE0CA06EA.jpeg
    865B04D1-6951-4F0C-87D0-A4BAE0CA06EA.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 23
  • Howling Railway write up.docx
    2.7 MB · Views: 7

Iskra

Established Member
I like your layout plan and what you've created so far is looking excellent! Also, congratulations on the planning permission ;)

Peter C

Established Member
Having got close to finishing the left hand half, I’ve put together the base for the right hand half and have abutted the two complete with their legs.
Mrs 32475 was sufficiently impressed with part 1 that she suggested we turn a spare bedroom into a hobby room for us both so that we can have a full circuit around the whole room. You will appreciate that this decision is the equivalent of planning consent being granted for a Travelodge in the middle of green belt land. Pointing out that the grandchildren is a winning card in such situations and my thoughts are with those of you who are banished to the cold draughty attics of this land, having to weave your layouts around roof trusses and purlins.
I attach a rough sketch plan of the right hand half and a couple of photos of both halves in situ. The right hand half will be much more three dimensional than I had planned originally since the more height variations and levels you have, the more interesting the layout becomes.
I’ll add further posts as the layout progresses, meanwhile many thanks so those of you with your very encouraging remarks. This is my first layout since I was a schoolboy really and I’ve so enjoyed getting back into the hobby.

.....and just in case you missed it before, here is the 'history' of the line, the Horsted Keynes & Eridge Railway
You're lucky to have a whole room for your layout - just the sort of thing I'd like to have one day. :)
A friend of mine has a similar sort-of set-up where they have a hobby room for everyone in the house; they're building their layout around the outside edge of the room and then other hobbies happen in the middle. I really like the history of the line - the detail is brilliant and sounds just like a (good) railway history book.

-Peter

Jaz avalley

Am loving the scenic area,water feature sweeping slopes up to nice backsceene and bridge out from the back so some scenic 3D can squeeze in,that is very nice modelling

reddragon

Established Member

I gave up my old model railway when I moved out from my parents a long time ago. My S&C layout is the return which I started in 2015.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I gave up my old model railway when I moved out from my parents a long time ago. My S&C layout is the return which I started in 2015.
I can relate to that, stopped the grand plans when we moved house some years ago and only gradually ramped them up.

The stock availability is much better now though, lots of new lines which suit my needs perfectly.

Also been a huge announcement in the Irish modelling world which suits me as well!

Peter C

Established Member
I've been doing some work on a particular bit of my layout over the past few days - this area being Oldmoor-on-Sea station.
Here's the trackplan I've come up with:
1615050294779.png

I'll do a quick explanation here.
Oldmoor-on-Sea is a seaside holiday resort somewhere in the south-west of England and is served by a three-platform station. There are regular services between Oldmoor-on-Sea and both Little Piddling-on-the-Wold and Oldmoor Junction, and the main stock used on the branchline between Little Piddling and Oldmoor-on-Sea is either a Class 153 or a Class 121. Platforms 1 and 2 are primarily passenger platforms, and Platform 3 is primarily a goods/parcels platform although it can be used for passenger services too.
The curved loop marked on the diagram is going to be used more as a siding with an entrance/exit at both ends than as a loop to hold a train in whilst other trains pass as the station isn't going to get an intense-enough service to warrant holding trains outside the platforms until a platform is free.
The grey area on the diagram (shown by the two grey lines) will be a raised walkway next to the railway. It'll be on the same level as the platforms and will connect to the end of platform 1 to provide easy access to the station from the town. It will have a row of shops along it and will be right next to the beach. There's probably going to be a gap between two of the buildings along the raised area to allow people to see the trains passing by. I'm thinking about scratchbuilding the shops along this bit as then they'll be the right size for the area provided.

If you're desperate to find out more about Oldmoor-on-Sea, and I'm sure you are ;))), I've made a post about it on my layout thread.

-Peter

Peter C

Established Member
Just rebuilding parts of my layout . As it's over 12 years old now.
Interesting - a lot of people go back and re-do parts of their layouts after doing scenery etc. the first time. What kind of layout do you have?

-Peter

NLC1072

I've been busy with Weston Parkway in N gauge, 14ft by 6ft four track mainline and a branch line. Modern image. Computer controlled, looks like the DLR when operating!

Attachments

• IMG_20210219_160711.jpg
    IMG_20210219_160711.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20210219_160723.jpg
    IMG_20210219_160723.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20210219_151108.jpg
    IMG_20210219_151108.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20210219_150024.jpg
    IMG_20210219_150024.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20210219_145956.jpg
    IMG_20210219_145956.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 21

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've been busy with Weston Parkway in N gauge, 14ft by 6ft four track mainline and a branch line. Modern image. Computer controlled, looks like the DLR when operating!

That looks amazing. The platforms look incredibly realistic with the markings on them.

Peter C

Established Member
I'm liking that! 14'x6' gives quite a bit of space too - especially in N gauge. It's not often that I see modern image layouts covering stations such as yours: N gauge seems to be a lot less common for modern image layouts (at least in my experience) than 00.

-Peter

NLC1072

I'm liking that! 14'x6' gives quite a bit of space too - especially in N gauge. It's not often that I see modern image layouts covering stations such as yours: N gauge seems to be a lot less common for modern image layouts (at least in my experience) than 00.

-Peter
Thanks! It has scale length WCML platforms ready for when revolution trains release the second batch of 11 car pendolinos. Can't wait!

That looks amazing. The platforms look incredibly realistic with the markings on them.
Thanks! Lots more work to do though!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks! It has scale length WCML platforms ready for when revolution trains release the second batch of 11 car pendolinos. Can't wait!

Thanks! Lots more work to do though!

It’s definitely a big project! What you’ve done so far looks spot on though. Thanks for posting the photos.

Peter C

Established Member
You're very welcome! I like the forward-planning. I'd be interested to see more of your layout in the future.

-Peter

BRblue33

Hi My layout is OO 1970/80s southern 3rd rail end to end. The main boards are 4ft by 2ft. It then goes to about 1ft wide . All the boards come apart so you can remove them to work on . Makes life more easy to work on them if you get a problem. All the wiring is connected with computer D connector between the boards.

Peter C

Established Member
Tonight.

Trees!

Will it never end?
Rumour has it @Cowley hasn't stopped making trees since... ;)

Apologies for posting in a thread which hasn't seen posts for a while, but I was wondering if anyone had made progress on their layouts recently? I really enjoy reading about how others have made/done things; inspiration for my own layout if nothing else. :)

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Rumour has it @Cowley hasn't stopped making trees since... ;)

Apologies for posting in a thread which hasn't seen posts for a while, but I was wondering if anyone had made progress on their layouts recently? I really enjoy reading about how others have made/done things; inspiration for my own layout if nothing else. :)

-Peter

51 this time. 30 for a friend and 21 for me.
Now I’ve got to latex them all, and the next railway I do is going to be set in the Sahara...

Status
Not open for further replies.