• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do you have any model railway projects on the go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liking the look of that trackplan. The signalbox with the detailing inside looks really cool too - reminds me I need to get on with detailing mine!
The lighting in the signalbox looks really nice as well. The track diagram at the back really adds to it. :D

-Peter
Many thanks indeed. Now I feel the obligation to keep working on it!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
Many thanks indeed. Now I feel the obligation to keep working on it!
You're very welcome!
May I ask if you got the interior fittings for the signal box from anywhere in particular, or did you make it yourself?

-Peter

You're very welcome!
May I ask if you got the interior fittings for the signal box from anywhere in particular, or did you make it yourself?

-Peter
I was lucky in having a box of bits and bobs given to me a while ago so the interior fittings are a combination of those and scratch built items. I never throw away unwanted bits of kits because it’s amazing how useful random odds and are when you need to improvise.

Peter C

Established Member
I was lucky in having a box of bits and bobs given to me a while ago so the interior fittings are a combination of those and scratch built items. I never throw away unwanted bits of kits because it’s amazing how useful random odds and are when you need to improvise.
Ah OK - thanks! I've got a small series of origami boxes which are used to store various bits of card from kits because as you say, they can be really useful. I think I might have a go at making my own scratchbuilt interior bits-and-bobs for the signal box and see how it goes, based on that :)

-Peter

Ah OK - thanks! I've got a small series of origami boxes which are used to store various bits of card from kits because as you say, they can be really useful. I think I might have a go at making my own scratchbuilt interior bits-and-bobs for the signal box and see how it goes, based on that :)

-Peter
Good luck Peter. My philosophy is not to get too hung up on absolute accuracy if you haven’t got the right parts but to build what gives the right character. I suppose you might call it imaginative freestyle modelling.

A bit more progress at Howling. Platform walls of card and Metcalfe brick paper are mostly in place and the platform buildings are getting there gradually. There will be a subway linking the forecourt with the far (up) platform. Access to the near (down) platform will be a covered timber staircase. The forecourt level will also have a small station building for ticket office etc. Much of what I show here is loose but just to give you an impression……
9598E661-DB46-4706-B3A6-E45D1506DA65.jpegBD80E82D-0EB4-4425-B933-CD5A5576D0B9.jpeg

Last edited:

Ever so slowly, Howling Station starts to take shape……..

Attachments

• 87D45CDD-5BEB-40C7-BAA2-AFC9F18D1172.jpeg
    87D45CDD-5BEB-40C7-BAA2-AFC9F18D1172.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12

Peter C

Established Member
Ever so slowly, Howling Station starts to take shape……..
I'm reliably informed my big sign saying "wot @Cowley sed" will be arriving imminently, but until then I can only comment on how you've really done a nice job with that so far. Very nice indeed!

-Peter

Many thanks chaps. Progress on Howling is as slow as the bucolic branch line atmosphere I’m trying to create. Weeds and weathering to follow as it all looks rather too neat and tidy at present.

malc-c

Time for some surgery

A while ago I re-laid the track on a second revision of an N gauge layout. However I opted to use wood that is typically used to make stud walls and as such for some reason or another warped, casing the ends to lift slightly. At the time I didn’t have the ideal location for the layout, which was sitting on top of a set of storage units, which may also have contributed to the warping. Due to circumstances, I now have an opportunity to sort out the warping frame and fix the base down to something more suited to the task. However I needed to separate the base form the old frame, which meant removing the cork to gain access to the screws that secured it to the frame. So out with the scalpel and let battle commence

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

reddragon

Established Member
Just a FYI=- TMC have a 50% sale on with some items more attractively priced than others.

However, as I know the forum loves a bubble car and NSE. DCC Sound version for £137 is an absolute steal...

Half the stuff has sold out! Both a pity really as there were so many bargains & a godsend as my wallet was saved!

1 purchase made of 3+ wanted, all sold out

Bargains are appearing across the market mow!

Iskra

Established Member
Half the stuff has sold out! Both a pity really as there were so many bargains & a godsend as my wallet was saved!

1 purchase made of 3+ wanted, all sold out

Bargains are appearing across the market mow!
Yes, it has flown off the shelf and their website is creaking under the pressure (unless Putin is at it again). I had issues buying a couple of items as other people got them quicker, so had to keep adjusting my basket accordingly.

What item did you get?

Yeah, I'm starting to see that- it is week before pay day which is the time the real bargains seem to appear. With the cost of living squeeze, I'm wondering if some retailers are seeing a sales decline, hence the heavier than usual discounting. One of my businesses is located in an expensive - sorry, upmarket - department store and I've noticed a sharp decline in footfall over the last few weeks, suggesting people are reigning in the spend.

reddragon

Established Member
Yes, it has flown off the shelf and their website is creaking under the pressure (unless Putin is at it again). I had issues buying a couple of items as other people got them quicker, so had to keep adjusting my basket accordingly.

What item did you get?

Yeah, I'm starting to see that- it is week before pay day which is the time the real bargains seem to appear. With the cost of living squeeze, I'm wondering if some retailers are seeing a sales decline, hence the heavier than usual discounting. One of my businesses is located in an expensive - sorry, upmarket - department store and I've noticed a sharp decline in footfall over the last few weeks, suggesting people are reigning in the spend.
I will post on my thread when it arrives! @Cowley will be happy that it is a weathered loco!

I also have a kettle in my sights at Kernow with a huge price cut too.

I am told that Hornby & Bachmann dumped huge amounts of back order stock on model shops who now need to clear a lot of older stock as per TMC so expect some serious pre 2020 stock clearances anytime soon!

Iskra

Established Member
I will post on my thread when it arrives! @Cowley will be happy that it is a weathered loco!

I also have a kettle in my sights at Kernow with a huge price cut too.

I am told that Hornby & Bachmann dumped huge amounts of back order stock on model shops who now need to clear a lot of older stock as per TMC so expect some serious pre 2020 stock clearances anytime soon!
Interesting! I'll be sharing a few of my own too, but one needs some work doing before posting so could be a little while before they arrive yet, I'm sure they are very busy with this sale!

Yes, it's worth watching Kernow's website too I've found. Could a bargains thread be useful?

Ah that explains it, yes a lot of it is the same older Hornby Stock you see flying around but there can be some good stuff in amongst.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
We’re exhibiting my friends railway Moors View at the Exeter Model Railway Show this weekend. If anyone is popping in please come and say hello. :)

malc-c

We’re exhibiting my friends railway Moors View at the Exeter Model Railway Show this weekend. If anyone is popping in please come and say hello. :)

Hope it all goes well,

Take some pics for us and have a good time!
Or a video tour of the layouts at the show....

A friend who visited the show has just whatsApp'd me a picture or two - Moors View

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-25 at 4.09.17 PM.jpeg

Last edited:

Ianigsy

Moors View looked a neat little layout in Railway Modeller a while back and must be even more evocative in the middle of June.

Perhaps you should invest in a USB fan or something to reinforce the wintry atmosphere!

Gloster

Established Member
Yesterday I finally restarted modelling. It has taken a time to put up a desk in one of the bedrooms (the main one), find my various bits and pieces, move them all upstairs and sort them out. I seem to have several examples of things I won’t need or that can be expected to last a lifetime, but haven’t got or have lost things I do need. I have started with an old Keyser kit of a SR Utility van to get in practice: if a make a bad job of it I can always paint it Engineer’s green and shove it at the end of a siding.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Thanks @Iskra. I took a few photos but it was incredibly busy and I didn’t get much time to look around.

There was this lovely little slate railway:
36F7E0F5-93BF-4EE5-9E9B-96CC75097C5F.jpeg

Then I think this was called Shelverton. I particularly liked the depiction of the long ago lifted track:
15AFAA9D-B320-4EA2-A8B4-90CCA48174FA.jpeg

C89666AA-825A-4445-A7B9-0783957FF5D5.jpeg

This is Chris M’s N gauge Dawlish Warren:
FDF54D4F-E526-4943-9826-3FB0501A778C.jpeg

D6F8E49B-6738-4A0F-B7B9-34E2A6C8DFEA.jpeg

And I was somewhat taken with this Southern Region steam depot, but unfortunately I can’t remember the name of it at the moment:
AA643E23-E038-49D7-9B80-1C8207FB0039.jpeg

And of course, no post in the modelling section would be complete without a Bubble Car:
B9134A8B-EAA6-4C8E-A1B4-BB5DFC2679B7.jpeg

Hope it all goes well,

Or a video tour of the layouts at the show....

A friend who visited the show has just whatsApp'd me a picture or two - Moors View

View attachment 116698
That’s great. I’ve had to make do with a few photos Malc as it was all a bit full on!

Odd for @Cowley to have a clean 37 running and in the snow!
It’s not my 37. My 37s would never look as clean as that! :lol:
I took this photo of the ploughs in action this afternoon and thought it looked suitably moody to include here:
37DA6A0F-DDBF-424C-A649-FB1386D05734.jpeg

Moors View looked a neat little layout in Railway Modeller a while back and must be even more evocative in the middle of June.

Perhaps you should invest in a USB fan or something to reinforce the wintry atmosphere!
That’s not a bad idea!
Paul was originally thinking about putting the whole layout in a gazebo so that we could dim the light down slightly. But I’m glad we didn’t now because the white of the snow wouldn’t have shown up so well.

Just as an aside, we actually ran 1950s steam until 12pm when we swapped it all for late 1980s stuff, including changing all the road vehicles. That was quite a stressful moment with lots of people watching! :lol:

Yesterday I finally restarted modelling. It has taken a time to put up a desk in one of the bedrooms (the main one), find my various bits and pieces, move them all upstairs and sort them out. I seem to have several examples of things I won’t need or that can be expected to last a lifetime, but haven’t got or have lost things I do need. I have started with an old Keyser kit of a SR Utility van to get in practice: if a make a bad job of it I can always paint it Engineer’s green and shove it at the end of a siding.
That’s really good to hear. I take it that’s an N gauge utility van kit @Gloster?

Gloster

Established Member
That’s really good to hear. I take it that’s an N gauge utility van kit @Gloster?
No, it is an OO one. I am not yet organised to put the small N-gauge board up, so I am getting on with starting building stuff for the long-term OO project. Most of the N-gauge stuff is ready to run.

Dawlish Warren was an interesting box with quite a variety of traffic and plenty of regulating decisions. I spent an enjoyable afternoon in the box around 1981.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
No, it is an OO one. I am not yet organised to put the small N-gauge board up, so I am getting on with starting building stuff for the long-term OO project. Most of the N-gauge stuff is ready to run.

Dawlish Warren was an interesting box with quite a variety of traffic and plenty of regulating decisions. I spent an enjoyable afternoon in the box around 1981.

That must have been great. Were there still 25s around then?

Gloster

Established Member
That must have been great. Were there still 25s around then?

No, the 25s departed in the autumn of 1980. It was a mixture of 31, the odd 33 and larger locos filling in on the work the 25s had done. I don’t think the 37s that replaced the 25s came far east of Plymouth. (All dredged from memory: I worked north of Exeter and lived above Central, so I was less familiar with the main line from Riverside southwards.)

Status
Not open for further replies.