• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do you have any model railway projects on the go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

O8yityityit

I'm not so worried about my Scottish/GB stock, that's easily obtained if I go really wrong and most wasn't that expensive, it's my much more expensive CIE stock I'm worried about(!).
I 'be been making use of my time by repainting some locos and stock.
I've tried before with various levels of success but I've finally got to a stage where I'm confident to try most jobs and be happy with the result.
Biggest revelation for me was learning from my son who us into warhammer and advised use if a nice flat wide brush. I'd always struggled with brush strokes but his suggestion has solved that for me.
His paints are excellent too and I found a couple which are a near perfect match for railfreight grey and warning yellow.20200523_112123.jpg
I had a couple of EWS bodyshells to work on. The locos in the background are painted in the warhammer grey.20200523_112038.jpg
After rubbing down to remove the EWS logo and stripe.20200523_115813.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I 'be been making use of my time by repainting some locos and stock.
I've tried before with various levels of success but I've finally got to a stage where I'm confident to try most jobs and be happy with the result.
Biggest revelation for me was learning from my son who us into warhammer and advised use if a nice flat wide brush. I'd always struggled with brush strokes but his suggestion has solved that for me.
His paints are excellent too and I found a couple which are a near perfect match for railfreight grey and warning yellow.View attachment 78456
I had a couple of EWS bodyshells to work on. The locos in the background are painted in the warhammer grey.View attachment 78457
After rubbing down to remove the EWS logo and stripe.View attachment 78458

Thanks for the suggestions, I have four old Lima Mk2D which I plan to use firstly to try out painting/weathering on. Later I might repaint them properly, fit them with modern flush glazing and use them in a push-pull set.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Oh well. That’s the neighbourhood gone...
4CBBC69D-8107-4494-BC6D-4B4BBEF6D029.jpeg

;)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
While I like what you've done there (it is like one of those battered old chalets you see with the paint peeling) I'm a bit lost with the joke! :oops:
Ah well it’s just my little ‘travellers that have bought a dilapidated bungalow’ scene.
Look, they’ve even thrown some old ovens in the garden (I’ve still to add a sofa and a burnt out car).

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Ah well it’s just my little ‘travellers that have bought a dilapidated bungalow’ scene.
Look, they’ve even thrown some old ovens in the garden (I’ve still to add a sofa and a burnt out car).

Oh dear, I thought they were washing machines - don't ask me why!

I like the idea of incorporating some form of dilapidation into my railway, trouble is presently I'm planning on modelling effectively open countryside so I'm unsure quite how to add that in as yet.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

I like the idea of incorporating some form of dilapidation into my railway, trouble is presently I'm planning on modelling effectively open countryside so I'm unsure quite how to add that in as yet.
It could have been washing machines...

There’s loads of dilapidated stuff in the countryside Hexagon. Like an old abandoned container or grounded BR van body, or bits of old rusty farm machinery. Fencing that’s falling down and rusting old cars shoved in the corner of a field etc.
There’s a farm up near us that has a public footpath through it and you just wouldn’t believe the amount of old cack lying around. :lol:
Just get a load of corrugated iron plasticard from Slaters and paint it rust coloured and you’re halfway there I reckon...

Peter Kelford

An old BR van like Cowley says, or an abandoned shed/barn.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
There’s loads of dilapidated stuff in the countryside Hexagon. Like an old abandoned container or grounded BR van body, or bits of old rusty farm machinery. Fencing that’s falling down and rusting old cars shoved in the corner of a field etc.
There’s a farm up near us that has a public footpath through it and you just wouldn’t believe the amount of old cack lying around. :lol:
Just get a load of corrugated iron plasticard from Slaters and paint it rust coloured and you’re halfway there I reckon...

Given its likely to involve rolling countryside a field with a small cameo scene with some random "junk" might work quite nicely.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
An old BR van like Cowley says, or an abandoned shed/barn.

It's trying to find things to fit two locales that complicates things to a degree. It doesn't have to be perfect, that would take too long, but something which fits both areas reasonably - not looking out of place in either, is the key.

Obviously removeable signage is doable but I wonder if removeable working signals (would all be colour lights) are doable or if I just have to go with a compromise?

Peter C

Established Member
It's lovely reading about everyone's projects. My current task is to sort out the new Hornby express (streamline) points I've got - I'm working out the geometry and it's all a mess at the moment so I think tomorrow I'll take a photo of it and show my progress.
I'm also thinking of a station name for the third station on the layout - it's a countryside halt and my current thought is to call it "Little Piddling on the Wold". Other answers on a postcard please! :D (the funnier the better)

I also read @Cowley's post about his new Class 121 and I believe belated birthday congratulations are in order - Happy (belated) Birthday! :D

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It's lovely reading about everyone's projects. My current task is to sort out the new Hornby express (streamline) points I've got - I'm working out the geometry and it's all a mess at the moment so I think tomorrow I'll take a photo of it and show my progress.
I'm also thinking of a station name for the third station on the layout - it's a countryside halt and my current thought is to call it "Little Piddling on the Wold". Other answers on a postcard please! :D (the funnier the better)

I also read @Cowley's post about his new Class 121 and I believe belated birthday congratulations are in order - Happy (belated) Birthday! :D

-Peter
Oh thanks Peter. :)
Greetings from Upper Piddling on the Water...

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I weathered my Bubble Car yesterday and added a bit of pipe work to the bufferbeam.
This involved fiddling about with the plastic pipes in the detail pack with some tweezers, using words that would make a bricklayer blush as they pinged off across the room, and then making new ones out of fine wire and painting them.
That’s what I’ve ended up doing with all of my stock in the end. The only things I’ve used out of the packs is the shackles generally.

970CACD1-0FCF-4BD1-A322-C8C73C6B83F2.jpegDC81E952-9DC4-4DAE-B79F-589F4BCEB266.jpeg

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
I weathered my Bubble Car yesterday and added a bit of pipe work to the bufferbeam.
This involved fiddling about with the plastic pipes in the detail pack with some tweezers, using words that would make a bricklayer blush as they pinged off across the room, and then making new ones out of fine wire and painting them.
That’s what I’ve ended up doing with all of my stock in the end. The only things I’ve used out of the packs is the shackles generally.

View attachment 78689View attachment 78690

Lovely stuff! I’m definitely not brave enough to weather a loco yet, though there’s an old Hornby 66 poor runner I’ve got that might have to be sacrificed. I’ve invested in an airbrush (though not used it yet) so want to build up my skill first. Dual action as that’s what looked to fit the bill when watching what other modellers use. The first job will be the final bit of track weathering (Railmatch Sleeper Grime on the ballast between the rails and on the immediate outside of the rails, then Roof Dirt and Precision Paints Oil Leakings.) If that goes well I might give stock weathering a go...

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Lovely stuff! I’m definitely not brave enough to weather a loco yet, though there’s an old Hornby 66 poor runner I’ve got that might have to be sacrificed. I’ve invested in an airbrush (though not used it yet) so want to build up my skill first. Dual action as that’s what looked to fit the bill when watching what other modellers use. The first job will be the final bit of track weathering (Railmatch Sleeper Grime on the ballast between the rails and on the immediate outside of the rails, then Roof Dirt and Precision Paints Oil Leakings.) If that goes well I might give stock weathering a go...
There’s been more weathering action this weekend.
;)
This little beauty arrived from Hattons on Friday, and after fitting it with a DCC chip I bravely set about detailing it.

DC8D91B2-6CF0-4432-8907-C88747C08A31.jpeg

This involved making a load of pipes up for the bufferbeam, cutting the nem coupling pocket off the front bogie so that I could get the snowploughs back as far as possible, cutting the middle section of the snowploughs out and filing down the other two as the ones fitted to 33s back then were smaller than standard.

I then fitted the etched nameplates and weathered it. All a bit fiddly but I’m really pleased with it and it runs lovely.

512E8DCE-AFC4-470E-A240-2D56B0A39391.jpeg

92602B66-4A3A-4394-8FF0-BDD7CDDFFA76.jpeg

9FFDC393-1C72-4377-A19B-745DDBB1A7BD.jpeg

That’s my youth growing up in the southwest right there. I had so many runs behind the real one in the 80s and I always really loved it in that livery.

Here’s a photo (not mine) of the real one:
FF6D8820-F9A0-4940-8B09-58269A58E2D3.jpeg

Peter C

Established Member
There’s been more weathering action this weekend.
;)
This little beauty arrived from Hattons on Friday, and after fitting it with a DCC chip I bravely set about detailing it.

View attachment 78773

This involved making a load of pipes up for the bufferbeam, cutting the nem coupling pocket off the front bogie so that I could get the snowploughs back as far as possible, cutting the middle section of the snowploughs out and filing down the other two as the ones fitted to 33s back then were smaller than standard.

I then fitted the etched nameplates and weathered it. All a bit fiddly but I’m really pleased with it and it runs lovely.

View attachment 78785

View attachment 78784

View attachment 78772

That’s my youth growing up in the southwest right there. I had so many runs behind the real one in the 80s and I always really loved it in that livery.

Here’s a photo (not mine) of the real one:
View attachment 78782
That looks amazing! :D I'd struggle to do that in 00 Gauge, let alone N!
The yellow snowploughs and the bits of red/orange on the pipes add some nice colour onto the front. The nameplate is a lovely little addition as well :D

-Peter

hexagon789

Veteran Member

View attachment 78689View attachment 78690

Totally out of area for my era but I quite fancy a Bubblecar! I'll have to content myself with a 107 instead!

I’m definitely not brave enough to weather a loco yet

I have an ever growing list to weather, trouble is while I'm quite content to weather a slightly battered Lima 37 I'm not so sure about my pristine 47/7. Though perhaps it's an omen that it's the very one that caught fire - 47713! ;)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Totally out of area for my era but I quite fancy a Bubblecar! I'll have to content myself with a 107 instead!

I have an ever growing list to weather, trouble is while I'm quite content to weather a slightly battered Lima 37 I'm not so sure about my pristine 47/7. Though perhaps it's an omen that it's the very one that caught fire - 47713! ;)
There’s an interesting article about Bubble’s in Scotland here:

Re weathering - There’s quite a few different ways to do it. You could try some weathering powder or water colours even like @Peter Kelford uses, at least that way you can remove it easily.
Give it a try I reckon. Even a bit of grime in some of the detail really brings a model to life.

@Peter C - Thanks for that, much appreciated sir.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I did a pretend start up earlier (I’m such a child sometimes). :)
I’d really like just one sound fitted loco in N gauge - preferably a blue 31/4 or a 37, just to run at home (I’m not a fan of DCC sound when you’re stuck next to it at a model railway show all weekend).

hexagon789

Veteran Member
There’s an interesting article about Bubble’s in Scotland here:

Thanks Cowley, I did know about Bubbles running on the ScR (they often did the hourly Dundee-Arbroath stoppers calling at all the wee halts that mostly get one train a day now) but I believe that ended some years before my period. Though I could apply Rule 1! ;)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks Cowley, I did know about Bubbles running on the ScR (they often did the hourly Dundee-Arbroath stoppers calling at all the wee halts that mostly get one train a day now) but I believe that ended some years before my period. Though I could apply Rule 1! ;)
Absolutely!
Or could you have one as a route learner perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.