• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do you have any model railway projects on the go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
TBH it’s all gone a bit mad with this project. It’s only a 900 x 550mm board on a coffee table but gawd knows how much I’ve spent since lockdown began... The ONLY thing I regret is using point clips rather than soldering.

However - I’ve got an Absolute Aspects ground position signal that needs it (soldering) so I’ve bought a soldering station, some solder and some flux. I’m less intimidated than with the airbrush so let’s see how it goes.

Having done some soldering in the past I would say the thing is to try not to melt solder in the wrong places! Easy enough to trim a slightly oversized lump in the right place, less easy to shift a huge gob four inches away from where you wanted it. I speak from experience of such things! ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianigsy

I recsll

I recall seeing SC55013 running around Waverley with white side windows as if it was being used for non passenger work.

This month's Traction magazine has a picture of Haymarket depot on pages 40-41 with a couple of the 122s in the background, including one with whitewashed windows.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
This month's Traction magazine has a picture of Haymarket depot on pages 40-41 with a couple of the 122s in the background, including one with whitewashed windows.

They certainly got about the Parcels units - Highland Mainline, Oban line, as well as pressed into service on Perth Dundee-Arbroath stoppers once or twice.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Started on the scenic work over the last couple of days. First ever go at using scatters and turfs and pleased with progress so far. Got to have a go at static grass next!

1EE3C2EA-C0BC-496E-B040-E59180E60474.jpeg
6AE92923-1DCD-4D90-8560-361892099B44.jpeg
E91CB9D4-139F-451F-BBFA-D7B71BF41210.jpeg

nlogax

Established Member
Started on the scenic work over the last couple of days. First ever go at using scatters and turfs and pleased with progress so far. Got to have a go at static grass next!

Looks fantastic so far, and I echo the comments about the very tidy trackwork and illuminated buffer stops. That and the small amount of greenery in the ditch between the sidings is very effective. Like the drainage covers too, that's a lovely touch.

All this talk of greenery has me wondering how buddleia could be represented..if any of you are on a mission to model today's railway ;)

malc-c

Wow, that looks so realistic... lovely ballsting and well blended application of the scatter material....excellent

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Looks fantastic so far, and I echo the comments about the very tidy trackwork and illuminated buffer stops. That and the small amount of greenery in the ditch between the sidings is very effective. Like the drainage covers too, that's a lovely touch.

All this talk of greenery has me wondering how buddleia could be represented..if any of you are on a mission to model today's railway ;)

Tajima1 Miniatures do some superb representations of bushes, tufts, shrubs and more. Highly recommend.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Thanks all! First go at doing this properly so great to hear the feedback that it looks okay.

It looks more than "okay", a very neat and professional job IMO. I've seen many a layout at exhibitions where the trackwork and ballasting looks like an afterthought or a rush job. You've clearly spent time with your first go at getting it right and it shows.

If I can do have as neat and job I'll be happy!

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Had a quick go of the Tajima1 tufts and bushes this evening. Dead easy to stick on and I really like the look they give.

C84D28B8-DB50-4048-BEBF-6920048DAA35.jpeg

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Had a quick go of the Tajima1 tufts and bushes this evening. Dead easy to stick on and I really like the look they give.

View attachment 80280
That looks superb.
I must also mention that the rust colour on the rails is absolutely spot on as well, it’s got a real metallic look to it. Is that just the spray paint you used or have you gone over it with something else?

hexagon789

Veteran Member

View attachment 80280

I like those, those are going on the list for sure! ;)

One of the great things about this thread is seeing what other people have used and with photos you get an idea how they look, very useful for getting ideas of scenic items to have a butcher's at

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
That looks superb.
I must also mention that the rust colour on the rails is absolutely spot on as well, it’s got a real metallic look to it. Is that just the spray paint you used or have you gone over it with something else?

I used the Railmatch dark rust through the airbrush for that. Great little colour.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Had a go at static grass yesterday after a bit of practice. Quite straightforward to do really. I used the WWS precision applicator and their basing glue and layering spray. 1, 2 and 4mm grasses. Enjoyable bit of modelling!

DBC77560-3EAB-454F-B4DC-7009047DE36C.jpeg

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Had a go at static grass yesterday after a bit of practice. Quite straightforward to do really. I used the WWS precision applicator and their basing glue and layering spray. 1, 2 and 4mm grasses. Enjoyable bit of modelling!

View attachment 80378
It’s good fun to do, actually I was a bit disappointed when I’d finished and I was half tempted to do the kitchen table but apparently that’s not allowed...
Looks good by the way, still loving the lights on the buffers.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
It’s good fun to do, actually I was a bit disappointed when I’d finished and I was half tempted to do the kitchen table but apparently that’s not allowed...
Looks good by the way, still loving the lights on the buffers.

Same! I wanted to static grass the lot straight away. Really enjoyable but will be better sticking to my plan!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Same! I wanted to static grass the lot straight away. Really enjoyable but will be better sticking to my plan!
A friend of mine (he’s on here actually) took this at Fowey a couple of weeks ago when he was working there. It inspired me into making another grassy siding at some point.
D3CAE781-3CDE-482F-9AA0-272F0366AF36.jpeg

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Got myself a new mk2 in blue and grey today:
A8BD8871-7FB2-49A2-950A-7D0D67BFAFD6.jpeg

It needs weathering but it’s rather nice and brings back lots of memories for me.
I’ve now got a decent blue and grey rake of about seven coaches which look the business behind my 50. :)

I’ve also started gathering up what I need to make the station building at Eggesford which is the next project. It’s a complicated building though so I’m going to make sure I have a plan before starting.

malc-c

Looks nice... I've been looking at getting some more MK1's in Maroon - I'm shocked at the price that some coaches are listed at on e-bay.... !! Model railways certainly isn't the cheap hobby it used to be when you could pick up boxed second hand N gauge MK1's and 2 for £10 each !! - these days you can have £250 - £300 behind that 50 of yours !!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Looks nice... I've been looking at getting some more MK1's in Maroon - I'm shocked at the price that some coaches are listed at on e-bay.... !! Model railways certainly isn't the cheap hobby it used to be when you could pick up boxed second hand N gauge MK1's and 2 for £10 each !! - these days you can have £250 - £300 behind that 50 of yours !!
You’re absolutely right about that!
You can easily pay £40+ for even an N gauge coach these days.
The way I’m doing it now is only buying things that are reasonably specific to the area and era that I’m modelling, and only if it’s cheap...
That’s worked pretty well for me recently because something seems to come up every few weeks and I’m not spending too much money on it. ;)

malc-c

I know things change, but once upon a time ebay was were people offered second hand items at reasonable prices. These days brand new items are listed for more than the price in Hattons or Rails.... I sold two old locos this week as they were too hard to convert to DCC, and both were outside the era I want to model. One, a 4-6-2 King George VI is circa 33-35 years old, and was still a good runner, but I listed it for a realistic £70 or £65 best offer - It sold in minutes of listing... as did a GWR 94xx pannier for £40 that was around 30 years old. I might have gotten more for them, but looking back I got back what I paid for them at the time. I certainly wouldn't expect to pay £35 for a 30 year old unboxed MKI carriage....

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I know things change, but once upon a time ebay was were people offered second hand items at reasonable prices. These days brand new items are listed for more than the price in Hattons or Rails.... I sold two old locos this week as they were too hard to convert to DCC, and both were outside the era I want to model. One, a 4-6-2 King George VI is circa 33-35 years old, and was still a good runner, but I listed it for a realistic £70 or £65 best offer - It sold in minutes of listing... as did a GWR 94xx pannier for £40 that was around 30 years old. I might have gotten more for them, but looking back I got back what I paid for them at the time. I certainly wouldn't expect to pay £35 for a 30 year old unboxed MKI carriage....

You should see the silly prices some even 10 or 15 year old Irish RTR goes for or even the older Lima stuff. A more recent vehicle type, a "Galway" Mk2D EGV, went for a few hundred not long ago, they were ~£45 new as I recall.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Carried on building up the static grass over the weekend. I’m finding it one of the most enjoyable bits to do at the moment, I suppose because it’s quite quick and easy to achieve a good result.

6C1A0522-737D-4A49-8CAA-0C0F39469CC0.jpeg
A9FD0C32-AE51-4935-95D5-DE175EBE1082.jpeg
E566CF8C-F950-4C8F-9B0A-C88AA1B33B5A.jpeg

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Great job Tom. The siding on the left looks really good the way you’ve done the grass.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Carried on building up the static grass over the weekend. I’m finding it one of the most enjoyable bits to do at the moment, I suppose because it’s quite quick and easy to achieve a good result.

View attachment 81430
View attachment 81431
View attachment 81432

Very nicely done, it looks exactly like some of the lesser used sidings you see at depots such as Eastfield with the grass like that.

One of the small, slightly fiddly but very satisfying jobs I should think when one looks at the end result of one's handiwork.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Speaking of model railway projects on the go I started making my first tree for the next railway extension yesterday but I sent a photo of it to a friend and he asked if I could make him some? So I guess that it isn’t going to be one of mine in the end...

D5B14F77-53F9-4604-AE3D-CAA6CC54DA4C.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.