• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do you have any model railway projects on the go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veteran Member
I’d love to see a photo once you’ve finished them?
For your amusement, the resprayed Mk1 3-set (needs close-coupling at the very least, and a set number).t
In front is one of the PECO/Kitmaster coach interiors - viewed at a distance through a window they are a distinct improvement on 60s pale blue plastic. The packaging says 2/6d... I didn't bother with toilet and guard's compartment fittings for obvious reasons.
The coach is one I bought in Triang green (they cost a shilling more in green), just to show the difference in colour. It has the BR crest which is only correct for the Royal Wessex set - to which I am allocating it, naturally :)
20210430_111213~2.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
For your amusement, the resprayed Mk1 3-set (needs close-coupling at the very least, and a set number).t
In front is one of the PECO/Kitmaster coach interiors - viewed at a distance through a window they are a distinct improvement on 60s pale blue plastic. The packaging says 2/6d... I didn't bother with toilet and guard's compartment fittings for obvious reasons.
The coach is one I bought in Triang green (they cost a shilling more in green), just to show the difference in colour. It has the BR crest which is only correct for the Royal Wessex set - to which I am allocating it, naturally :)
View attachment 95297

That’s lovely. :)
What a great thing to be able to use so many years later.
I didn’t realise that about the crest. I thought all the green mk1s had them?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
A minor update. I have switched to model a single location now - Perthshire, a section of the Scottish Central Line.

I've done this for simplicity and stick reasons.

The layout will however represent more than one period. With the stock I have the present plan is two models two distinct years in the 1980s (I deliberately went for a gap to make them distinct from each other as certain elements understandably overlap) plus the early 2000s era that I have personal memory of.

1) 1982 - The 'Tartan Taktfahrplan' period
2) 1986 - increased frequencies, HST, InterCity livery appears, ScotRail Express push-pulls etc
3) ~2004/05 - GNER HSTs, ScotRail 158/170s etc

Iskra

Established Member
A minor update. I have switched to model a single location now - Perthshire, a section of the Scottish Central Line.

The layout will however represent more than one period. With the stock I have the present plan is two models two distinct years in the 1980s (I deliberately went for a gap to make them distinct from each other as certain elements understandably overlap) plus the early 2000s era that I have personal memory of.

2) 1986 - increased frequencies, HST, InterCity livery appears, ScotRail Express push-pulls etc
That sounds very interesting, I'm looking forward to hearing more in the future! I also like your multiple era approach, great for the indecisive and those with random collections of rolling stock :D

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Where have you got to with regards to finding some space to make something now?

Peter C

Established Member

I like the sound of that. Having the three different time periods should make for some good operational interest. :D

-Peter

hexagon789

Veteran Member
That sounds very interesting, I'm looking forward to hearing more in the future! I also like your multiple era approach, great for the indecisive and those with random collections of rolling stock :D
Yeah, I couldn't decide so fixing those 3 periods allows them to be modelled with reasonable accuracy as to period features. The semaphore signalling for one, applies to all 3 periods.

Where have you got to with regards to finding some space to make something now?
Oh I have space, it's more finding the time and inclination to get started - various other things seem to get in the way.

I like the sound of that. Having the three different time periods should make for some good operational interest. :D

-Peter
And it matches the stock I have, nothing will be 'out of period' then.

raetiamann

Looking forward to seeing how it develops.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
This is what you have to do when you’ve put the crossmembers on your baseboard in the wrong place and you can’t get a point motor underneath the board...

00F2BF93-3A37-4913-AD8D-4DFD585FF738.jpeg

Always plan things out properly kids! :lol:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Training to be a baseboard surgeon? ;)

I just spent an hour trying to wire two point motors up before realising that one of them was faulty.
I’ve got 16 points in the fiddle yard and new station areas but only really one of them in the scenic bit (the one in the photo above).
Do you know what? The one in the scenic area works so I’m just going to live with the rest of it and that’ll do. :lol:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I just spent an hour trying to wire two point motors up before realising that one of them was faulty.
I’ve got 16 points in the fiddle yard and new station areas but only really one of them in the scenic bit (the one in the photo above).
Do you know what? The one in the scenic area works so I’m just going to live with the rest of it and that’ll do. :lol:
I don't envy you there, if you ended up digging that lot up - what a job that would be.

I keep up with a large home layout that the owner posts updates to rmweb on, he has a website dedicated to it as well though. Everytime it has a down period and he does work on it I always feel for him when certain things don't work quite right and the pointwork is one area in particular. All scratch built as well. I have nothing but admiration for people who can scratch build all their track, buildings and stock.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I don't envy you there, if you ended up digging that lot up - what a job that would be.

I keep up with a large home layout that the owner posts updates to rmweb on, he has a website dedicated to it as well though. Everytime it has a down period and he does work on it I always feel for him when certain things don't work quite right and the pointwork is one area in particular. All scratch built as well. I have nothing but admiration for people who can scratch build all their track, buildings and stock.

Any chance of posting a link Hexagon? It’s always interesting having a look at stuff like that.
I’ve got a thread on there myself which I dip into from time to time if things are quiet on here.
I full of admiration for people that make their own track. It does look amazing if it’s done well and I suppose it’s like everything - if you really commit to doing something it can seriously pay off.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Any chance of posting a link Hexagon? It’s always interesting having a look at stuff like that.
I’ve got a thread on there myself which I dip into from time to time if things are quiet on here.
I full of admiration for people that make their own track. It does look amazing if it’s done well and I suppose it’s like everything - if you really commit to doing something it can seriously pay off.
I'll post you a link to his website if you like?

He models various things but his main layout, and the one I 'follow' progress on is a fictional continental narrow gauge system for which the website is named.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'll post you a link to his website if you like?

He models various things but his main layout, and the one I 'follow' progress on is a fictional continental narrow gauge system for which the website is named.

Yes that’d be great. :)

hexagon789

Veteran Member
It’s really quirky but there’s something about it that just says fun.
I love ramshackle narrow gauge stuff.
It's the quirkiness, as well as the uniqueness - the fact there's simply nothing else like it and it's quite different from the layouts you see on the exhibition circuit that appealed to me.

I've been following it for a few years now and I still enjoy the unusual nature and premise of the system.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It's the quirkiness, as well as the uniqueness - the fact there's simply nothing else like it and it's quite different from the layouts you see on the exhibition circuit that appealed to me.

I've been following it for a few years now and I still enjoy the unusual nature and premise of the system.

Yeah I can see that definitely.
My dad (@Oerlikon) is a bit off the wall with the narrow gauge stuff.
He’s got a G gauge Lynton and Barnstaple train that runs between two of the cupboards in his kitchen with various suspect looking cameos dotted around.
My stepmother is very patient with him to be fair...

AJM580

Thought I'd share some pictures taken recently of my small layout. Never really had the space in our old house, so a lot of the collection was in the loft gathering dust until we moved and I inherited a shed large enough for what I wanted. Originally I thought of doing a wagon repair depot, but after a while playing around, I decided to turn it into a heritage museum, with the premise that a very rich farmer has built a small railway on his land. There's going to be a small platform at one end, with another halt near the engine shed for brake van shuttles. Motive power is a mix of locos that mean something to me such as 50018 "Resolution" (first 50 for haulage) and the GWR pannier tank (a favourite loco of my late father). There's also going to be a section devoted to a bus garage, so that I can show off some of my Routemaster buses. Still a work in progress as the shed needs some work on it.101_0474.JPG101_0535.JPG

Attachments

• 101_0529.JPG
    101_0529.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 5
  • 101_0529.JPG
    101_0529.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 6
  • 101_0544.JPG
    101_0544.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 5
  • 101_0528.JPG
    101_0528.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 6

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thought I'd share some pictures taken recently of my small layout. Never really had the space in our old house, so a lot of the collection was in the loft gathering dust until we moved and I inherited a shed large enough for what I wanted. Originally I thought of doing a wagon repair depot, but after a while playing around, I decided to turn it into a heritage museum, with the premise that a very rich farmer has built a small railway on his land. There's going to be a small platform at one end, with another halt near the engine shed for brake van shuttles. Motive power is a mix of locos that mean something to me such as 50018 "Resolution" (first 50 for haulage) and the GWR pannier tank (a favourite loco of my late father). There's also going to be a section devoted to a bus garage, so that I can show off some of my Routemaster buses. Still a work in progress as the shed needs some work on it.View attachment 96051View attachment 96052

That’s a really good concept for an interesting layout, a bit of a combination of places like Mangapps, Ruddington and other operations.
There’s something about heritage operations that are begging to be made into models - like even just the fact that you could get away with two stations in a small area convincingly.
I often look at preserved locos and think that even though they often look pristine from afar, when you get up close there’s always little weathering and gloss paint details that are different to how they were in traffic back in the day.

malc-c

Just testing the water here... I've been developing my own servo point motor controller and had some 3d printed servo mounts professionally produced which were received the other day.

S2870001.JPG

Unlike most servo point motors this uses a true linear motion rather than angular motion traditionally associated with using servos. They work well with my own Arduino based controller that I'm developing, but would equally work with a Megapoints unit. Anyway this got me thinking, maybe other modellers might be interested in them, so looked at the cost for supplying these as a ready made unit complete with servo, and based on a minimum order of six sets it works out at £45.00 plus postage and packing.

If anyone is interested in a set, drop me PM, and if I receive enough interest will start the ball rolling. To keep cost down I use the economy option which takes 10-14 days plus postage, so it could be a few weeks before the order is received.

It's quite fascinating to watch the point move at a scale speed and almost in silence, rather than being hammered across by a solenoid, and much more realistic.

Jaz avalley

Thought I'd share some pictures taken recently of my small layout. Never really had the space in our old house, so a lot of the collection was in the loft gathering dust until we moved and I inherited a shed large enough for what I wanted. Originally I thought of doing a wagon repair depot, but after a while playing around, I decided to turn it into a heritage museum, with the premise that a very rich farmer has built a small railway on his land. There's going to be a small platform at one end, with another halt near the engine shed for brake van shuttles. Motive power is a mix of locos that mean something to me such as 50018 "Resolution" (first 50 for haulage) and the GWR pannier tank (a favourite loco of my late father). There's also going to be a section devoted to a bus garage, so that I can show off some of my Routemaster buses. Still a work in progress as the shed needs some work on it.View attachment 96051View attachment 96052
I always think this is the most exciting stage,getting a feel for the space,seeing how much track can fit getting in a shunting puzzle, and usually a station and platform/s and then a bit of scenery,tying it to childhood memories,making it personal, enjoy,this is the most creative stage

MotCO

Established Member
Just testing the water here... I've been developing my own servo point motor controller and had some 3d printed servo mounts professionally produced which were received the other day.

View attachment 96090

and based on a minimum order of six sets it works out at £45.00 plus postage and packing.
To clarify, is it £45 for six, or each?

reddragon

Established Member

View attachment 96090

Unlike most servo point motors this uses a true linear motion rather than angular motion traditionally associated with using servos. They work well with my own Arduino based controller that I'm developing, but would equally work with a Megapoints unit. Anyway this got me thinking, maybe other modellers might be interested in them, so looked at the cost for supplying these as a ready made unit complete with servo, and based on a minimum order of six sets it works out at £45.00 plus postage and packing.

If anyone is interested in a set, drop me PM, and if I receive enough interest will start the ball rolling. To keep cost down I use the economy option which takes 10-14 days plus postage, so it could be a few weeks before the order is received.

It's quite fascinating to watch the point move at a scale speed and almost in silence, rather than being hammered across by a solenoid, and much more realistic.
Interesting, not got to doing points yet! I have a lot of points to do as DCC.

Peter C

Established Member
That sounds like a really cool idea. I haven't seen many layouts based on that sort of idea, despite small railways, or private lines, being really quite common - people tend to model either one heritage station, or a tiny industrial scene, and never mix both. :)

-Peter

malc-c

To clarify, is it £45 for six, or each?

£45 would be for a pack of 6 mounts and six servos - Making it £7.50 per point. Packing and postage would probably be around £5 for one pack, but naturally scalable if anyone wanted to order more than 6.

Here's a short video showing the motion. Using an arduino or megapoints controller you can get that down to a crawl

Status
Not open for further replies.