• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do you need a Rail Card at the time of Buying a Discounted Ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSP 2

You can buy tickets for other people so the name on the railcard is irrelevant anyway.

I have always thought that you had to be the rail card holder to use the ticket.
F & F rail card Terms & Cons.
Section 2
The railcard and tickets bought with it are not transferable to anyone else and you must not give, lend, or resell them.
Only the named cardholder(s) can use the railcard.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pdq

What's wrong with the ticket office simply stamping the ticket with restrictions advised or similar. This will prove that the purchaser has been warned and act as a flag to any ticket inspectors to pay extra attention.
This would be an easy solution in those cases where tickets are being bought for future travel.

sheff1

Established Member
You can buy tickets for other people so the name on the railcard is irrelevant anyway.

According to Sheffield booking office you cannot do that if a railcard is involved, even if the person you are wanting to buy a ticket for is a child whose name wouldn't appear on the railcard anyway.

jfollows

Established Member
It's confusing and goes to the crux of the question being asked, in the old days when you had to buy a ticket from a station it was relatively simple, but now when you buy an online ticket and select the appropriate railcard discount, are you you buying the ticket with the railcard you already hold or are you buying a ticket which you will only use accompanied with a valid railcard? The latter, in reality, I think.

When I'm 60, in a couple of years, and I get tickets bought for me by the charity for whom I do a little voluntary work, why wouldn't they do so with a railcard discount if I tell them I've got one? Technically, then, do I have to buy the ticket myself and claim reimbursement from the charity? But they want to encourage me to do work for them so they're more than happy to buy me rail tickets which I can use in due course.

jfollows

Established Member
According to Sheffield booking office you cannot do that if a railcard is involved, even if the person you are wanting to buy a ticket for is a child whose name wouldn't appear on the railcard anyway.
From what I've seen on this forum, having any interaction with Sheffield booking office including buying tickets should be avoided if at all possible.
If I were to try and buy an advance ticket from them for travel in May using my two together railcard which expires in April, they would probably refuse to sell it to me!

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Probably going to mirror what has already said (so apologies).
Personally when I'm selling tickets:
If the passenger is travelling that day, I insist on seeing their valid railcard.
If the passenger is buying in advance, I will just remind them that they need to buy/renew their railcard before they travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.