• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do you think First Class is worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

highspeed990

First class is always expensive but is it worth what you pay for?

I think on high speed or long distance trains, they are worth it. It's more luxurious, you get food and refreshments, Grand Central has excellent first class for example.

Whereas on commuter or regional trains the first class is just a different section with perhaps some more armrests and tables. Not to mention, depending on the area, you'll get a load of yobs sitting in it anyway.
Thameslink probably has the worst first class, with just tables added.

Thoughts?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member

I raise you First Class on Gatwick Express/Great Northern 387s & Southern 377/6-7s for worst FC, exactly the same seating, just with an antimacassar.

I have a feeling this topic has been done quite recently, with the conclusion that FC for long distance services is worth it, for commuter services paying extra all that gives you is a better chance of a seat

Lemmy99uk

So it begs the question - when I get my 1st class all line 7 day rover next year, which are the must do's?

GWR, VT, VTEC are top off my list along with the Caledonian sleeper, but which other TOCs offer a really high standard in first?

RJ

Established Member
First class is always expensive but is it worth what you pay for?

I think on high speed or long distance trains, they are worth it. It's more luxurious, you get food and refreshments, Grand Central has excellent first class for example.

Whereas on commuter or regional trains the first class is just a different section with perhaps some more armrests and tables. Not to mention, depending on the area, you'll get a load of yobs sitting in it anyway.

Thoughts?

YMMV on that one. I used GC once from York to London. The first class carriage was crowded. The tables were strewn with litter, the power point wasn't working and the person on the trolley looked absolutely miserable and concealed the drink options (I only wanted some juice) until hassled by a regular passenger for it. There was also no hot food on offer. As a result, I would never pay for that again and wouldn't recommend it to anyone else - and doubt I'm the only one.

ATW - travelled from Crewe to Cardiff on a loco hauled set a few years back and was happy with the service and food offering. As I bring my laptop on my travels, power points would have been nice but if that isn't a concern, it's a service worth paying a small premium for.

EMT, I would and have paid extra for First. The carriages have always been tidy and I really like their food menu - simple choices which are pretty good as far as mobile dining goes. I don't even mind paying extra for the food. The staff are generally very nice and deliver a decent service overall.

EC and GW have a decent hard product, but the soft product is hit and miss. Travelled down to Plymouth twice, both times on advertised dining trains in both directions, only there was no dining service due to staff shortages. As a consequence I'd never make a long distance journey on one of GW's trains without sorting a meal before boarding. On a Turbo the cabin was filthy and largely occupied by people who were quite vocal in discussing how they didn't have a FC ticket.

Commuter trains have a First Class section for a different purpose - to offer extra comfort and/or a greater chance of getting a seat.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Not this again. We have discussed this countless times before and I'm sure we have come to the conclusion that there is a place for first class provided that the accommodation provided is significantly different to warrant charging a higher price i.e. not just the same seats as standard with a "First Class" antimacassar on it. :D

fowler9

Established Member
Have had some really good advanced first ticket deals with Trans Pennine and Virgin (in one or maybe more case cheaper than the standard class advance!). Really enjoyed them. Would I pay out of my own pocket for full price first class, no. This has been done to death.

nlogax

Established Member
I find 'worth it' is a function of both distance and price. Longer distance + smaller price = happy me. This weekend I'm doing London > Scotland > back to London for well under £150 and Virgin will be feeding / watering me in both directions. Well worth it from this perspective.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
First class is always expensive
It isn't always expensive.
but is it worth what you pay for?
Yes, it is worth what I pay for it (otherwise I wouldn't pay it!)

It probably isn't worth what some other people pay for it, in my opinion (but it may be worth it to them!)
If I use Grand Central, I'll aim for an HST and go in the declassified 1st class coach (only problem is that coach can get well loaded as all the regulars know about it!)
I would like to see an end to the misnomer 1st class that exists on the likes of GTR, which in some cases is identical to Standard Class.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
I would like to see an end to the misnomer 1st class that exists on the likes of GTR, which in some cases is identical to Standard Class.

Except it's only supposed to contain 1st class ticket holders - 1st class is more expensive than Standard, and so there are fewer 1st class ticket holders, hence holders are more likely to get a seat. That's essentially the logic. In which case one could say it's not identical to Standard as it's less likely to be sardines.

highspeed990

What I mean is a first class ticket is always expensive compared to the corresponding standard ticket.

Also I've noticed on some of my threads that people are linking me to similar threads posted before. I try to search if similar things are being posted but a lot of these threads haven't had any posts in a while and I don't want to be that guy that bumps old threads.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
What I mean is a first class ticket is always expensive compared to the corresponding standard ticket.

Not strictly true!

You can most definitely end up in a situation where all (or all of the cheap) standard class advance tickets have been sold but there are still some cheap first class advances. I've done Exeter to Bristol on such a ticket before (it was a while ago, but the first class advance I got was about £2/3 cheaper than the standard class advances that were on sale at the same time).

Granted, most of the time you are correct. But there are odd exceptions sometimes (which is why a blanket "no first class travel" policy that many companies have for travel on expenses is so stupid).

fowler9

Established Member
Not strictly true!

You can most definitely end up in a situation where all (or all of the cheap) standard class advance tickets have been sold but there are still some cheap first class advances. I've done Exeter to Bristol on such a ticket before (it was a while ago, but the first class advance I got was about £2/3 cheaper than the standard class advances that were on sale at the same time).

Granted, most of the time you are correct. But there are odd exceptions sometimes (which is why a blanket "no first class travel" policy that many companies have for travel on expenses is so stupid).
Yeah, I said above I have paid less in First than the cheapest Standard option on occasion. Bargains they were as well.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It isn't.

It may be cheaper, the same price, or only a little extra.
Also I've noticed on some of my threads that people are linking me to similar threads posted before. I try to search if similar things are being posted but a lot of these threads haven't had any posts in a while and I don't want to be that guy that bumps old threads.
If you have something significant to add (which would be the case if there is nough new material to post a new thread), this is not actually "bumping"

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/what-does-it-mean-to-bump-a-post
In online lingo, "bumping" refers to posting in a thread on a message board solely to move the thread to the top of the forum. Bumping increases the thread's visibility, but because a bump doesn't contribute anything new, many communities view it as a type of [spam]...

ChilternTurbo

Highly dependent on the TOC. I would never bother on Southern or any of the commuter lines. Oh and don't get me frankly ludicrous first class option on the Heathrow Express - which I've tried to be upsold on a couple of occasions…

SaveECRewards

Highly dependent on the TOC. I would never bother on Southern or any of the commuter lines. Oh and don't get me frankly ludicrous first class option on the Heathrow Express - which I've tried to be upsold on a couple of occasions…

Certain airline status card holders get free upgrades to first class on the HEX. I'll not turn down a free upgrade. Sometimes Heathrow Rewards also sends out free upgrade offers to their members.

Otherwise I'd not see the point in paying extra for first class unless the HEX is really crowded and you can't stand for 15-20 minutes. It's impressive the amount of space the HEX gives in 1st, if that product was on a train that did longer journeys I would pay for it!

Established Member
Heathrow Express First Class is nice-the seats aren't as comfy as you'd expect for the price and I was slightly disappointed no refreshments were available. I know it's only a short journey, but giving out a bottle of water and maybe a biscuit wouldn't be too much to ask-would it?

Granted-the only reason I was in First Class was (or even on the train at all) was because I was 15 and kids travel free on HEX-I certainly wouldn't have paid for it! I did hear someone comment that 'there weren't any celebrities on the train this time!'

Bromley boy

Established Member
Heathrow Express First Class is nice-the seats aren't as comfy as you'd expect for the price and I was slightly disappointed no refreshments were available. I know it's only a short journey, but giving out a bottle of water and maybe a biscuit wouldn't be too much to ask-would it?

Granted-the only reason I was in First Class was (or even on the train at all) was because I was 15 and kids travel free on HEX-I certainly wouldn't have paid for it! I did hear someone comment that 'there weren't any celebrities on the train this time!'

I imagine the vast, VAST majority of travellers in HEX standard class, let alone first, have their fare covered by the employer and probably aren't that fussed about biscuits, water or even seats on such a short journey, which is how they get away with it.

mike57

Established Member
If you book advance and know when you will be traveling then its not always expensive.

Recent personal experience. (Note I am a tea drinker, so cant comment on other drinks on offer)
Hull Trains: nice food, Yorkshire Gold Tea, proper milk, good service, just a shame about the 180's, lousy ride, but they are going shortly (Hopefully to a scrapyard).
TPE: Food isn't very exciting, Tea is fair, can get very busy, with genuine 1st class ticket holders. Bearing in mind some journeys can be 3 hours (e.g. a current regular journey Seamer - Liverpool) they could do better.
VTEC: Most recent journey was disappointing, tea was barely drinkable and food was disappointing.
Recently been traveling in France, no at seat food service on the trains we were on (Intercities and TGV) but when booked in advance were only a few euro more so worth it for the extra space and a socket.
GC: Last journey was 12 months ago, Service and food were good. Just a shame the 125's are being replaced with 180's, The GC 1st class is the most comfortable way to get from York to London at the moment

On longer TPE journeys I usually try to go 1st as standard gets so busy that even at a table seat work is nearly impossible. 3 hours can get that report written that i've been putting off for a week!

fowler9

Established Member

How many first class airline passengers don't get picked up at the airport anyway and how many none first class airline passengers bother paying first class to get the train from the airport? Genuine question because if you go on airliners.net most premium passengers get picked up or dropped off at their destination by a car paid for with their ticket.

ChilternTurbo

How many first class airline passengers don't get picked up at the airport anyway and how many none first class airline passengers bother paying first class to get the train from the airport? Genuine question because if you go on airliners.net most premium passengers get picked up or dropped off at their destination by a car paid for with their ticket.
It was (maybe still?) offered to me as an option when travelling Virgin Atlantic 'Upper Class' from Heathrow in lieu of the chauffeur service. That was back in 2009 though…

I do think that standard class on Heathrow Express is more than adequate in terms of space and comfort for such a short journey.

Last edited:

Bromley boy

Established Member

Only a tiny minority travel in airline first class.

A lot of people travelling on business, particularly if short haul/economy, will not have pick up from airport included. Some of those who do may still choose to take HEX in preference to sitting on the M4 in a traffic jam.

fowler9

Established Member
Only a tiny minority travel in airline first class.

A lot of people travelling on business, particularly if short haul/economy, will not have pick up from airport included. Some of those who do may still choose to take HEX in preference to sitting on the M4 in a traffic jam.
I was talking about Heathrow Express First Class, not just Heathrow Express.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
I imagine the vast, VAST majority of travellers in HEX standard class, let alone first, have their fare covered by the employer and probably aren't that fussed about biscuits, water or even seats on such a short journey, which is how they get away with it.

I think you are (vastly) overstating matters.

Economist

VTWC First Class: Very good on a Pendolino, not sure about a Voyager because I haven't been on one of the latter in 1st.

EMT: Upgraded onboard a Voyager because Standard combined with a large case just wasn't good (just like any other Voyager). 1st was better though still not a great deal of room for luggage.

Greater Anglia: Mk3 First Class very nice indeed, decent amount of room, recently refurbished I think.

VTWC wins out of the three though I don't think any are worth it unless it's on a cheap advance ticket or with a PRIV. One of the makn benefits I suppose is the normally quieter atmosphere. Once on a VTWC Glasgow-London the entire carriage and I heard a bunch of neds loudly debating whether Fernando Torres was a "prolific" striker. Whilst I was impressed that the word "prolific" was in their vocabulary, I was less impressed by their volume level. Thankfully, they left at Carlisle, leaving behind a fair quantity of empty cans. I don't think you'd get that in 1st.

Bromley boy

Established Member
I was talking about Heathrow Express First Class, not just Heathrow Express.

I guess many travelling on business in Europe may be in economy due to travel policy restrictions (often business is only allowed for flights longer than 4 hours etc.), but still able to expense HEX 1st class? I'm not sure what the premium is.

Even for standard, given the HEX premium over connect/the Piccadilly line (all likely far quicker than a chauffeur driven car!) I can't imagine many are willing to pay out of their own pocket.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I guess many travelling on business in Europe may be in economy due to travel policy restrictions (often business is only allowed for flights longer than 4 hours etc.), but still able to expense HEX 1st class? I'm not sure what the premium is.

Even for standard, given the HEX premium over connect/the Piccadilly line (all likely far quicker than a chauffeur driven car!) I can't imagine many are willing to pay out of their own pocket.

Or some which will quite happily pay the premium to be able to take their time in boarding on a non-stop service, over a probably crowded Piccadilly Line service or a probably crowded Heathrow Connect service which calls at the likes of Ealing.

The future will be standing on the crowded underground platform at Paddington, waiting for the correct Heathrow bound Lizzie Line service to roll in, already crowded due to travelling from further afield, a short dwell time and probably standing for the first few stops before the unit empties out along the way. Cue the adverts from Gatwick Airport saying "why stand for your trip to the airport when you can relax in a seat on the non-stop Gatwick Express service".

Status
Not open for further replies.