• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do you think the modern casual style of uniform has caused problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harlesden

I remember as a young teen traveling around the Underground and London bus networks and thinking that staff looked like something in their 1970's uniforms whether ticket collector on the Underground or bus conductor.
There was widespread respect from passengers.
Today's uniforms barely look like a uniform at all and suddenly we have an anarchic minority with no respect whatsoever for staff.
In the Prison Service, the authoritarian style of uniform as worn by Mr. MacKay in "Porridge" is long gone having been replaced by shirt sleeves and fairly nondescript trousers with officers required to address inmates as Mr. -------.
Nobody is denying that workers should feel comfortable while working, but in these confrontational days, a mere name badge does not seem to be enough, and today's gateline staff on the Underground appear more like members of a club on their club outing than respected public servants protecting the interests of their employer.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Schnellzug

Established Member
I don't know, Revenue Protection Staff seem to like to think they're Authority, with their peaked caps with gold braid.
Anyway, uniforms in Public Transport organisations in the Old Days never seemd to be very respect-inspiring; it seems, from old pictures, that most rail guards and bus drivers looked as if they usually wore the kind of overalls you'd wear for sweeping the floor.

While I appreciate where you are coming from, I think it is more relevant that if certain members of the public won't show any respect to a fully uniformed police officer, the fact that I'm not wearing a tie, won't affect their attitude to me when I'm trying to pour them off the last arrival at Southend, with no trains back to Southminster for a good couple of hours, so it's a £40 taxi for them!

I'm not a copper, I'm rail-staff btw.

district

I don't know, Revenue Protection Staff seem to like to think they're Authority, with their peaked caps with gold braid.
Anyway, uniforms in Public Transport organisations in the Old Days never seemd to be very respect-inspiring; it seems, from old pictures, that most rail guards and bus drivers looked as if they usually wore the kind of overalls you'd wear for sweeping the floor.

They do have authority, just like all rail-staff do in their jurisdiction. I agree the uniform is getting a bit lax, would like to see the caps being re-introduced as well as shirts, ties and blazers for all staff (including drivers). I've seen many LUL drivers wear a LU polo, jeans and trainers. Not tainting all staff with the same brush, as the majority are smart and presentable at all times.

I dont think the uniform has much to do with it. I just think that there has been a general decrease in respect for all authority over recent years.

This seems to stem partly from the compensation culture ("you can't do or say that or else I will sue you for damages"), and also the more selfish attitude of a minority of the public who think it is their right to do exactly what they like, and when they feel like it.

The fact that criminals seem to get better human rights protection than the victims has just exaggerated the idea that people can get away with anything they like.

Status
Not open for further replies.