• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dockside engines

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdlover777

hi, im planing on building a seaport route of trainz simulator, now what diesel engine would have been seen shunting wagons in seaport and docks?

thanks

Daniel~

Edit: The route is set in a late 1990's to early 2000's period but i dont mind if its diesels from the 60's, hope this helps

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
If it's an older version of Trainz which has the paintshed customisation option there's only the US style shunter which can be altered. That loco was my favourite anyway, sorry can't remember the name and my PC's out of order for now.

D60

A common requirement traditionally of dock shunters was a short wheelbase and an ability to negotiate tight curves and restricted spaces, and a class built with this requirement in mind was the YEC-built class 02, which found employment particularly in NW England, I believe...
If the docks were privately operated, then any number of industrial designs might be suitable (Council-owned Preston Dock had a fleet of 3 Sentinels, for example..)

jimm

Established Member
Class 03s were used on docks lines at places including Birkenhead, Kings Lynn and Ipswich. I think the Birkenhead ones lasted until 1989.

Last edited:

rdlover777

A common requirement traditionally of dock shunters was a short wheelbase and an ability to negotiate tight curves and restricted spaces, and a class built with this requirement in mind was the YEC-built class 02, which found employment particularly in NW England, I believe...
If the docks were privately operated, then any number of industrial designs might be suitable (Council-owned Preston Dock had a fleet of 3 Sentinels, for example..)

i was thinking of a Bo-Bo wheel base like a class 17 or a class 20?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
If it's an older version of Trainz which has the paintshed customisation option there's only the US style shunter which can be altered. That loco was my favourite anyway, sorry can't remember the name and my PC's out of order for now.

i have trainz 2006 but i can get BR shunters
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Class 07s were dedicated to Southampton Docks in the 1960s and 1970s.

aren't class 07, salty's bases from thomas?

Established Member
Does anyone remember the British Rail Class 01 shunters at Holyhead and the breakway there?

I remember (just) going all the way there to see them only to find them locked in a shed which had only the tiniest gap to peer through.

I have a picture from 1913 that shows the horsepower for shunting on the quay at Mistley was indeed a horse.

D60

I remember (just) going all the way there to see them only to find them locked in a shed which had only the tiniest gap to peer through.

I have a picture from 1913 that shows the horsepower for shunting on the quay at Mistley was indeed a horse.

I have the same memory of the shed at Holyhead, and the tiny gap! By this time (later 70s), only one was still in use, the other being a source of spares... And I believe they never received BR blue, nor even green, but wore vintage 1950s BR black, complete with their anachronistic-looking TOPS numbers.. (nothing of which was visible within the darkness of the shed!)

ac6000cw

Established Member
For a while in the latter days of the Dover - Dunkerque train ferry (when MS Nord Pas-de-Calais was in use), class 33 Bo-Bo's were used to shunt trains on and off the ferry. Always two of them side-by-side in order to keep the ship balanced so it didn't list to one side. Later on I think they decided that 08's could do the job (the problem was the gradient on the ship-to-shore link span at very high and low tides).

Status
Not open for further replies.