Dockyard station...or Devonport Dockyard station?

Discussion in 'Infrastructure & Stations' started by Paul Sidorczuk, 15 May 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Sidorczuk

Paul Sidorczuk Veteran Member

The very best part of rural Cheshire East.
    Can anyone confirm which of these two station names is known as the officially recognised name of the station at this point of time.

2. MarkyT

MarkyT Established Member

National Rail Enquiries refer to a station by the name of Devonport Dockyard
    http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations_destinations/DOC.aspx

3. 455driver

455driver Veteran Member

I see the location is wrong, it is Pasley Street (no I), not Paisley Street.

Crews announce it as just 'Dockyard' so as to avoid confusion with Devonport station.

Last edited: 15 May 2015
  4. plymothian

plymothian Member

It is just 'Dockyard'.

On Avantix it's printed as 'Dockyard Devon', to distinguish from Woolwich Dockyard, which is probably why NRE calls it Devonport Dockyard.

5. 34104

34104 Member

When I were a nipper, it was always known as Dockyard Halt but the halt bit seems to have disappeared over the years and the station sign is now simply Dockyard. There was a good view of the sadly demised Ford station and viaduct on the SR mainline from the station-had many a wistful gaze at them after a day of slavery [those tea trays could be an awesome burden:D] in the dockyard. There were also two Devonport stations, the GWR one became known as Devonport Albert Road and the SR one Devonport Kings Road after nationalisation but Albert Road became just Devonport after the closure of Kings Road. Good job Albert Road and Ford halts had closed, it may have got really confusing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.