Doctor Who Movie

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dave A, 16 Nov 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave A

Dave A Established Member

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Geezertronic

Geezertronic Established Member

Watched a couple of the first episodes with Matt Smith in but never took to him to be honest. David Tennant and Christopher Eccleston were much better.

4. tony_mac

tony_mac Established Member

I suppose it can't be any worse than the Paul McGann film.

BTW, you know that the z isn't an Americanized spelling? It's always spelt with a z in books.

5. Railguy220

Railguy220 Member

I have to disagree, Christopher Eccleston has probably been the worst Doctor. David Tennant was better but I think Matt Smith is the best out of the three. Christopher Eccleston was to human for me.

6. Heinz57

Heinz57 Member

I'm going to say straight away that I'm not a Doctor Who fan, not one bit.

However, I must say that making it into a film could be a good idea. Providing they don't ruin it, and keep it, well, like Doctor who could be. I think it could work.

7. YorkshireBear

YorkshireBear Established Member

Matt smith is by far the best, he followed on from david tennant (many argue to be the best) and made it his own.

8. Greenback

Greenback Emeritus Moderator

I wouldn't bet on it, even though the McGabb film was horrific! (For all the wrong reasons!). Doctor Who is very easy tog et wrong, and difficult to get right. Even during the recent series there have been quite a few episodes that have just left me cold, despite me being very impressed in general.

I found the most recent series more difficult to watch, though I think that is more to do with the head writer than Matt Smith, who I find very watchable.

9. Wyvern

Wyvern Established Member

How about Johnny Depp

It's a move by the language mavens worldwide, like spelling words with æ or œ, like fetus or feces, with just an e.

Even "recognise" which comes from the French. Personally I hate it - it looks downright ugly, I find it almost painful.

10. Yew

Yew Established Member

Hopefully next series will be river song-less though

11. Tracked

Tracked Member

It possibly could work, depending on what this radical transformation is, the two Peter Cushing films were decent enough for their day & aren't referred to in the current series.

Smith for best new Doctor, followed by Eccleston, then Tennant

12. Dave A

Dave A Established Member

I'm hoping it will be Pond-less as well. She's annoying me now! :|

13. table38

table38 Established Member

(a) The Paul McGann movie was awful.

(b) Not if they dumb it down for the Americ - er - International market. Why on earth did they do that "Previously on Dr Who" thing on the last episode, totally giving away the ending and the "death" of the Doctor by mentioning the Tesselator?

14. Yew

Yew Established Member

Hasnt the doctor 'dumped' pond now? I can see the possibility of her returnign for a few episodes next season (maybe some cool evil amy or something?) But I hope I never see River, or the Silence, again.

15. Temple Meads

Temple Meads Established Member

Couldn't agree more.

Personally I don't think I could ever get bored watching Karen Gillan :p

16. infobleep

infobleep Established Member

If it is anything like the music in the new Dr Who I won't like it. If it's anything like quite a few of the stories in the new Dr Who series I will.

I find the music far to American. I much prefer the more electronic music of the past. It wasn't all EMS synths but it was good. Now it's too Hollywood sounding for me. However whilst at times some of the stories are to fast paced or the end comes to quickly, in my opinion, the are very English and true in some respects to the classic series. Running down corridors, whilst not making fun of that and making it believable.

I also love the great use of the inside of the TARDIS. So much more believable when they keep popping back inside. I believe John Nathan Turner once said he didn't use the inside of the TARDIS so much any more because he felt it wasn't so believable. I find it less believable when thy don't use it in stories.

So if they feature all of that then great. If they feature more electronic music then really great. However I do fear the Americans won't understand story style or feel that their audiences won't understand the story style so they'll make it even more Hollywood. I hope not though.

17. tony_mac

tony_mac Established Member

It's not a modern movement;
    http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=UC8JAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA300&dq=northanger+abbey+volume+1&hl=en&ei=HDXETv_MIYTK8gOT4smDCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CD8Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=recognized&f=false

I like Matt Smith - he has a little of the Tom Baker about him, but I think they overplay the 'he doesn't understand human emotions' bit. And I think that they have tried to be a bit too clever and dark with the last series.

18. Wyvern

Wyvern Established Member

I didn't say it was.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.