• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Doctor Who - What type of train was that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey C

Established Member
At least the carriages used were modern enough to look representative of a current train, it's when you see Mk1s or heritage diesels that it jars most.

For example in the excellent Doctor Who 2014 episode Flatline, a Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway preserved Class 117 was used!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Agent_Squash

Established Member
McDonalds had an advert running using a 377/6 a few months ago - not everything TV related likes to go back to the old days it seems!

HH

Established Member
I think the correct answer is a train that is larger inside than it looks from the outside. Know any of those? ;)

Smethwickian

exactly - the rule book needs to be refreshed to cover alien invasion.
All sorts of rules and policies need to be reviewed. Could TOCs refuse to give delay repay compensation if the cause of the hold-up was extraterrestrial debris on the track? Should ticket acceptance be allowed on alternative routes if the direct line has been swallowed by a spatial anomaly? Would seat reservations be enforced if carriages were occupied by Slitheens without bookings?

IanD

Established Member
All sorts of rules and policies need to be reviewed. Could TOCs refuse to give delay repay compensation if the cause of the hold-up was extraterrestrial debris on the track? Should ticket acceptance be allowed on alternative routes if the direct line has been swallowed by a spatial anomaly? Would seat reservations be enforced if carriages were occupied by Slitheens without bookings?

Delay Repay covers any delay regardless of the cause. Customer Charter compensation on the other hand...

DarloRich

Veteran Member

a minefield. Can Daleks be conveyed in a wheelchair space? Do they have to pre book assistance if they need a ramp to board. Do the creatures inside have to get out of their assistance vehicle and occupy a seat folding up the shell thing to fit in the rack? This really needs looking into

Also is the doctor entitled to an oap railcard?

Last edited:

AM9

Veteran Member
a minefield. Can Daleks be conveyed in a wheelchair space? Do they have to pre book assistance if they need a ramp to board. Do the creatures inside have to get out of their assistance vehicle and occupy a seat folding up the shell thing to fit in the rack? This really needs looking into

Also is the doctor entitled to an oap railcard?
I think that Cybermen must break step when using escalators and footbridges.

Three-Nine

If we're on the subject of accuracy, Daleks haven't needed to use wheelchair ramps, or fear their previous mortal enemy THE ST-A-IRS for a some while now. :smile:

Darandio

Established Member
And dependent on the variety of Dalek, wouldn't there be insufficient headroom for some?

WestRiding

Im sure the Signalman at Grindleford was wondering why he had got entering section from Earles, without the train turning up.......

fgwrich

Established Member
Since it's been mentioned, the vodafone advert coach was 5309 and it was reported as being transported from the Mid Norfolk to the Bluebell (via an Allelys trailer) in mid August. I'm not sure if/when it got returned.

Interesting, thanks. I could tell it was a Mk2A/B but found it odd as the Bluebell doesn't have any of those, or wouldn't consider having any either! That'll explain the bizarre CGI piece at the end then.

It was actually filmed at the preserved line that is probably closest to the Hope Valley, at the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway.

Scrub that, it was actually Barry Island!

It should be as both Casualty and Doctor Who are products from the BBC Studios at Cardiff and so both often see filming in and around the Barry area. Occasionally you do see some new filming locations being used like the GWSR's Greet Tunnel & 117 sneaking in to Doctor Who though.

HowardGWR

Established Member
Hang on, you'll be telling me that Dr Who is just children's fantasy fiction, next.

Deepgreen

Established Member
On a basic level - the exterior night shot showed the train windows as having opening top-lights, while rest of the scenes showed sealed single units. Are people really so unobservant as to be expected to miss this 'detail'?

Jon1514

With you there, Deepgreen, that threw me for a bit - and there was clearly a loco at the front end, which initially (i.e. on my first few re-watches to try and work out what the blazes it was!) I'd taken as maybe a Peak? Having grabbed a couple of frames and tweaked them a bit, I reckon the external moving shots are CGI, which for two seconds of footage on a children's aspirational moralist fantasy show is a shocking cop-out (although in fairness, I think I spent longer working it out that the entire length of the episode, so I can hardly complain about value for money)

Clarence Yard

Established Member
OK. Time for my Doctor Who experience.

Well over 40 years ago, I was travelling to school from Watford Met and as we lurched past Croxley tip, I lazily looked out at the Southbound Met train overtaking us on the fast. There in that train were all the city types, some in bowlers, reading their Telegraphs or Times, either sitting down or standing up in the doorways. One doorway had one city gent quietly standing there in his pinstripe suit reading his paper whilst standing opposite him was....... a full size Dalek.

That woke me up! It woke up everyone else in my train too!

It was some fellow pupils at Merchant Taylor’s who had built it and were bringing it in for exhibiting at Speech Day. They were manhandling it down the stairs when I arrived at Moor Park. It made a fine sight being walked down the long drive to school, with a school scarf on, of course!

It was a very well behaved Dalek on the Met. Presumably exterminating wasn’t permitted by London Transport in those days.

andrewbowden

I noticed that train as well. Quite nice I thought, I don't know why you Northerners are always complaining about cramped poky Pacers and 150s :E

Living as I do on the Hope Valley Line, my first thought on seeing that train was "if only our trains were that good" :)

andrewbowden

At least the train was consistent. There was an episode of Electric Dreams on Channel 4 called "The Commuter". One minute Timothy Spall's on a South West Trains 450. Next minute he's jumping through the doors of a green train - as shown on the trailer!

Actually, from memory I think they did some pretty terrible CGI in the episode to "paint" the train in the correct livery. But they certainly missed it from the trailer.

Deepgreen

Established Member
With you there, Deepgreen, that threw me for a bit - and there was clearly a loco at the front end, which initially (i.e. on my first few re-watches to try and work out what the blazes it was!) I'd taken as maybe a Peak? Having grabbed a couple of frames and tweaked them a bit, I reckon the external moving shots are CGI, which for two seconds of footage on a children's aspirational moralist fantasy show is a shocking cop-out (although in fairness, I think I spent longer working it out that the entire length of the episode, so I can hardly complain about value for money)
I should also have included a (new?) acronym - 'TIC' - Tongue In Cheek! Strangely enough, this was the first time I have ever seen an entire Dr. Who episode, as I was doing other stuff and didn't bother to change channels. I've never seen Star Wars, either!

Bedpan

Established Member
Never watched Electric Dreams, but having just watched the trailer I wouldn't argue with its authenticity...assuming that he's dreaming when he jumps off the green train. When I dream all sorts of things change - if I got onto a train in a dream it could easily change into a bus or coach whilst I was on it, let alone just change shape and colour.

andrewbowden

Never watched Electric Dreams, but having just watched the trailer I wouldn't argue with its authenticity...assuming that he's dreaming when he jumps off the green train. When I dream all sorts of things change - if I got onto a train in a dream it could easily change into a bus or coach whilst I was on it, let alone just change shape and colour.

Not a dream I'm afraid ;)

londonbridge

Established Member
At least the train was consistent. There was an episode of Electric Dreams on Channel 4 called "The Commuter". One minute Timothy Spall's on a South West Trains 450. Next minute he's jumping through the doors of a green train - as shown on the trailer!

Reminds me of watching an episode of The Bill where they were pursuing a suspect, one minute they're drivng down the main road about five minutes from my house, next minute they're going along the road where my Dads office was located, some 12 miles away!

IanD

Established Member
Killing Eve - off she goes to a remote village in Buckinghamshire (actually Turville), next minute they're somewhere near Gravesend and she decides to catch the bus back to her office, next thing she's waiting at the Spring Grove bus stop in Debden but it's not in the correct place and is still being served by the 167. Very poor.

Bedpan

Established Member
Reminds me of watching an episode of The Bill where they were pursuing a suspect, one minute they're drivng down the main road about five minutes from my house, next minute they're going along the road where my Dads office was located, some 12 miles away!
I've got better than that... I was half watching an American drama about 10 years ago and all of a sudden there was a car driving up the drive to Brocket Hall which is about 5 miles from my house and which was deched out as a large Colonial mansion, woman gets out of car and says something like "Sorry I'm so late, traffic was a nightmare and its taken me three hours to drive here from New York".
Not a dream I'm afraid ;)
Shame! Are they (Electric Dreams) still available and are they any good?

infobleep

Veteran Member
Made me chuckle how the TPWS controls turned on the cab lights and unlocked the doors!
That is explained but a deleted scene that either wasn't filmed or shown. This is where the alien rewired the controls so it opened the door and turned on the lights

Although not shown the guard was slow killed but his body was hidden from view. Haha

Would someone care to explain the train difference.

The Doctor Who magazine use to have a section and may still do, called Data Bank. In that they would write up explanations for plot inconsistencies across thr same and / or different stories. It was done with a sense of humor, as I'd like to think this thread is too.

Ambient Sheep

Actually, from memory I think they did some pretty terrible CGI in the episode to "paint" the train in the correct livery. But they certainly missed it from the trailer.

Yes, they definitely did. After the previous thread on here about it I went back and checked it against the trailer. Actually most of the CGI was fine, except that IIRC they missed a door in the distance during one frame.

I assume it was absent from the trailer as the latter was probably cut together earlier in the production process (a lot of CGI tends to get added at the last minute).

It was a really good episode, btw, for anyone that hasn't seen it.

They're on Channel 4's website. It's a series of standalone episodes based on the stories of Philip K Dick. I enjoyed them!

[OT] Clearly an attempt to replace Charlie Brooker's excellent Black Mirror as Netflix stole that from under their noses. Electric Dreams was good, but it's no Black Mirror.

DelW

Established Member
I was fine with all of that - totally believable - aliens with human teeth in their cheeks - sure - but it was when they showed a First Streetlite on the 98 at Sheffield Interchange that meant I could no longer take it seriously - I mean, everyone in the galaxy knows that it runs via High Street (southbound) and Arundel Gate (northbound)... I couldn't suspend my disbelief at such clear errors :lol:
Quite agree - years ago there was a Doctor Who episode (I think - it might have been something else) which featured a London bus being found on some remote planet. All fine except that instead of an RT or RM, they used a Bristol Lodekka or something similar. How could anyone believe in that? :rolleyes:
just to be clear - we are accepting the premise of an inter dimensional, inter galactic, semi immortal, time traveler ( with two hearts) whizzing through time and space at light speed in a semi sentient blue box that is bigger on the inside than it appears from the outside but we are most worried over whether or not, the right carriages were used on a TV show?
Well, it's better than trying to make sense of most Dr Who plots (admission here - I didn't see this one).

Quite agree - years ago there was a Doctor Who episode (I think - it might have been something else) which featured a London bus being found on some remote planet. All fine except that instead of an RT or RM, they used a Bristol Lodekka or something similar. How could anyone believe in that? :rolleyes:

That was indeed a Doctor Who episode, "Planet of the Dead", featuring an excellent guest turn by Michelle Ryan.

Famously, the bus (which Wiki says was a 1980 Bristol VR) was badly damaged en-route to filming in Dubai when a shipping container was smashed into it at port.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_of_the_Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.