• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Doctor Who - What type of train was that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ih8earlies

Hi. I'm curious as to what type of train that was in the new episode of Doctor Who.

It was ostensibly set on the Hope Valley line, but it looked like old Intercity carriages of some sort minus the tables.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

It might have been ex gatwick express stock, possible filmed on the barry tourist railway perhaps?

jon0844

Veteran Member
I didn't see this, but I love how TV shows nearly always use ancient rolling stock. I realise the reasons why this has to happen, but it's still amusing.

Whereas there are many things in TV and film that Joe Public don't notice, I think old trains (or buses etc) are something almost anyone would notice, or certainly feel is a little odd.

Established Member
I didn't see this, but I love how TV shows nearly always use ancient rolling stock. I realise the reasons why this has to happen, but it's still amusing.

Whereas there are many things in TV and film that Joe Public don't notice, I think old trains (or buses etc) are something almost anyone would notice, or certainly feel is a little odd.
Yes there's a Vodafone campaign on TV right now using old intercity stock on what I think is a preserved railway, wouldn't happen to know which though?

driver9000

Established Member
Yes there's a Vodafone campaign on TV right now using old intercity stock on what I think is a preserved railway, wouldn't happen to know which though?

It's a reversed shot of Horsted Keynes on the Bluebell railway with a CG mk2 coach end as the closing shot.

westv

Established Member
It might have been ex gatwick express stock, possible filmed on the barry tourist railway perhaps?
The last time I visited Barry Island there was a Butlins and my brother and I spent an afternoon wandering around the railway scrapyard.

Journeyman

Established Member
Yeah, an ex-Gatwick Express set, featuring the cab of the motor luggage van too.

squizzler

Established Member

Who can forget the dramatic scene in “Bodyguard” where the lead character and the suicide bomber are locked in a stand-off aboard a Euston-bound express - consisting of a class 50 and some mk2 coaches! I gather that those who radicalise suicide bombers say there will be lots of virgins in the afterlife and so she decided to use something the than a Pendolino for her last trip.

sprinterguy

Established Member

chubs

Was thinking of the vodafone ad too. Reminds me of the bad old days on Connex SE with all their clapped out junk.

JohnElliott

Yeah, an ex-Gatwick Express set, featuring the cab of the motor luggage van too.

It does make me wonder what, in-Universe, was supposed to be pushing at the back end, since they were a long way from the nearest juice rail. 73/9 perhaps?

theblackwatch

Established Member
It was actually filmed at the preserved line that is probably closest to the Hope Valley, at the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway.

Scrub that, it was actually Barry Island!

Last edited:

WaveyDavey

Opening scenes possibly meant to be set in the Hope Valley then boarding a train back to Sheffield but the scenes day on the rocks before they got the train looked very much like the area overlooking Stocksbridge and the Woodhead line...... How ironic.

mushroomchow

Does amuse me how often they use old stock and heritage lines. They used Loughborough Central for a QuickQuid advert recently too, which looked very incongruous with a few "modern" notices plastered on the side of the stairs. All that hustle and bustle to board a BR Green 101. :lol:

They could at least try to use a vaguely passable "modern" location like Bury on the ELR if they're going to use a heritage line for filming!

Still waiting for the day some film crew decide to throw caution to the wind and repaint a Black 5 into East Midlands Trains livery for a shoot.

KC1

There had been a few shows I’ve seen with internal old stock but the external shots are of a modern train.

Clarence Yard

Established Member
Since it's been mentioned, the vodafone advert coach was 5309 and it was reported as being transported from the Mid Norfolk to the Bluebell (via an Allelys trailer) in mid August. I'm not sure if/when it got returned.

PeterC

Established Member
I'll have to rewatch on a full sized screen, I was away from home yesterday and watched it on my phone which didn't give enough fine detail.

What usually strikes me about railways in TV shows is the way that the entire system appears to be single track.

Smethwickian

It does make me wonder what, in-Universe, was supposed to be pushing at the back end, since they were a long way from the nearest juice rail. 73/9 perhaps?
OK, so alien invasions - not a problem.
Humanoid with two hearts called a Time Lord regenerates from male to female - not a problem.
Teleportation into space using devices cobbled together in backstreet Sheffield workshop - not a problem.
Train might be shown with the wrong type of locomotive - BIG PROBLEM.
Always such a funny thread when people pick over the detail on such programmes. It's fiction, it has to be filmed somewhere within reasonable budget and accessibility, and, oh, did I mention, IT'S FICTION.

Mikey C

Established Member
I noticed that train as well. Quite nice I thought, I don't know why you Northerners are always complaining about cramped poky Pacers and 150s :E

JohnElliott

Always such a funny thread when people pick over the detail on such programmes. It's fiction, it has to be filmed somewhere within reasonable budget and accessibility, and, oh, did I mention, IT'S FICTION.
On a rail forum people find it amusing to discuss details relating to trains? Say it ain't so!

AM9

Veteran Member
Humanoid with two hearts called a Time Lord regenerates from male to female - not a problem.
Teleportation into space using devices cobbled together in backstreet Sheffield workshop - not a problem.
Isn't that the problem with all film and TV drama. Apart from the laughable cases like non-OLE trains in the Channel Tunnel being chased by helocopters in MI, there are so often cases of techno-garbage that those experienced in the area either laugh at or just get irritated. My experience is with electronics systems engineering and there are plenty of things to smile at. When watching with my other half, her being a solicitor, can be just as amusing during Judge Deeds, etc.. Keeping Faith was a bit better though.

tbtc

Veteran Member
A similar issue is with buses in programmes/ adverts - even when you only see the interior they are almost always bench seated examples (when virtually all buses built in the past twenty years have individual seats). Then again, people complain about Pacers having "bus seats" (when hardly any buses have had seats like that in a long time).

Opening scenes possibly meant to be set in the Hope Valley then boarding a train back to Sheffield but the scenes day on the rocks before they got the train looked very much like the area overlooking Stocksbridge and the Woodhead line...... How ironic.

Ah - Wharncliffe Crags? I was wondering where that bit on the rocks was - couldn't place it (but then we didn't know it was meant to be anywhere near Sheffield at the time).

I was fine with all of that - totally believable - aliens with human teeth in their cheeks - sure - but it was when they showed a First Streetlite on the 98 at Sheffield Interchange that meant I could no longer take it seriously - I mean, everyone in the galaxy knows that it runs via High Street (southbound) and Arundel Gate (northbound)... I couldn't suspend my disbelief at such clear errors :lol:

Taunton

Established Member
There was an article in a magazine a while ago by the manager of one of the Heritage railways (possibly the Bluebell but I don't recall) describing what it was like taking filming contracts. Now once the film period was identified they would be all ready to have everything right, extras in the correct period uniform, appropriate stock, etc, but would regularly get overruled by arrogant film Directors who would just say "I want ... THAT one ..." pointing to a random unit, or even worse, the need to avoid losing face in front of the minions when the period inconsistency was pointed out. It would then be "I will decide the artistic arrangement, thank you".

DarloRich

Veteran Member
just to be clear - we are accepting the premise of an inter dimensional, inter galactic, semi immortal, time traveler ( with two hearts) whizzing through time and space at light speed in a semi sentient blue box that is bigger on the inside than it appears from the outside but we are most worried over whether or not, the right carriages were used on a TV show?

Could we, perhaps, be looking at this from the wrong angle?

Ih8earlies

just to be clear - we are accepting the premise of an inter dimensional, inter galactic, semi immortal, time traveler whizzing through time and space and light speed in a semi sentient blue box that is bigger on the inside than it appears from the outside but we are most worried over whether or not, the right carriages were used on a TV show?

Could we, perhaps, be looking at this form the wrong angle?

You're right. We should also be examining the uniform the driver was wearing, the fact that the carriage had an automated announcement system, Did the alien tentacle thing also attack the Guard who I presume was carrying out protection, Will Conductor/Guards training and the rule book module for out of course events be updated to include Alien Attacks, How did the train stop so quickly when it seemed to be running at a fair clip, when will the RAIB report into this incident be published...

DarloRich

Veteran Member
You're right. We should also be examining the uniform the driver was wearing, the fact that the carriage had an automated announcement system, Did the alien tentacle thing also attack the Guard who I presume was carrying out protection, Will Conductor/Guards training and the rule book module for out of course events be updated to include Alien Attacks, How did the train stop so quickly when it seemed to be running at a fair clip, when will the RAIB report into this incident be published...

exactly - the rule book needs to be refreshed to cover alien invasion.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Made me chuckle how the TPWS controls turned on the cab lights and unlocked the doors!

ComUtoR

Established Member
Made me chuckle how the TPWS controls turned on the cab lights and unlocked the doors!

Just watched that scene. Loved the fake button press. I know Dr Who has traditionally been on the cheap SFX side but they could of at least used a fake set of door buttons.

Status
Not open for further replies.