• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dodgers

Status
Not open for further replies.
After coaxing two young "gentlemen" from one of my toilets today to pay their fare it got me thinking, there must be some good stories of attempted fare evasion witnessed by everyone on here, so please, fire away

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NSEFAN

Established Member
Saw three drugged-up passengers alight from a Scotrail train, having all been in the disabled loo!

tsr

Established Member
Oyster misuse is a favourite of mine at the moment.

"Where have you come from?"
"Brighton"
"Why have you tried to exit using Oyster with no credit or season ticket?"
"I thought it would just know"
"We do now. Time for a paper ticket"
"Stop embarrassing me in front of everyone"
"You have embarrassed yourself quite enough, have you never seen the massive signs about touching in and out?"
"Fetch me your manager"
"They're 10 stations away, and you're not going back to see them, sorry"
"Oh [swears loudly and becomes agitated]"
[Very large, annoyed and generally well-respected colleague arrives]
"Why are you shouting at my colleague?"
"He is trying to charge me"
"Why?"
"I used an Oyster from Brighton"
"Well, he's right then, isn't he?"

"Why have you not touched in?"
"It's a Zip Oyster"
"Try again"
"I'm only going one stop"
"Try again"
"Can I have a ticket please?"
"Yes, certainly..."
At 5am, for goodness' sake...

"Your last touch in was in 2014 on a bus. Where have you come from?"
"Clapham Junction, but I only do this journey occasionally"
"Then I am afraid you will have to buy a ticket occasionally"
"Why, there is credit on there?"
"No, it ran out in March 2014"
"But I topped up this morning"
"Was that before or after the failed touch-in at Richmond?"
"Before"
"Nope, ticket time"

Last edited:

Envy123

When my GN train approached Hornsey on the way to Moorgate, a ticket inspector asked one guy why he didn't validate his Oyster card.

"I forgot" was his excuse.

Established Member
I witnessed a teenage girl board my LM 350 at Lichfield Trent Valley, go straight into the disabled bog, and emerge just as we arrived at Rugeley, where she left the train. Funny that!

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Best one I saw was one "enthusiast" boarding a York - Hull train from Selby in full Arriva uniform and then promptly pretended to sleep. As this was late at night, the guard assumed he had come off the Selby shuttles and left him alone. Just before we got to Brough, the guy woke up again and went to the doors ready to get off - at which point the guard asked to see his ticket or staff pass. I think they guy would have managed to bluff his way out of it quite well if it had not been for "standard" enthusiasts equipment in his carry-on!

Mind you, the guard saw the funny side of things and charged him only the appropriate fare

charley_17/7

On a late night home LM Euston - Milton Keynes (or Northampton), 3 young lads hadn't got tickets from Euston trying to get to Bletchley.

Guard came down somewhere after Watford or Hemel, so she asked where they had got on. They advised the previous station.

Cost them more than if they had been honest as the fare is cheaper from Euston!

syorksdeano

Think the best one I have ever seen was last week.

I got on the train at Barnsley and guard came down doing a ticket check. My ticket gets checked and asks the guy sat opposite me for his ticket, to which he said he didn't have one and offered to buy one.

Guard asked where he had boarded and he said "Barnsley with him" and pointing to me......then pops up this small voice "no we didn't daddy we got on at Wakefield".

Established Member
Shortly after the gateline was introduced at Glasgow Queen Street, 2004 I think, I was on a late evening train to Edinburgh. Three or four youths, I think that's the only way to describe them, sat at a table just down from me. The first sign of trouble, and it must've been very uncomfortable for them, was that some of them put their feet up on the table. I'm sat at a table on TPE now with someone opposite me and I'm not sure that I could manage that, anyway...

We effed and blinded our way through to after Croy and the conductor, a young woman, came along. Of course they had no tickets, I could tell from the start that this was their mission for the trip, but their argument was that they MUST have tickets because of the gates, I liked their style. The conductor didn't get in the slighest bit agitated, asked them calmly a couple more times, and walked away. This threw them completely, all I heard was 'she's gettin' the ****'in polis' and they baled at Falkirk, to do what I've no idea. Try it again on the next train probably.

Another interesting observation, and it's quantity rather than quality from a 30 minute change at Wigan North Western this afternoon. This forum is full of stories about bad experiences with Northern RPIs, and a lot of shocked innocence into the bargain, but I passed through a Virgin revenue block twice to leave and return to the station. In the few seconds that it took me to do this both ways, I saw FIVE different people come round the corner in the subway, get asked for their tickets, sigh, swear or roll their eyes, turn round and go back to the ticket office to do what they should've done in the first place. None of them were in any particular hurry and it was obvious that they were just trying it on full in the knowledge that they'd just get sold the ticket if they were challenged. One of them would've probably come on the disputes section here all upset when they got a penalty at Lime Street or wherever. Maybe it was coincidental, but it was quite a bit more than I expected.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Best one I saw was one "enthusiast" boarding a York - Hull train from Selby in full Arriva uniform...
An Arriva bus uniform? or was this in Arriva Trains Northern days, or Arriva Trains Wales, or some other part of Arriva?

Kite159

Veteran Member
The best I've seen is someone boarding at Woking heading towards Twickenham without buying a ticket (this is early morning so the gates at Woking were wide open). Not open did he fail to buy a ticket he got onto a service which didn't call at Clapham. When the guard came around he tried to blag saying he rushed for the train and use his railcard, but the guard wasn't having any of it.

And an Anytime single from Woking to Twickenham via London didn't come cheap.

----------

Although that doesn't beat a youth I saw on a stopping service between Sheffield & Doncaster, boarded at Sheffield and by the time the guard got up we were between Swinton & Mexborough (heading towards Doncaster), said he boarded at Mexborough.

He didn't board but he soon legged it after the guard said he would be back.

trainmania100

Established Member
I'm the opposite :-P I often buy tickets to do some spotting on the platforms without intending to travel.
Usually I get questioned when using platform tickets so its easier buying a one stop ticket

sciisfun

travelling home after late night xmas shopping with my GF, thought I could get away with it if we made out for the whole journey (only 5 mins on a good day and the service was more than full and standing) almost got away with it until the train got delayed, and after being stopped for the best part of half an hour the guard came back down the train and we were still there like that, on the plus side he only charged us for one ticket :lol:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You must have seen Arriva buses? Most of the services in Southport are Arriva, not to mention many other places. (Or am I missing your point?)

https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/?gclid=CPuCpuyXkcsCFQso0wodbH4Hsw
No point! Just wondering. Arriva buses do operate to Selby, so that'd make sense, and would be likely to be an Arriva member of staff who may also be a rail enthusiast. A significant number of staff in the bus industry appear to be bus enthusiasts and many of those are rail enthusiasts too. But I was wondering if the implication it was someone who was not actually wearing a uniform for a genuine purpose and it was part of their attempt to travel free on buses and/or trains.

trainophile

Established Member
No point! Just wondering. Arriva buses do operate to Selby, so that'd make sense, and would be likely to be an Arriva member of staff who may also be a rail enthusiast. A significant number of staff in the bus industry appear to be bus enthusiasts and many of those are rail enthusiasts too. But I was wondering if the implication it was someone who was not actually wearing a uniform for a genuine purpose and it was part of their attempt to travel free on buses and/or trains.

Aha, I get it now. I would say "good point", but you just said there wasn't a point :lol: . Think I'd better drop this now before I confuse myself :lol: .

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Only yesterday, scrote locked in the toilet before northallerton, had a ticket durham-darlington. Forgot to get off was his excuse, so he was advised to get off at Northallerton. Train stopped, didnt get off. Saw him again, asked him where he was going, said darlington. Couldnt answer why he didnt get off and wasnt being very co-operative.

So gets to York, still didnt get off. What a pity there was a BTP officer on the platform, "wanna check this fella out?" And handed him over.

Turned out he wanted to go to Wakefield. Perhaps if he had been honest I could have given him a zero fare. Instead he's been filed for prosecution.....

My favourite, a late night newcastle service leaving Man Picc, front coach, afroman sat playing with his mobile. Asked to see his ticket. Looked at me, laughed and continued to play with his phone.

Asked him again for his ticket, looks at me, says he lost it, carries on playing with his phone.

So quote him the fare. £3.60. Looks at me again, laughs again and continues playing with his phone.

BTP officer in plain clothes sitting a few seats away gets up, approaches the guy, pulls out his badge, tells the guy "you need to pay him" guy looks at him, looks at his badge, looks at me, laughs.... And continues playing with his phone!

Train announces "we will shortly arrive at Stalybridge" guy gets up still playing with his phone and heads for the door. BTP approaches guy who is about 2 foot taller than the officer is and says "seen enough mate, you are under arrest" I pop doors open and he frog marches the guy onto the platform and detains him inside the station managers office. I despatch the train for home.

Next night station super collars me at Stalybridge, Im working the same train. She tells me the guy was uncooperative for over an hour but there was no way BTP guy was gonna let it lie. Eventually he found his true identity, and......

He was wanted on warrant by Metropolitan Police for assault and credit card fraud charges amongst other things! If only he had paid his £3.60 fare....

Last edited:

trainophile

Established Member
My favourite, a late night newcastle service leaving Man Picc, front coach, afroman sat playing with his mobile. Asked to see his ticket. Looked at me, laughed and continued to play with his phone.

Asked him again for his ticket, looks at me, says he lost it, carries on playing with his phone.

So quote him the fare. £3.60. Looks at me again, laughs again and continues playing with his phone.

BTP officer in plain clothes sitting a few seats away gets up, approaches the guy, pulls out his badge, tells the guy "you need to pay him" guy looks at him, looks at his badge, looks at me, laughs.... And continues playing with his phone!

Train announces "we will shortly arrive at Stalybridge" guy gets up still playing with his phone and heads for the door. BTP approaches guy who is about 2 foot than he is and says "seen enough mate, you are under arrest" I pop doors open and he frog marches the guy onto the platform and detains him inside the station managers office. I despatch the train for home.

Next night station super collars me at Stalybridge, Im working the same train. She tells me the guy was uncooperative for over an hour but there was no way BTP guy was gonna let it lie. Eventually he found his true identity, and......

He was wanted on warrant by Metropolitan Police for assault and credit card fraud charges amongst other things! If only he had paid his £3.60 fare....

That's an excellent result. However you missed out a crucial word, and now I'm curious as to whether the guy was 2 foot taller or shorter than the BTP chap? Just so I can visualise the events!

Only yesterday, scrote locked in the toilet before northallerton, had a ticket durham-darlington. Forgot to get off was his excuse, so he was advised to get off at Northallerton. Train stopped, didnt get off. Saw him again, asked him where he was going, said darlington. Couldnt answer why he didnt get off and wasnt being very co-operative.

So gets to York, still didnt get off. What a pity there was a BTP officer on the platform, "wanna check this fella out?" And handed him over.

Turned out he wanted to go to Wakefield. Perhaps if he had been honest I could have given him a zero fare. Instead he's been filed for prosecution.....

Train announces "we will shortly arrive at Stalybridge" guy gets up still playing with his phone and heads for the door. BTP approaches guy who is about 2 foot than the officer is and says "seen enough mate, you are under arrest" I pop doors open and he frog marches the guy onto the platform and detains him inside the station managers office. I despatch the train for home.

Ha! My two from the toilet paid with a suspiciously large bundle of notes for such young lads so the BTP were informed, potentially ruining their little operation <(<D

cf111

Established Member

Train announces "we will shortly arrive at Stalybridge" guy gets up still playing with his phone and heads for the door. BTP approaches guy who is about 2 foot than the officer is and says "seen enough mate, you are under arrest" I pop doors open and he frog marches the guy onto the platform and detains him inside the station managers office. I despatch the train for home.

Now that's what I call a result!

Years ago on the last service from Bathgate to Edinburgh the guard locked the door next to the disabled toilet on a 158 out of use when approaching Uphall. When we arrived at the station he was at the doors at the bike rack in the next coach, just as he had closed the train doors and was about to close his local door a scrote that had been hiding in said toilet and been trying to get out at the now locked door came running through shouting at the guard to wait.

The guard, with his finger on the button, asked the scrote if he had a ticket. The scrote said no and the guard shut the door and said "that'll be a taxi for Edinburgh Park then" and walked off down the train howling in laughter!

Status
Not open for further replies.