• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dodgy Stations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJP

Where in the UK would you say is the least safe station? IMO I would say Hatfield & Stainforth. Everytime I have been or past it on the train there as been chavs on the tracks, stones thrown at the train and gangs hanging on the station :roll: . Also it a wierd entrance it's like an alley way to get to it. There are usually 1 or 2 cars parked there (they are brave) which is nowt compared to Kirk Sandall which is often full. What do you think :?:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Being up in Glasgow, there is a few up this end which can be classed as being in the "Dogey" area.

Drumchapel
Drumry
Dalreoch
Whifflet
Hyndland
Yoker
Scotstounhill
Maryhill
Possilpark and Parkhouse

These are just a few! I think no matter where you go, chances are there is going to be stations were these "Idiots" go

Dave A

My local, New Southgate isn't that great. One entrance/exit leads to a long alley way which then leads to road, which isn't busy at night. The other leads straight to a main road but again, not very busy at night.

Also, there are quite a few steps leading to each platform, which aren't secure or well lit (the platforms and stairs!). And of course, what seems to be a very big problem with the rail services today, the lack of ticket staff! :? :roll: :( But, I wouldn't call it a trouble "hotspot" :)

Sprinter

Being in an inner city area, many stations on the NLL Mainline are dodgy, e.g Homerton and Dalston Kingsland, although dalston has ticket barriers when the staff go, this is when the trouble starts.

Also Maryland on the GE, used by many a fare dodger who wants to avoid the barriers at Stratford. they get off at Maryland instead!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
What's the name of that station on the "Stabbers" Line between Romford and Upminster? There has to be it, surely?

Sprinter

The only intermediate station between Romford and Upminster is Emerson Park, which is just up the road from the Hornchurch and Elm Park areas, which are notourious for vandalism attacks, especially on the District line at Elm Park and Hornchurch.

Even the bus routes around Elm Park are diverted away from the area at night because chavs climb onto the roof of the bus shelters then jump onto the rooves of single deckers and "surf" on the bus, or they run up to the back of the bus and open the bonnet making the bus immobilised making it a sitting target!!

Not a good area after dark at all!

ChrisM

In my area Pokesdown station is bad after daylight hours and not alot better during the day.
Also Hamworthy is really bad at night and school holidays.

AJP

Wester Hailes (nr Edinburgh) always seems to have a a bunch of chavs on it. Saying that it is right in the middle of a rough council estate.

what about some of the stations in the south wales valleys whenever ive been comeing back from rhymney after doing the 37s ive often seen gangs of natives! hanging around for no reason one of them even"egged"a 142 last time i was there :( but im sure i also saw a pair of police persons on one of the stations as well so i guess there days are numbered

Brighouse is rubbish, its a two platform station with two shelters and two TV screens.

The entrance is in some sort of industrial estate.

jonb

Established Member
I travel on the Upminster line a fair bit first time I've heard it called the 'Stabbers Line' Anyway Emerson Park is in a very prominent location for vandalism, the stations signs have even been removed because they were daubed in graffiti. But when you travel on the line kids are always playing on the trackside as there is easy access to the line via foot crossings.

I would personally avoid Romford especially on a Friday or Saturday night mainly because of the clubs in the vicinitee of the Station.

T

Tom

ChrisM said:
In my area Pokesdown station is bad after daylight hours and not alot better during the day.
I second this, Pokesdown is NOT a nice place to be, at all, ever.

South West Trains purposely stop less trains at Pokesdown after daylight hours when new timetables come in place, this is to prevent vandalism on the trains, the station, well, they just keep it open, plus, it is unstaffed at this point in the day. :(

ChrisA

ChrisM said:

Hamworthy is well, Hamworthy! That's bad like all the time. Upwey is used (as described by a local) a "hang out". I find all unsupervised stations are liable for graffiti and vandalism.

Julian G

Established Member
let see (Stations without ticket gates)
Isleworth
Brentford
Kensington Olympia
Wandsworth Common :?

Jim

Established Member
ChrisM said:

I thought Hamworthy was allright, when I went. A fare dodger got on & got caught :lol: Pokesdown looks horrid, like it is about to fall down IMO

ChrisA said:
Upwey is used (as described by a local) a "hang out".
I have never had a problem there

117305 said:
what about some of the stations in the south wales valleys whenever ive been comeing back from rhymney after doing the 37s ive often seen gangs of natives! hanging around for no reason one of them even"egged"a 142 last time i was there but im sure i also saw a pair of police persons on one of the stations as well so i guess there days are numbered".
I think most the Valley's stations are bad, but I agree, they do have a fair few cops up there.

My worst station's would be some of the London end WAGN stations
I am not a great fan of them on the Severn beach line either

Jim

joy54.gen

Streatham Hill & Streatham, many friends from school been robbed at both these stations.

Also on the Valleys, I was watching Rail Cops and remember an episode where a couple of BTP were at Ystrad Mynach, they took some booze of some young chavs and as the BTP were pouring it onto the tracks, one of the chavs pushed the BTP officer down onto the tracks. After a chase the person that pushed the BTP officer got caught though.

Julian G

Established Member
Jim said:
Seth said:
Jim said:
My worst station's would be some of the London end WAGN stations

Now why doesn't that surprise me? Any one in particular? ;) :mrgreen:

Might just be Hornsey :lol:
i tihnk Horsey did have ticket gates didn't they?

Oakleigh Park was example unstaffed,no ticket gates, no proper bus links!
, limited amount of trains
Altough it did have a PTT and ticket machine :shock:

tramboy

Bulwell station is true not the nicest area to be in at night (Bulwell itself is similar) but the amount of graffiti and vandalism has been cut down in that area thanks to the extra CCTV the station gained when NET started running. Plus RHL trains only call there alternately anyway.

Hucknall station isn't the safest place to be (basically a car park and the overbridge) as the local skateboardists/BMX-ers hang about under the bridge doing "tricks" and the like.

Radcliffe/Bingham stations (on the Nottingham-Grantham) line are also hotspots...Bingham is next to a playing fields, and has two vandalised shelters, plus whilst I was waiting for a train there two youths crossed the line by jumping down, crossing the tracks and then jumping back up...ignoring the overbridge. Radcliffe is in a cutting, away from teh road, and is fortunately a request stop...no wonder it's underused. Actually saying that, most stations on the Nottingham-Grantham line are quite bad, underlit, unsafe and therefore underused. I wonder what happened to the proposal to extend the Robin Hood Line out to Bingham...a great idea IMO.

Cheers

Dave

Jim

Established Member
joy54.gen said:
Also on the Valleys, I was watching Rail Cops and remember an episode where a couple of BTP were at Ystrad Mynach, they took some booze of some young chavs and as the BTP were pouring it onto the tracks, one of the chavs pushed the BTP officer down onto the tracks. After a chase the person that pushed the BTP officer got caught though.

Don't remember that 1

ChrisM

Jim said:
joy54.gen said:

Don't remember that 1

I do,and the cop got off the track and chased him until he caught him. :lol:
Even the lads mate cycled up to laugh at his mate getting caught.

jd

DescendingSadly said:
Brighouse is rubbish, its a two platform station with two shelters and two TV screens.

The entrance is in some sort of industrial estate.

At least it HAS screens. Wakefield Kirkgate hasn't, and neither have many local stations in the Midlands.

metrocammel

One of the worst I know of around Manchester is Hattersley. It is in the middle of the "countryside", but is now (since the 1970's) a Manchester overspill estate, where all the chav's live. There is nearly always some sort of dealing going on underneath the bridge, and there are always chavs on or near the station. The estate is so bad the Stagecoach (201) bus service to Manchester was suspended as the drivers were frightend to go there.

Also, a "funny" story from near Llandudno Jcn. Around 10 years ago a freind of a freind who was a guard up there was working on a metcam shuttle between Junction & Llandudno. Anyway, there were a bunch of tw*ts (I dnt think they were called chavs back then) were lobbing stones continously throughout the day from the same spot near the roadbridge. The guard was gettin more & more pissed off, so while at the Jcn (there was quite a big turnaround) , he decided to go into the newsagents, get a rocket (firework), then got a length of drainpipe from a hardware shop. When the train got close to the tw*ts, he lit the rocket, it went off and really shocked the bastrds, they gave up their stone throwing for that day!, OK perhaps a bit drastic, but at least it stops them endangering all the passengers lives with lumps of brick.

Dennis

Established Member
It's not the stations which are dodgy but the people that hang about on them. There are plenty of underused, poorly lit stations with no CCTV or train info etc where you would feel perfectly safe simply because there are no menacing yobs / yobettes around.

Heres an idea....petition your local council to open a station in the town centre park instead of a skatepark or 'yoof' centre. No need to bother with tracks or trains, just a couple of bus shelters and an old telly screen on a pole. Would need some ballast though to chuck at the shelters and a nice wall to redecorate. Could also dump some old cars nearby for added fun.

Lesjordans

GreaterGlasgowBve said:
Being up in Glasgow, there is a few up this end which can be classed as being in the "Dogey" area.

Drumchapel
Drumry
Dalreoch
Whifflet
Hyndland
Yoker
Scotstounhill
Maryhill
Possilpark and Parkhouse

These are just a few! I think no matter where you go, chances are there is going to be stations were these "Idiots" go

Ha! try any station on the whifflet or Dumbarton Central (no offence lol)

Jim

Established Member
Dennis said:
It's not the stations which are dodgy but the people that hang about on them. There are plenty of underused, poorly lit stations with no CCTV or train info etc where you would feel perfectly safe simply because there are no menacing yobs / yobettes around.

That would be the Watford DC lines then for poor lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.