• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Does a ticket to METROLINK CITY allow a break of Metrolink journey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mm333

I'm travelling from outside Greater Manchester into Manchester Victoria then on to Deansgate-Castlefield, so that would be a ticket to METROLINK CITY. But I want to break my journey at a tram stop on the way.

A ticket from inside Greater Manchester to Deansgate-Castlefield would be to MANCHESTER CTLZ and that allows for unlimited journeys inside the city zone. Is that freedom allowed for METROLINK CITY tickets?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I can't answer your question (I honestly don't think anyone has considered that it might need answering), but I can say that the chances of you stumbling across two ticket inspections in the City Zone, that care about more than if you are holding a ticket, are pretty low.

Agent_c

I can't answer your question (I honestly don't think anyone has considered that it might need answering), but I can say that the chances of you stumbling across two ticket inspections in the City Zone, that care about more than if you are holding a ticket, are pretty low.

Relying on a lack of enforcement is very poor advice, and is a recepe for trouble

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Normal Metrolink single tickets (and outward portions of returns) are valid for 120 minutes from issue, with unlimited breaks of journey permitted within this time.

However, I don't think it's defined what is permissible on a Metrolink City ticket ("issue" in this case being "commencement of use of ticket").

Perhaps drop Metrolink a Twitter or something to ask (although their heads might explode as I doubt it's something that's often asked...)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'd agree with hairyhandedfool. No idea if officially OK or not, but near no way of enforcing it unless the same inspector saw you twice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Established Member
Break of journey allowed as nothing preventing our passengers changing at Market St. Rules for through rail tickets on Metrolink are similar to normal ATOC rules with, in my opinion a little more flexibility. Certain it won't be an issue. Biggest concern for staff in city zone are those on (invalid) Manchester Stations tickets.

Last edited:

Agent_c

Who advised that then? Because I didn't, infact I categorically said I couldn't answer the question..

Yes, and I wasn't refering to that part. Its the second half of your reply that is the problem, where you suggest he wont have a problem due to lack of enforcement.

If you don't know the answer, don't reply.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Yes, and I wasn't refering to that part. Its the second half of your reply that is the problem, where you suggest he wont have a problem due to lack of enforcement....

Suggesting someone "won't have a problem" is a long way from advising that they can rely on non-enforcement.

scrapy

Established Member
Given that your ticket is subject to national rail and metrolink conditions of carriage and neither of them prohibit break of journey then I'd have said it is fine.

CheesyChips

Yes, and I wasn't refering to that part. Its the second half of your reply that is the problem, where you suggest he wont have a problem due to lack of enforcement.

If you don't know the answer, don't reply.

The rulebook cannot cater for every single exact situation and so suggesting that one won't have a problem simply means that based on common sense and the likely interpretation of the situation by enforecement staff, you won't face problems.

It isn't relying on non-enforcement, it's putting yourself in the shoes of enforcement staff and thinking about the scenario the way they would.

pemma

Veteran Member
Normal Metrolink single tickets (and outward portions of returns) are valid for 120 minutes from issue, with unlimited breaks of journey permitted within this time.

However, I don't think it's defined what is permissible on a Metrolink City ticket ("issue" in this case being "commencement of use of ticket").

Perhaps drop Metrolink a Twitter or something to ask (although their heads might explode as I doubt it's something that's often asked...)

I would hope they don't say this for NR+Metrolink tickets for two reasons:
1. It may not be possible to complete your journey in 120 minutes, especially if a train is cancelled on a line with an hourly service.
2. You can buy tickets in advance meaning if it's 120 minutes from purchase, the expiry date/time could be earlier than the valid from date/time.

TfGM don't make reference to CTLZ tickets being valid on one journey in each direction only, the wording seems to imply it's treated as a day pass for city centre trams.

TfGM said:
You can travel free on Metrolink trams in the city zone if you have bought a rail ticket for travel from any Greater Manchester station to Piccadilly, Victoria, Deansgate or Oxford Road. Metrolink off-peak times apply when you travel by tram, so if you use an Off-peak train ticket there is no restriction on using trams in the city centre during the afternoon peak time that applies to trains.

http://www.tfgm.com/Corporate/Pages/Freedom-of-the-city.aspx

I think that might be out-of-date now that New Islington is included in the city zone.

Last edited by a moderator:

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I would hope they don't say this for NR+Metrolink tickets for two reasons:
1. It may not be possible to complete your journey in 120 minutes, especially if a train is cancelled on a line with an hourly service.
2. You can buy tickets in advance meaning if it's 120 minutes from purchase, the expiry date/time could be earlier than the valid from date/time....

The 120 minutes applies to Metrolink issued tickets, the Conditions of Carriage for Metrolink are quite vague on NR issued tickets (National Rail Conditions of Carriage doesn't apply to Metrolink journeys).

mm333

I've had a reply from Metrolink now. They say

"Thank you for your email. A ticket to travel within the Manchester City centre is for unlimited journeys within the City zone. Whether it is purchased from in or out of Greater Manchester.

"As long as the ticket states this you will have no problems."

You could then ponder why does there need to be METROLINK CITY and MANCHESTER CTLZ destinations. But I'd guess there's a TfGM accounting reason that would make it important to know how many CTLZ tickets are sold.

David Goddard

Established Member
I've had a reply from Metrolink now. They say

"Thank you for your email. A ticket to travel within the Manchester City centre is for unlimited journeys within the City zone. Whether it is purchased from in or out of Greater Manchester.

"As long as the ticket states this you will have no problems."

You could then ponder why does there need to be METROLINK CITY and MANCHESTER CTLZ destinations. But I'd guess there's a TfGM accounting reason that would make it important to know how many CTLZ tickets are sold.

Thanks for that. Have just entered a journey from a couple of places to "Manchester Central Zone" - MCZ - and it brings up valid fares, for an extra £1.20 on a Single and £1.70 on a return fare to Piccadilly.

It would probably be useful if there could be a second option- maybe "Manchester Metrolink" allowing travel on the whole of Metrolink, as well.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
It would probably be useful if there could be a second option- maybe "Manchester Metrolink" allowing travel on the whole of Metrolink, as well.

There is for most journeys as a single or a return. For example you can buy a ticket from Carlisle to Withington Metrolink. The problem comes if you wish to use a railcard...

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
...You could then ponder why does there need to be METROLINK CITY and MANCHESTER CTLZ destinations. But I'd guess there's a TfGM accounting reason that would make it important to know how many CTLZ tickets are sold.

I'd imagine it is something to do with Manchetser CTLZ being "free", whilst Metrolink City is an add-on fare. Manchester CTLZ (MCZ) started out in life as Metrolink Zone D (G234).

Status
Not open for further replies.