• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Does any retailer offer a full refund on Advance ticket due to change of mind?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I've had the time changed for free after phoning up and saying I'd clicked the wrong train by mistake. Refund very unlikely

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I am not aware of any retailer that does this. Some small, independent ticket offices may do it as a matter of courtesy (as might some of the more customer service oriented retailers on a one-off basis), but the general non-refundability of Advances is a key term of the contract, and one that is only waived in cases of service disruption.

There are several retailers who will let you change the train(s) you are booked on for an Advance without charging the normal £10 fee; however none would offer a change-of-mind refund.

gray1404

Established Member
If the price of the advance goes up in the fare round I assume XC would allow payment of difference in fare to change? If by any chance advance fare was discontinued I assume they would have to offer a refund? Thoughts?

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
If the price of the advance goes up in the fare round I assume XC would allow payment of difference in fare to change? If by any chance advance fare was discontinued I assume they would have to offer a refund? Thoughts?
You can change an Advance to any other kind of ticket available at the time of the change, at the price it's currently on general sale for.

RJ

Established Member

I do at my window on a discretionary basis if the ticket was bought from the same office. But I think it's a lot to expect to get a refund on a ticket that's clearly advertised as non refundable due to change of mind.

gray1404

Established Member
I think there will be a problem changing these Advances on the XC site: -

Booked the journey on Cross Country before the price rises were implemented. 2 singles as I am making a round trip. However, XC have given two separate booking references for ToD collection and if I log onto the site, it shoes them as separate journeys with the option to click to amend by each ticket. This would make it impossible for me to change it to a walk up Off Peak return fare if I wanted and, quite honestly, if I have to change the dates of travel this is what I would want to do (two other tier Advances could be more expensive could could 2 off peak singles). The system only appears to work if I wanted to stick to other Advance singles or walk up singles.

However it would seem the site will not allow me to do this. I thought it would do when I booked. Hopefully I can stick to my original travel dates otherwise I am going to have a dispute on my hands to take up with XC.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.