• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Does anyone have nuts or bolts to fix this train?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Coxster

Established Member
The Telegraph make it sound as though just a 'normal' passenger went onto the front to try and fix the wiper blades :roll:

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm sure this has happened before, wasn't it on a MML train?

Ben

It Sounds a bit like tho episode of Thomas the Tank where a Passenger was asked for his Shoelace to act as a Coupler! :D :P.

Established Member
The Telegraph make it sound as though just a 'normal' passenger went onto the front to try and fix the wiper blades :roll:

Erm, thats what happened. About four punters had a go, produced a few bits of cable and a swiss army knife between em. Pendolino quality!

And, yes, the rain had stopped falling...

Dennis

Established Member
It Sounds a bit like tho episode of Thomas the Tank where a Passenger was asked for his Shoelace to act as a Coupler! :D :P.

Thought that was to tie some paper around the brake pipe (Jeremiah Jobling being being the uncooperative passengers name IIRC).

Established Member

Phot of 57304 atop failed Pendo at Rug. being such a useful 'thunderbird' it couldnt manage to drag the Pendo...what a joke...

Around an hour later said 57 was removed, banished to Longsite and the Pendo sent to Wembley.

Shambles...

Craig

Established Member
And, yes, the rain had stopped falling...
AFAIK wipers are a piece of safety equipment (like AWS etc.) so if they weren't working then the driver was quite right to fail the train. At least the effort was made to try and fix the problem, which doesn't happen a lot these days.

gingerheid

Established Member
The thing that surprises me is that they don't carry a bit more gear on trains. I take it I'm right in thinking that Virgin will have taken a seriously major financial hit for causing the disruption... one probably alone enough to pay for a toolkit on each train?

Established Member
AFAIK wipers are a piece of safety equipment (like AWS etc.) so if they weren't working then the driver was quite right to fail the train. At least the effort was made to try and fix the problem, which doesn't happen a lot these days.

Do you not think it would have been better to proceed at reduced speed (as per protocol for these failures) to Nuneaton where the repair job wouldn't have blocked the down west coast for an hour?

Coxster

Established Member
Erm, thats what happened. About four punters had a go, produced a few bits of cable and a swiss army knife between em.
I heard there was 1 person who went onto the front to fix the wiper blades and they were an ex Network Rail engineer, not just a normal commuting passenger. I really doubt they let a normal passenger onto the front of a train!

Sprog

Established Member
I saw. It was a shambles.

The real farce was that the ronnie couldnt move the Pendo...

There was a fitter waiting for the train apparently, but the on-board crew, instead of just offically 'failing' the train [due to a 'technical fault'] and bailing all the punters off, inconvieiniancing them further and causing knonk-on problems, tried to use abit of initiative to keep the train running.

Unfortunatly, in this case, it backfired and as usual, the media had a field day:mad:

Im sure it makes them wonder why they even bothered to think........

Sprog

Established Member
Also, do you REALLy think this is the first time this has ever happened :?

I know of at least two incidetns in the past:

1) 56115 on the 'Twilight Grids' railtour back in '04. (which i was lucky enough to be on):

We made our stop at Barnt Green after a long slog up Lickey, but our Departure time came and went. By this time, rumours where flooding through the train that 115 was a failiure and we where going to be capped (or rescued by a shed :shock: :| :lol:) There was some confusion as to what the problem was though.

At this point, i took a stroll to the front of the train and spoke to one of the EWS crew, who said 115 had a small diesel leak on one of the 'cocks' on the main fuel tank. He went into his bag and brought out a cloth, jumped down between the platform and the loco and wrapped the cloth tightly around the cock, knotting it.

And away we went again!!!!!, about 5 down, all the way to York! ;)

2) A HST at Bath Spa on PADD- WSM service. After hitting a piece of debris, it had a leak on one of the gearbox casings, so was pi$$ing gearbox oil everywhere. It was in rush hour and it wouldve caused complete chaos if he failed the train at Bath. So he legged it to the Buffet car and 'aquired' a cork from a wine bottle. Jumped under the P/C and shoved the cork in the whole (cracked sight-glass lens i think).

Away the train goes to Bristol TM, about 10 down. Train is terminated short at BTM, and set is taken to SPM for repairs. Passengers get there with minimal delay, and the Weston-ers are put on a waiting Wessex service.

I rest my case.....

Death

Established Member
Morning again! <D
ROFL at the idea of passengers having to "fix" a train! I once mucked in to help on a rollercoaster when the rides control system halted and went into fail-safe mode, but at the same time I know computers and logical systems quite well anyway so re-booting the main PLC (Programmable Logic Controller) on a rollercoaster is pretty much childs play to me! 8)

Anyway...I reckon that this is what Virgin could have done with a week ago...I just bashed it up in The GIMP for Linux, so if nothing else it proves that I have too much time on my hands! :eek:

Farewell... :lol:<D
>> Death <<

Status
Not open for further replies.