• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Does anyone recollect the use of folding aluminium freight boxes about 3 feet X two feet X two feet possibly something to do with "coleco"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alvisdriver

Back in the sixties I acquired a folding aluminium box that was about three feet long and two feet square on the ends. I used it for years to store tools etc. I have a feeling that it was something to do with "coleco" and I wonder if anyone has any recollections of this? I may have remembered the name incorrectly !!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Foxcote

I recall Collico boxes being in regular use as parcels by passenger train when I worked at a station dealing with a wide variety of parcels, livestock,etc. circa late 1950’s. Collico rented the boxes out to firms who used them to send items of value or which were vulnerable to damage or theft. Delivery to destination by road motor was paid for and when the flat empty box was returned to the station no charges were raised. I believe that insurance was also included in the senders charges. It was a good idea, as damage and theft of parcels was common, but it was a premium service which many senders thought too expensive for regular use.

Alvisdriver

I recall Collico boxes being in regular use as parcels by passenger train when I worked at a station dealing with a wide variety of parcels, livestock,etc. circa late 1950’s. Collico rented the boxes out to firms who used them to send items of value or which were vulnerable to damage or theft. Delivery to destination by road motor was paid for and when the flat empty box was returned to the station no charges were raised. I believe that insurance was also included in the senders charges. It was a good idea, as damage and theft of parcels was common, but it was a premium service which many senders thought too expensive for regular use.
Brilliant, thanks for the reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.