• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Does compensation if apply if the advertised 1st class catering isn't available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birkonian

I'm on 15:05 from Euston to Liverpool LL which left on time. I'm on a 1st class ticket but there is no catering/shop at all because the crew are displaced. Can I claim compensation?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mathew S

Established Member
I'm on 15:05 from Euston to Liverpool LL which left on time. I'm on a 1st class ticket but there is no catering/shop at all because the crew are displaced. Can I claim compensation?
There is (unless I'm very much mistaken) no obligation to compensate you, as your 1st class ticket only entitles you to sit in 1st class, anything else is an extra. That said, if you contact Virgin Customer Services and ask nicely, you never know.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

People out all night and day working to get the line open. First question: Can I claim cash back because i didn't get my free butties? Sigh.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Yes, but on the other hand, why should a passenger who has been denied their service by a failure of the railway care about how the service is restored? Society today has forced itself into the compensation regime, and the railway is one of the worst offenders in that regard.

Darandio

Established Member
Yes, but on the other hand, why should a passenger who has been denied their service by a failure of the railway care about how the service is restored? Society today has forced itself into the compensation regime, and the railway is one of the worst offenders in that regard.

That particular service arrived at Liverpool only 6 minutes late, given all that has gone on i'd say they have received a pretty good service.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I believe so. See Now that consumer law applies, what happens if complimentary catering is unavailable?

People out all night and day working to get the line open. First question: Can I claim cash back because i didn't get my free butties? Sigh.
I can guarantee Virgin Trains will be receiving compensation from Network Rail. Do you have a problem with that?

Are you suggesting that Virgin should not pass on any of the compensation they receive from Network Rail onto customers in compliance with consumer law and their contractual obligations?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I can guarantee Virgin Trains will be receiving compensation from Network Rail. Do you have a problem with that?

Not at all. Although it remains to be seen what caused the problems on Friday evening. Virgin may owe others TOC's/FOC's compensation.

Are you suggesting that Virgin should not pass on any of the compensation they receive from Network Rail onto customers in compliance with consumer law and their contractual obligations?

Not at all. But you knew that.........................................

My main issue that there is more to worry about in this situation than a free butty (that isnt really that nice) some pretzels, a cup of tea and a biscuit. However, many here lack any sort of perspective.

BTW Virgin wont pass on all of the compensation they receive ( but you also knew that)

EDIT - AND the answer to the original question is rather obviously: Yes! While the butties and brews might be great they are part of the service offering. If they are withdrawn then the T&C's of your ticket have not been complied with. You may seek recompense for this breach. How much you get is a different question

Now I wonder if the same rules apply to us mere plebs in second class who have to pay for our manky butty and brew.....................

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
many here lack any sort of perspective.
If you're so unhappy about it (and you must be as you comment every single time this kind of thing is mentioned), why not just let other people get on with being concerned about what they're concerned about, and you can go on with being concerned about what you're concerned about? You might prefer it.

Now I wonder if the same rules apply to us mere plebs in second class who have to pay for our manky butty and brew...
If catering in standard was advertised and not available on your train, and you wanted to make use of it, then you could certainly complain in the same way. Virgin Trains have been known to offer compensation for this (not to me, someone I know complained about it and were given vouchers). It's much more difficult to say that there's some kind of entitlement, but there's no question that people pay a lot of money for tickets in standard class and have an expectation attached to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.