• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Does condition 19 apply to this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wintonian

Established Member
A scenario that might come up tomorrow - yes I know its a bit late but I can work around it this time.

Ticket held (I won't be using this actual ticket but it works as an example)

Southampton - Hassocks route not London CDR.

I would be travelling from Southampton via the west coastway and spending sometime in Brighton, on the way back I would go via Clapham Junction and would change from using the out portion of my ticket to using the return portion at Hassocks.

My 2 questions are:
1, Does the train need to stop at Hassocks?
2, Does condition 19 apply or am I still using only 1 ticket?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivo

Established Member
*Not definitive*

I would expect it would have to call at Hassocks. Otherwise, as far as the service in question is concerned you would have effectively been travelling over-distance once you clear the last point at which it stops, given you wouldn't be able to pick up the RTN leg until the next stop. I couldn't possibly answer 2 though.

wintonian

Established Member
Another question I thought of is there a definition of what constitutes a 'ticket' as opposed to 'tickets' anywhere?

John @ home

Established Member
Ticket held (I won't be using this actual ticket but it works as an example)

Southampton - Hassocks route not London CDR.
Sorry, this is not a good example.

Southampton - Hassocks CDR fares are:
Via Barnham £15.00 (Railcard £9.90) B3
Claphm J Not Ldn £33.80 (Railcard £22.30) UT
+ Any Permitted £52.30 (Railcard £34.50) B3

Surely you'd be much better with the Southampton - Brighton route Not Via London CDR £25.00 (Railcard £16.50) B3.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
No. We have debated whether an excess fare is a ticket or a voucher without reaching a conclusion.

We have also debated whether a train must stop at the destination and, if so, whether it needs to stop for both setting down and picking up, without reaching a conclusion. But I would not expect a trouble-free journey if changing from the ouward to the return leg of a ticket at a station which the train passes through without stopping.

I don't think there's any doubt that a return ticket is one and only one ticket, normally consisting of at least two vouchers.

wintonian

Established Member
Thanks, I had forgotten about the excess fare debate.

The Southampton - Brighton ticket may actually be a better option in this case and maybe slightly cheaper than the ticket I was thinking off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.