• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Does Derbyshire Police have a problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antman

Established Member
It mentions "blew 38" above, though I don't recall what the legal levels are.

Oh yes although that appeared after my original post............ I'm happy to be corrected but I think the legal limit is 35 but normally not prosecuted up to 40.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Oh yes although that appeared after my original post............ I'm happy to be corrected but I think the legal limit is 35 but normally not prosecuted up to 40.

Ah thanks for clarifying; yeah a ten percent or so leeway makes sense. One pint and I'm done though if driving. Provided said pint is 4 or 5 something per cent, which to be fair most beers are! If cider, I'll stick to a weaker one as many are above 6 per cent especially in the West Country when I go to visit family down there.

Jimini

Established Member
As I say, I'll pull over when/where is safe to do so. In all my years of driving I've probably had an emergency vehicle behind me with blues and twos on maybe half a dozen times between all types on a single carriageway road, so the chances are so low anyway.

Do you live on the Isle of Wight or something? :lol:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
So you'll happily delay the police even though you have absolutely no idea what the nature of their business is. Do you adobt this attitude even they're using blues and twos, i.e. an emergency shout?
Why would you pull over for a police car that wasn’t on blue lights (unless a police officer in said car asked you to)?

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Why would you pull over for a police car that wasn’t on blue lights (unless a police officer in said car asked you to)?

There are more police cars round my area since the lockdown, but fewer on blues and twos. Maybe they just stuck out more with less regular traffic. Regular traffic has built up a little now since the Government encouraged a few sectors to go back to work, however levels are still far inferior to pre-COVID-19.

Last edited:

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Do you live on the Isle of Wight or something? :lol:

I've been once - was nice - but I'd go crazy if I lived there! Same with somewhere like Guernsey or Jersey. Prefer the option of big cities within reasonable distance and cost. I must have just got lucky: then again I drive purely off-peak and of the few thousand miles I cover per year, quite a lot are on motorways or dual carriageways.

jfollows

Established Member
Derbyshire Police fell in to the mistake of attempting to implement a police state, in which they enforce the wishes and desires of people such as Cabinet ministers, rather than in seeking to enforce the law as passed by Parliament. Their Chief Constable has now decided to retire reasonably soon rather than have to continue defending their actions. In their defence, they were seeking to adapt to new and unprecedented circumstances, but upholding the law should have come at the top of their implementation rather than some way down their priority list.

So, yes, Derbyshire Police do have a problem.

Are they unique in that? Probably not. However, some other police forces have approached the current situation with a lot more common sense and respect for both individuals and the law.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Derbyshire Police fell in to the mistake of attempting to implement a police state, in which they enforce the wishes and desires of people such as Cabinet ministers, rather than in seeking to enforce the law as passed by Parliament. Their Chief Constable has now decided to retire reasonably soon rather than have to continue defending their actions. In their defence, they were seeking to adapt to new and unprecedented circumstances, but upholding the law should have come at the top of their implementation rather than some way down their priority list.

So, yes, Derbyshire Police do have a problem.

Are they unique in that? Probably not. However, some other police forces have approached the current situation with a lot more common sense and respect for both individuals and the law.

Very well summed-up and the reason why many citizens treat the police with disdain (yet are happy to clap for them Thursdays at 8pm!)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Lancashire is the only other one that I've noticed that also had that problem. It isn't just Derbyshire, but it certainly wasn't all of them - Thames Valley for instance were quite "light-touch" on it all, but it does help that their area of responsibility is decidedly middle-class and well-behaved.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
That's clapping for carers - pretty much the NHS plus those working in care homes and caring in the home - I doubt anyone has the Police in mind for this.

I just had anybody in mind who's made our country safer during the pandemic and the Police have played their part too :D

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Lancashire is the only other one that I've noticed that also had that problem. It isn't just Derbyshire, but it certainly wasn't all of them - Thames Valley for instance were quite "light-touch" on it all, but it does help that their area of responsibility is decidedly middle-class and well-behaved.

Reading has its fair share of down-and-outs despite being a wealthy London commuter town and a fairly large base in its own right! But the areas around Reading do have a decided whiff of the middle class.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Reading has its fair share of down-and-outs despite being a wealthy London commuter town and a fairly large base in its own right! But the areas around Reading do have a decided whiff of the middle class.

MK similarly has its "sink estates" but they're nothing like the ones you find in large cities - there are certainly none of them where I would fear walking, whereas there are parts of London, Liverpool and Manchester (for example) where I'd only really want to go there by car with the doors locked. And you've got that swathe of poshness in between Reading and Aylesbury (which itself isn't that posh), of course.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Can we stay on topic please - we are discussing the behaviour of the Derbyshire Police Force. Thanks :)

LMS 4F

Yes, we have Police Scotland, no, it is in no way a shambles.
You've simply made this up - why?
Based upon what I have read and having spoken to officers serving in Scotland. It will all depend on who is giving their opinion.
My own Police experience has taught me that what is often thought to be a good idea at one level, often the top, is considered a disaster at another level, often the lower ones.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
I do suspect that there are some problems brewing in Derbyshire Police - Peter Goodman their Chief Constable has announced he is retiring two years before his contract expires. It has been reported that Goodman has been probed over a misconduct matter that has not been made public. He has been critised in the press over spending public funds over the robust policing of lockdown flouters flocking to the Peak District in March/April but I suspect there may be more to this than meets the eye.

The neighbouring force GMP is under an enormous amount of pressure at the moment in comparison to Derbyshire. The recent Rochdale grooming scandal & the Anthony Grainger shooting are quite uncomfortable reading and do nothing for the reputation or moral of the force.

CJ

Status
Not open for further replies.