• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Does Richmond count as a cross London station?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomPat

E.g. on the 6:36 from South Acton to Cosham. The route 700 tickets shown on brfares are allowed, but I thought Richmond counted as cross london?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I have no idea what you mean.

What do you mean by Route 700? Do you mean the Not Via London routeing, as in ticket route code 00700? Not Via London routeings do not normally include a cross-London transfer.

What is the itinerary you are looking at?

Romilly

Established Member
The tickets you refer to, e.g. the £36 "not via London" anytime day return, are valid via Richmond & Clapham Junction (neither of which counts as London for this purpose), but are not valid via Waterloo.

You can get a South Acton-Richmond-Clapham Junction-Cosham itinerary for those tickets on the National Rail Enquiries journey planner.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
For the purposes of "Not Via London", the relevant stations that have to be avoided are those in the London routeing group, namely:
  • Blackfriars
  • Cannon Street
  • Charing Cross
  • City Thameslink
  • Euston
  • Fenchurch Street
  • Kings Cross
  • Liverpool Street
  • London Bridge
  • Marylebone
  • Moorgate
  • Old Street
  • Paddington
  • St Pancras
  • Vauxhall
  • Victoria
  • Waterloo
  • Waterloo East

So, for example, a journey from Watford Junction to Southampton Central that used the Southern service via Kensington Olympia to get to Clapham Junction would be perfectly fine on a ticket routed "not via London" if one existed for that journey. (Upon checking, the relevant tickets are actually routed "via Kensington Olympia"). What you couldn't do on such a ticket is Watford Junction - Euston, tube to Waterloo, then Waterloo - Southampton Central.

embers25

Established Member
For the purposes of "Not Via London", the relevant stations that have to be avoided are those in the London routeing group, namely:
  • Blackfriars
  • Cannon Street
  • Charing Cross
  • City Thameslink
  • Euston
  • Fenchurch Street
  • Kings Cross
  • Liverpool Street
  • London Bridge
  • Marylebone
  • Moorgate
  • Old Street
  • Paddington
  • St Pancras
  • Vauxhall
  • Victoria
  • Waterloo
  • Waterloo East

So, for example, a journey from Watford Junction to Southampton Central that used the Southern service via Kensington Olympia to get to Clapham Junction would be perfectly fine on a ticket routed "not via London" if one existed for that journey. (Upon checking, the relevant tickets are actually routed "via Kensington Olympia"). What you couldn't do on such a ticket is Watford Junction - Euston, tube to Waterloo, then Waterloo - Southampton Central.

I thought Kensington Olympia was considered as via London. I know it didn't used to be as I always went that way but I thought that had changed?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Kensington Olympia is NOT part of London Group or London Terminals and that's been the case for many years.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
AFAIK Kensington Olympia used to be a London Terminal in old (BR) days, but no longer is.

kieron

Established Member
Is Vauxhall a station to avoid with "not via London" tickets? You get "not via London" paper tickets between Vauxhall and various stations in the London zones served by Southern (such as Ewell East), which makes me wonder if the restriction is actually on railway stations in zone 1.

I don't know if this matters for anyone not travelling to Vauxhall (such as TomPat), though.

button_boxer

Established Member
Is Vauxhall a station to avoid with "not via London" tickets? You get "not via London" paper tickets between Vauxhall and various stations in the London zones served by Southern (such as Ewell East), which makes me wonder if the restriction is actually on railway stations in zone 1.

I don't know if this matters for anyone not travelling to Vauxhall (such as TomPat), though.

Presumably the intention here is to disallow doubling back via Waterloo - RailMiles suggests Vauxhall to Waterloo is less than a mile and a half, so doubling back via Waterloo is less than three miles longer than the shortest route from Vauxhall to Ewell East. If you're starting from Vauxhall then the shortest (i.e. the direct) route does not go via any intermediate stations that are part of the London group.

MedwayValiant

Is there any "Not Via London" journey for which Vauxhall would be the natural changing point? Much as you could change at Vauxhall on a journey from (say) Staines to Dorking, route Not Via London, in practice you'd change at Clapham Junction.

I think this must be why Vauxhall is in the London Group, but Elephant - also in Zones 1 and 2, and also served by the London Underground - isn't. if you were travelling from (say) Chatham to Brighton, route Not Via London, you might in theory choose to go via Elephant and you'd be allowed to.

Status
Not open for further replies.