• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Does the circle line only go in one direction at Euston Square?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhyCantIRegist

Oh my God, this website rejected about 15 perfectly acceptable attempts at registration before it let me register, apparently "Freddy" is not an acceptable username.

Anyway, does the westbound circle line not stop at Euston Square underground?

I'm looking at this: https://tfl.gov.uk/tube/stop/940GZZLUESQ/euston-square-underground-station

And it's saying that there are eastbound circle line trains stopping at Euston Square, but there are no westbound circle line trains stopping at Euston Square. Is this a website mistake, or does the train not actually stop at Euston Square?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SaveECRewards

The station has two platforms for east and westbound. So unless there is work being done on one platform they're both open.

WhyCantIRegist

Ok maybe I was unclear.

According to tfl.gov.uk there are Circle, Metropolitian, Hammersmith line trains going eastbound at Euston Square.
According to tfl.gov.uk there are only Metropolitian and Hammersmith line trains going westbound at Euston Square.

So what I was asking was, does the westbound circle line train not stop at Euston Square, because it is not showing up as stopping here https://tfl.gov.uk/tube/stop/940GZZLUESQ/euston-square-underground-station

Last edited:

pdeaves

Established Member
There is no passenger difference between a westbound Circle and a westbound Hammersmith & City train, so a good proportion of the H&C ones shown on the web page are actually Circle.

phoenixcronin

The Circle line absolutely 100 billion % calls eastbound and westbound at Euston Square. I believe the reason the website doesn't show any westbound Circle Line is because both Circle and H&C trains are described as "Hammersmith" or "Hammersmith via Paddington", and so any Circle Line train shows up as an H&C.

I believe this is due to the ancient signalling system (soon to be replaced) meaning train descriptions are not very accurate.

I note that the problem occurs all the way from Liverpool Street to Paddington and beyond

Last edited:

rebmcr

Established Member
Only the Eastbound platform at Euston Square is step-free, so Westbound might not show up depening on which filter you have selected.

Daniel

Established Member
It's because westbound trains use the H&C TD (train description) code for the signalling computers at Baker Street. It'll only show as a Circle of its going down via High St Ken.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
H&C runs every 10 minutes and Circle every 10 minutes to Hammersmith, so if you get a train every 5 minutes then every other train is a Circle line train, just not explicitly advertised as so, because it makes no practical difference to a passenger going westbound at Euston Square. They call at the same places.

The destination boards at the front of the train should show the correct line name, in most cases. If you get really fussy, you can also distinguish them through train numbers.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
It'll only show as a Circle of its going down via High St Ken.

Which doesn't happen at Euston Square, except maybe at funny times of day or if service is disrupted, as the trains on that part of the Circle normally start from Edgware Road.

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Is the reasoning that it will confuse potential Circle Line customers into thinking they can catch a direct train to Notting Hill Gate, High St Ken etc and only realise their mistake when they get to Westbourne Park, or even Hammersmith? Life was much easier when it was a true Circle Line!

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The Tyne and Wear Metro did the same thing in its early years. There was a long "yellow" route from Heworth to St James via Benton and the Coast, and short workings between Heworth and Benton (red) and between St James and the Coast (blue). However the short workings returning towards Heworth or St James were just shown on blinds as being part of the yellow route.

I seem to remember reading the S Stock destination display changes several times during a journey between Hammersmith and Edgware Road via Liverpool Street, so presumably the front of the train wouldn't show "Circle" when passing westbound through Euston Square either.

rebmcr

Established Member
I seem to remember reading the S Stock destination display changes several times during a journey between Hammersmith and Edgware Road via Liverpool Street, so presumably the front of the train wouldn't show "Circle" when passing westbound through Euston Square either.

The destination/route display is separate from the line display.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
My cousin was waiting for a Circle Line service from Paddington to Victoria on Sunday and she said she waited for 20 minutes and nothing showed, so she had to get a District Line service to Earls Court and then another one across to Victoria (she didn't go the fast route via Oxford Circus and Victoria Line because she didn't want to change as she had loads of bags).

bluegoblin7

Established Member
My cousin was waiting for a Circle Line service from Paddington to Victoria on Sunday and she said she waited for 20 minutes and nothing showed, so she had to get a District Line service to Earls Court and then another one across to Victoria (she didn't go the fast route via Oxford Circus and Victoria Line because she didn't want to change as she had loads of bags).

The Circle line was closed in both directions on Sunday due to the engineering work East of Tower Hill/King's Cross. This was very widely advertised across the Combine, including at Paddington.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
(she didn't go the fast route via Oxford Circus and Victoria Line because she didn't want to change as she had loads of bags).

That way is out of action at the moment as Bakerloo line trains are not stopping at Paddington until August.

WelshBluebird

Established Member

Tbh Paddington to Victoria is just as easily done by bus! May be worth considering in the future anyway if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.