• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Does your internet feel slow at the moment? What impact will this have on home working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

3rd rail land

When there is high network traffic, FTTP suffers all of the restrictions as FTTC or even twisted pair all the way to the exchange. The only difference is that the speed of the feed from the cabinet or exchange is faster with FTTP. So backbone limits will render FTTP not much faster than all but the longest copper links if you are using a medium bandwidth service like Skype.
Interesting. Didn't realise this.

I guess the pertinent questions are :- what ISP? How are you connecting to your router? What speed are you paying for?

Lots to unpick before concluding that it must be congestion, if you're using wifi I'd suspect that first of all
I am an IT engineer and am very familiar with troubleshooting technical things such as slow internet connectivity.

My ISP is Hyperoptic and I am connecting with WiFi. I am paying for 100Mb.
I did run a speed test both on WiFi and using an ethernet cable and WiFi was only slightly slower. That said it did speed up later in the day and I reckon my employer's VPN was being hammered causing the slowdown as I was connected to the VPN when I experienced the slowness.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

robbeech

Established Member
The only thing iv'e noticed is a short drop in all internet connectivity at about 0100 on a couple of nights that i've never noticed before. However, given my usage has gone up considerably since i've been working at home (amongst other things i do audio editing/recording so lots coming in and going out) i had been having speed issues so i've started using my TP link router as a DSL modem and router and scrapped the BT modem. I've also upgraded the Ethernet over Power boxes at the same time. So my connection is notably faster now so i can't really tell if its slower than it would have been had we not been in this situation. I get around 70/30 which is adequate. for anythign i do and well overspec for most things.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I have experienced no problems making video calls at home. They work fine over a powerline wired connection, but are pretty grainy over WiFi. My phone does WiFi video calling acceptably though.

Nothing remotely like the speed of being connected to an office laptop dock, however.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Not noticed any dip in speeds here. On my phone connected to my wifi I'm getting 110mbps compared to my advertised 100mbps. That's with Virgin Media. Getting 70 ish via my wifi on my PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.