• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dominic Cummings alleged breach of lockdown rules discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darandio

Established Member
Number 10: Cummings didn't go to Barnard Castle, these allegations are palpably false.
Cummings: I went to Barnard Castle.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

thejuggler

None of what he is now saying will make any of this go away quickly.

"I'm a very busy person making lots of difficult decisions" doesn't really cut it. So are thousands of others who are also doing as they were advised.

My vision was wierd so I decided to take all the family out for a drive.

Ivor

Originally Balham & now The West Sussex Coastway
None of what he is now saying will make any of this go away quickly.

"I'm a very busy person making lots of difficult decisions" doesn't really cut it. So are thousands of others who are also doing as they were advised.
Yes & as I worked at a main line seaside station today the thousands coming through no longer want to do what they were advised & although to a degree this would have happened anyway Cummings has really given the green light!

VauxhallandI

Established Member
We are now officially the same as the USA.

They can do and say whatever they like, it’s almost like they are playing a games to be more and more outrageous to see what they can get away with.

He’s a horrible little man but some will still defend him.

baz962

Established Member
Can't wait now to see what Boris will say. Wether anyone believes this or not , it's an absolute car crash of a press conference. Edit , can't wait for sir Kier's response either .

SteveM70

Established Member
Also very interesting what he claims his role is dealing with c19. He reeled off a list most of which I can’t remember but it included “getting money moved around” and a load of other stuff that are light years from a SPADs job description

Iskra

Established Member
Can't wait now to see what Boris will say. Wether anyone believes this or not , it's an absolute car crash of press conference.

I don't understand what the purpose of this press conference was? It's clear that the general public are annoyed, continuing to defend this position is just making him look even more out of touch.

SteveM70

Established Member
Can't wait now to see what Boris will say. Wether anyone believes this or not , it's an absolute car crash of a press conference. Edit , can't wait for sir Kier's response either .

Prince Andrew is currently on the phone to his mum saying “see? I didn’t do so badly did I?”

farleigh

I did not think it was terrible tbf.

When I started watching it I had little time for him but it came across as honest if nothing else. I don't think I would have been any more impressed if it was a slickly presented affair.

philosopher

Established Member
Another thing is that I suspect he broke the rules regarding driving. Rule 92 of the Highway Code states that you must be able to see a number place 20m away to drive:

Iskra

Established Member

When I started watching it I had little time for him but it came across as honest if nothing else. I don't think I would have been any more impressed if it was a slickly presented affair.

He did come across as human, yes. But then also stubborn, defiant, arrogant, unaccountable.

BJames

Established Member

I don't. He kept using phrases like "I'm sorry if you feel like this" kind of thing - it may have won some MPs over but there's not been the most favourable response on twitter, that's for sure.

farleigh

He did come across as human, yes. But then also stubborn, defiant, arrogant, unaccountable.
Yes - I certainly would not argue with stubborn.

I disagree with unaccountable else he would not have done the 'conference'.

Defiant - yes.

Arrogant I did not pick up on at all.

Esker-pades

Established Member
Questions and ambiguities that exist after the press conference:

In one night he was simultaneously too ill to go with his son to hospital, and able to drive 5 miles ("or 2 or 3 or 4") to that hospital to get take his wife and child home. "I could not look after a child; I could barely move to be honest..."

Why did he make a 30 mile drive to test his eyesight with his wife and child in the car?

Why was this drive to a tourist spot?

Why did he stop in said tourist spot?

Why did Downing Street deny that Cummings had gone to Barnard Castle when Cummings himself said he went there? Downing Street was aware of this before they made the statements that he hadn't visited because Cummings said the exact same thing to them that he just said to the press.

He could not explain why he wrote an article about coronavirus & lockdown that mentioned London specifically and in detail despite isolating in Durham.

He made no enquiries with friends, relatives, etc. closer to Durham.

In answer to a question about whether he had thought about if he thought his conduct would result in confusion on rules etc., he said that he "was worried about the whole thing on the Friday night [27th March]", and yet he did nothing to allay the confusion for 4 days and allowed the government to say things that he is now completely contradicting.

I'm sure there are more.

farleigh

I don't. He kept using phrases like "I'm sorry if you feel like this" kind of thing - it may have won some MPs over but there's not been the most favourable response on twitter, that's for sure.
Yes - I am sure Twitter will be hostile.

It was just my take on how he presented himself.

baz962

Established Member

Well I started to give him the benefit . However , he couldn't make any of the statement without his paper's. Sorry but if it's the truth and without much time passed , you shouldn't need note's. You only need note's if you can't remember and lies are hard to remember. Plus while reading his note's he wasn't stammering , but developed a very bad stammer during questions. Almost certainly a big bag of fertiliser.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I don't understand what the purpose of this press conference was? It's clear that the general public are annoyed, continuing to defend this position is just making him look even more out of touch.

I might have bought it more if it was along the lines of "it was a difficult situation, I recognise I've done things that other people sticking the rules didn't, I'm sorry".

farleigh

Well I started to give him the benefit . However , he couldn't make any of the statement without his paper's. Sorry but if it's the truth and without much time passed , you shouldn't need note's. You only need note's if you can't remember and lies are hard to remember. Plus while reading his note's he wasn't stammering , but developed a very bad stammer during questions. Almost certainly a big bag of fertiliser.
I understand your viewpoint but it would be a bold person who did not take notes into that environment.

Domh245

Established Member
"I'm sorry if you feel like this"

A phrase also used by the equally unpleasant home secretary I note, which she also got plenty of stick for

The home secretary has said she is sorry if NHS staff feel there has been a failure to provide protective kit for those treating coronavirus patients.

Iskra

Established Member
I might have bought it more if it was along the lines of "it was a difficult situation, I recognise I've done things that other people sticking the rules didn't, I'm sorry".

Yes, that would at least have earnt him a bit of credit.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
In one night he was simultaneously too ill to go with his son to hospital, and able to drive 5 miles ("or 2 or 3 or 4") to that hospital to get take his wife and child home.

"I didn't know if I was fit to drive, so I went for a drive"?

Needs his licence taking off him if that is his unapologetic attitude.

Darandio

Established Member

I'm completely baffled as to how you can say it came across as honest when it was full of holes and lies???

Esker-pades

Established Member
"I didn't know if I was fit to drive, so I went for a drive"?

Needs his licence taking off him if that is his unapologetic attitude.
With his wife and child in the back of that car too. What an absolute plank.

I've already had discussions with people who think Cummings was in the right. So far, she has referenced Jeremy Corbyn's policy on grammar schools and Hong Kong as justficiations.

Dear, oh dear.

Status
Not open for further replies.