• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dominic Cummings alleged breach of lockdown rules discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Maitlis his since publically stated that she was not 'replaced' but 'asked for the night off'.

It still stands though that then BBC thought she 'did not meet the required standards of due impartiality'.

I think she reflected the current mood of the nation pretty well!

Yes, Emily, of course you asked for the day off. (where's that "rolls eyes" emoji when you want it)?

In a perverse way, I quite admire Cummings for his brazen cheek in batting off all the criticism when he's so clearly in the wrong. The left wing media are so desperate to get rid of him but if he can see this one out, he'll probably be invincible, job-wise!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AM9

Veteran Member
... In a perverse way, I quite admire Cummings for his brazen cheek in batting off all the criticism when he's so clearly in the wrong. ...
There aren't many around here that can say that they admire Cummings selfish and arrogant behaviour, - not what I would call remotely admirable.

thejuggler

As expected this won't die easily.

It is now being reported the Police have concluded he broke the law with the trip to Barnard Castle.

jfollows

Established Member
Durham Police has concluded that Dominic Cummings did breach lockdown rules when he drove to Barnard Castle, that it was a "minor" breach but would have warranted police intervention at the time.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Yes, Emily, of course you asked for the day off. (where's that "rolls eyes" emoji when you want it)?

In a perverse way, I quite admire Cummings for his brazen cheek in batting off all the criticism when he's so clearly in the wrong. The left wing media are so desperate to get rid of him but if he can see this one out, he'll probably be invincible, job-wise!
There seems to be a correlation between countries whose rulers have this type of attitude (Trump, Bolsonaro, Johnson, Putin) with those that have the highest numbers of Covid cases.

nlogax

Established Member

I do somewhat see your point of view. The modern approach to trying to force people out of positions of responsibility is via a media and social pitchforking on a national level. Folks can't seem to grasp that Cummings doesn't care what we all think and won't be swayed by the press or anyone else. Rightly or wrongly, his audacity is going to be an object lesson for others in how to stay in such positions.

The only way he's leaving his post is if forced. No-one in government is going to do that unless other allegations come to light, or if the Prime Minister gains some testicular fortitude.

bspahh

Established Member
Durham Police has concluded that Dominic Cummings did breach lockdown rules when he drove to Barnard Castle, that it was a "minor" breach but would have warranted police intervention at the time.
says:
Dominic Cummings did break lockdown rules when he made a 50-mile journey to Barnard Castle, an investigation by Durham Police has concluded.

The Prime Minister’s most senior aide claimed he made the trip on Easter Sunday, with his wife and four-year-old son, to check he was fit to drive after suffering coronavirus-related eyesight problems.

Mr Cummings insisted he had acted “lawfully and reasonably” at all times when he made the 260-mile journey from London to Durham to self-isolate at his parents’ farm at the end of March.

But The Telegraph has learned that an investigation by Durham Police has concluded he did commit a "minor breach" of the guidelines when he drove to Barnard Castle on April 12.

However the force, which according to the most recent data, has issued 137 fines for lockdown breaches, said it would not be taking any further action against Mr Cummings.

bspahh

Established Member
Either no action will be taken by the police or they will just give him a slap on the wrist and tell him not to do it again

But, if it was anyone else who isn't in a privileged or powerful position, a FPN would be issued

Its not so good for the Attorney General. From this thread:

This, I’m afraid, is a resigning issue for
@SuellaBraverman
She has, through a wholesale failure to understand her role as Attorney General, politicised an independent criminal inquiry, presupposing the outcome and embarrassing the CPS.

bspahh

Established Member
The press release from Durham Constabulary is
https://www.durham.police.uk//news-and-events/Pages/News Articles/Durham-Constabulary-press-statement--.aspx
...Durham Constabulary have examined the circumstances surrounding the journey to Barnard Castle (including ANPR, witness evidence and a review of Mr Cummings’ press conference on 25 May 2020) and have concluded that there might have been a minor breach of the Regulations that would have warranted police intervention. Durham Constabulary view this as minor because there was no apparent breach of social distancing.

Had a Durham Constabulary police officer stopped Mr Cummings driving to or from Barnard Castle, the officer would have spoken to him, and, having established the facts, likely advised Mr Cummings to return to the address in Durham, providing advice on the dangers of travelling during the pandemic crisis. Had this advice been accepted by Mr Cummings, no enforcement action would have been taken.

In line with Durham Constabulary’s general approach throughout the pandemic, there is no intention to take retrospective action in respect of the Barnard Castle incident since this would amount to treating Mr Cummings differently from other members of the public. Durham Constabulary has not taken retrospective action against any other person....

Last edited by a moderator:

Swanny200

I'm not sure I would do that even if shielding. It should be possible in most places to get out for a walk, if you go at the crack of dawn or late at night you can probably find somewhere you won't come anywhere near other people.

I have a decent sized back garden I can exercise in and to be honest I am one of the most anti-social people you will meet (another part of my autism) so to be honest this suits me down to the ground.

Its not so good for the Attorney General. From this thread:

The same attorney general who was chair of the ERG before Rees-Smug, tried to force May to quit numerous times to force a leadership contest, flip flops between supporting Jewish people and making really shady comments about them in the next breath and when she loses an election, ends up being carted to a safe seat where she can win again. I have always thought that your local MP should be someone who is from the area, knows the area and knows the people, rather than someone wheeled in to win a seat for the ruling party.

She is just another Fester McVey and will quite happily sweep things under the rug when it comes to Demonic Cummings.

jfollows

Established Member
I really like the section of the Durham Constabulary press release in which they point out that to take action against Dominic Cummings for his breach of the regulations would be contrary to their practice with other members of the public.
In line with Durham Constabulary’s general approach throughout the pandemic, there is no intention to take retrospective action in respect of the Barnard Castle incident since this would amount to treating Mr Cummings differently from other members of the public. Durham Constabulary has not taken retrospective action against any other person.
I think this rather subtly impinges on the whole problem here, in that Dominic Cummings' actions demonstrate that other members of the public should comply with the regulations that he helped write, but that he acts as if he doesn't have to.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
The left wing media are so desperate to get rid of him but if he can see this one out, he'll probably be invincible, job-

The Daily Mail is left wing now? Really?

I'm not sure I can quite picture Geordie Grieg singing the Red Flag, but I've been wrong before.

That noted Corbynista *checks notes* Julia Hartley-Brewer also thinks he should quit.

But, if it was anyone else who isn't in a privileged or powerful position, a FPN would be issued

Or worse, as the lady who was arrested at Newcastle railway station (12 minutes away from Durham!) and unlawfully held in custody all weekend will testify.

Of course the police will do nothing about him. Why arrest a Tory when you can roll over and have your tummy tickled.

I'm also sure it's pure coincidence the woman they arrested is black!

Folks can't seem to grasp that Cummings doesn't care what we all think

There's a word to describe someone like Cummings. That word is "psychopath". David Cameron said he was years ago, and he should know. Those of us who watch politics know all about Cummings from when he was Gove's SpAd ten years ago.

None of this is a surprise, not even Boris Johnson having cajones the size of a gnat.

What interests me is whether it would have played out the same way if we weren't over four years from an election.

Last edited:

VauxhallandI

Established Member
I wrote to my MP:

Dear Sir,

I felt moved to write to you to convey my utmost dismay with the conduct of Dominic Cummings with regard to the Covid-19 restrictions and guidance.

He has gone against all the advice we have been following for over ten weeks; it has not been easy and there have been hard choices made by our family in the process. I have not been my parents who are both in their mid seventies for the entire period partly due to their location in Marlow on Thames some 50 miles away.

The story that Mr Cummings has concocted over the past week is an insult to anyone’s intelligence and he is now dragging down your front bench with him. I’m not exactly sure why other grown adults feel they have to ridicule themselves for the benefit of this unelected individual.

As the author of the rules it feels very much as there is another rule for the leaders; the in it together line now feels like Stalinist rubbish.

The man must go before he takes you all with him.

Regards,

I've received this response letter from my MP regarding the incident and I have to say the content has left me more annoyed than I was before. You can smell the contempt he has for his electorate.

At least we know he has received many similar letters due to the nature of the response being a one insult fits all

Attachments

• Walker IMG_3961.jpg
    Walker IMG_3961.jpg
    420.6 KB · Views: 96

DelW

Established Member
In the light of the Durham Constabulary report, should the word "alleged" now be removed from the title of this thread? I think we can now see that it's an established fact, even if his few remaining defenders still refuse to accept it.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
I wrote to my MP:

[....]

I've received this response letter from my MP regarding the incident and I have to say the content has left me more annoyed than I was before. You can smell the contempt he has for his electorate.

At least we know he has received many similar letters due to the nature of the response being a one insult fits all

Props to him for not using the cut and paste reply that many Tory MPs have deployed from the party HQ.

He went ahead and used his own words to annoy you even more than the stock reply possibly could!

westv

Established Member
In the light of the Durham Constabulary report, should the word "alleged" now be removed from the title of this thread? I think we can now see that it's an established fact, even if his few remaining defenders still refuse to accept it.
The police say he didn't break them when travelling to Durham.
They say he might have broken them when he went to Barnard Castle.

scotrail158713

Established Member
And? They have announced he has broken them, the thread title currently says “allegedly”, but no reference to Durham in particular. I reckon it’d be fair enough to change the wording of the title now.

Butts

Veteran Member

Did the Police not say he would have just got a "ticking off" - like any other member of the public would have for the Barnard Castle excursion.

Hardly the crime of the century !!

SteveM70

Established Member
Did the Police not say he would have just got a "ticking off" - like any other member of the public would have for the Barnard Castle excursion.

The point is surely that the severity of the crime is related to who the offender is. Cummings is part of the leadership of the country and therefore him breaking the law is a bigger deal than Joe Public.

Similar to what you read in the disputes and prosecutions forum where the impact of a conviction on the offender’s life can vary massively dependent on their profession

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

True, but it's the hypocrisy of it. If you make the rules, you need to be very sure you're going to stick to then, otherwise they are bad rules.

Butts

Veteran Member
True, but it's the hypocrisy of it. If you make the rules, you need to be very sure you're going to stick to then, otherwise they are bad rules.

Sums it up !

I think the interesting part is that he did not break the Law or "Rules" for the Durham visit the main part of the journey which he was villified for.

thejuggler

Not the crime of the century, that can be reserved for the moment policies he devised and promoted see the number of deaths exceed the total bumber of civilian deaths during WW2.

bspahh

Established Member

"might" is used in the press release from the police because it is not their job to say that someone is guilty. That is for that courts. These are two tweets from well respected lawyers

https://twitter.com/BarristerSecret/status/1265986473955819520 explains this

Lots of excitement about “might”. The reason for this is that the police don’t determine breaches; they form an opinion. If that opinion is disputed, a court will decide. In this context, “might” means the police concluded it *was*. Hence they say they would have sent him back.

https://twitter.com/davidallengreen/status/1265998162105372672 says:

So in summary:
- confused police statement wording
- police consider the Castle Barnard trip as an offence under the regulations
- but on known facts it was so minor that words of advice would have been given
- only if words of advice rejected, more formal police powers invoked

This is a longer quote from the press release from Durham Constabulary, which explains how they try to Engage, Explain and Encourage before Enforcement https://www.durham.police.uk//news-and-events/Pages/News Articles/Durham-Constabulary-press-statement--.aspx

Durham Constabulary have examined the circumstances surrounding the journey to Barnard Castle (including ANPR, witness evidence and a review of Mr Cummings’ press conference on 25 May 2020) and have concluded that there might have been a minor breach of the Regulations that would have warranted police intervention. Durham Constabulary view this as minor because there was no apparent breach of social distancing.

Had a Durham Constabulary police officer stopped Mr Cummings driving to or from Barnard Castle, the officer would have spoken to him, and, having established the facts, likely advised Mr Cummings to return to the address in Durham, providing advice on the dangers of travelling during the pandemic crisis. Had this advice been accepted by Mr Cummings, no enforcement action would have been taken.

In line with Durham Constabulary’s general approach throughout the pandemic, there is no intention to take retrospective action in respect of the Barnard Castle incident since this would amount to treating Mr Cummings differently from other members of the public. Durham Constabulary has not taken retrospective action against any other person.

By way of further context, Durham Constabulary has followed Government guidance on management of alleged breaches of the regulations with the emphasis on the NPCC and College of Policing 4Es: Engage, Explain and Encourage before Enforcement.

Butts

Veteran Member
Not the crime of the century, that can be reserved for the moment policies he devised and promoted see the number of deaths exceed the total bumber of civilian deaths during WW2.

What absolute twaddle, I take it you mean in the UK?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Sums it up !

I think the interesting part is that he did not break the Law or "Rules" for the Durham visit the main part of the journey which he was villified for.

He may not have broken the law (and that is all, as Durham Plod say, they are responsible for) but I still believe he went against the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.