• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dominic Cummings alleged breach of lockdown rules discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bspahh

Established Member
Hardly suprising as he has not broken the Law - guidelines are exactly that not mandatory.

The police "considered" that he broke the law when he left his second home to go to Barnard Castle. It is not the job of the police to say if this was correct or not. That is for a court to decide. This is why the press release from the police said that he "might" have broken the law.

The press release also explains how if the police had met him in Barnard Castle, they would have told him to go back to his (second) home, and if he did that, that would have been the end of the matter. If he refused, then he would have been given a fine.

squizzler

Established Member
The big issue now with this sorry affair is that some MPs are leading a revolt against Boris Johnson decision not to hang Cummings out to dry and Kier Starmer is on the war path.
Even if the backbenchers got their way they would still be led by a complete shower in cabinet (shower cabinet, LOL). They would do better to copy what Churchill did in 1904 and cross the floor to sit with the Liberal Democrats for a while.

Last edited:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Even if the backbenchers got their way they would still be led by a complete shower. They would do better to copy what Churchill did in 1904 and cross the floor to sit with the Liberal Democrats for a while.
They would have to have a convenient epiphany on Brexit before the LibDems would have them.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
I've received this response letter from my MP regarding the incident and I have to say the content has left me more annoyed than I was before. You can smell the contempt he has for his electorate.

At least we know he has received many similar letters due to the nature of the response being a one insult fits all

Wow, that really is an appalling letter. I'm shocked by that. I don't blame him for doing a standard response because most MPs are getting hundreds of letters about Cummings and won't have time to write individual responses to each one. But what he says shows no understanding - or even attempt to understand -the anger people feel or why. I wonder if he's sent exactly the same letter to people who have suffered individual bereavements or similar situations but obeyed the rules.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Yes but the facts are that some people got away without detection and some didn't

However Cummings was detected, and the police investigated it. It is therefore very surprising that they have chosen not to pursue it, when you consider how heavy-handed their colleagues at Newcastle station were.

Hardly suprising as he has not broken the Law - guidelines are exactly that not mandatory.

He very likely did, especially the Barnard Castle trip, as the trip as he reported it does not fit into any of the permitted reasons for leaving home. I don't think the Durham trip does either, but it is less clear cut given how full of holes the English legislation was.

But the police cannot say he did as a fact, because only a court can decide that.

Of course the English law is so weak he could have used "going for a walk" as a valid defence, but that isn't what he said.

Luckily for Dommy C, the police have even less spine than Boris.

Last edited:

delt1c

Established Member
If Covid app had been in place then it could have shown the potential implication. My other half is a Nurse dealing daily with covid so on the front line and individuals disregarding the recommendations puts her , me and the rest of our family at risk. So i am experiencing this epidemic from the front line.

Last edited by a moderator:

BJames

Established Member
If you read this article: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...n-tam-lockdown-rules-apply-to-all#maincontent

It appears to be the case that Prof Jonathan Van Tam, Deputy Chief Medical Officer, has (tactfully) gone against the grain of government ministers and other advisors including Chris Whitty, Patrick Vallance and Jenny Harries, and took the opportunity to remind everybody that the rules apply to everyone.

For context, he was asked by Toby Helm from the Observer:
"You say this is a very dangerous moment, so what do you say to people in authority, should people in authority give a lead and obey the rules above all?"
Professor Van Tam replied:
"Thank you for the question and I'm quite happy to answer it. In my opinion, the rules are clear and they have always been clear. In my opinion, they are for the benefit of all, and in my opinion, they apply to all."

I think it was a very tactful and professional way to approach the question, clearly conveys his opinion but not being antagonistic.

Immediate edit: This was from the Downing Street Press Conference today, 30th May.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
In isolation, what Dommy C did wasn't crime of the century. But the precedent it set leads to this:

DURHAM Police have been forced to close a road in Teesdale due to congestion and Military Police were drafted in to help control the visiting hordes in Richmond.

The B6277 Bowlees to Ettersgill Beck Road has been closed and police are turning people away.

Durham Police said: The closure is due to the location having over 200 cars in attendance.
"It is requested that people do not attend this location and any persons currently visiting the location are respectfully requested to return to their vehicles to ease the congestion."

Durham Police can't exactly fine any of them now, can they.

It's now a government-sanctioned free for all.

SuperNova

All Boris Johnson had to do was ask for Cummings' resignation - he resigns and reappears in 6 months time when people would've long forgotten. Instead they lied time and time again to protect Cummings, asking cabinet ministers to support and that whole house of cards has collapsed. Respect for social distancing gone, respect for the rules and guidelines gone, respect for the government gone.

We're not heading for a second wave as we prematurely allow easing of restrictions, even though today we had more deaths than the rest of Europe combined. An embarrassment.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
The lockdown was collapsing anyway.

We have members of SAGE screaming "it's too soon", because their are too many cases, but refuse to tell the public what level of cases is likely to be acceptable.
A cynic might suggest that they are scared they will be blamed when the inevitable second peak occurs (and it is inevitable beyond an eternal lockdown continuing indefinitely) but know that they will never be blamed for economic collapse - so are never going to suggest a releasing of measures because they are covering themselves.

I'm afraid it seems very likely, barring a miracle emerging from the vaccine studies, that continuing with the Suppression strategy means a de-facto lockdown continuing almost forever.

Short of embracing the disciplinarian style of Ferdinand Schörner, the lockdown could have lasted at most another couple of weeks.
And given a caseload of ~8,000 per day, and a likely R value approaching 0.9 - waiting will have almost no effect anyway.

AM9

Veteran Member
All Boris Johnson had to do was ask for Cummings' resignation - he resigns and reappears in 6 months time when people would've long forgotten. Instead they lied time and time again to protect Cummings, asking cabinet ministers to support and that whole house of cards has collapsed. Respect for social distancing gone, respect for the rules and guidelines gone, respect for the government gone.

We're not heading for a second wave as we prematurely allow easing of restrictions, even though today we had more deaths than the rest of Europe combined. An embarrassment.
Well, the NHS is preparing for a second wave early in July, which when it happens in will require a return of some restrictions, - maybe quite a few, mainly to maintain a capability for non-COVID-19 cases, which there have been great concerns for. Before anyone asks for evidence, you won't get it because it isn't in the public domain yet.
The continual hankering for 'returning to normal' is putting this weak administration under pressure to make decisions that it knows will risk the second wave being worse than the first, - but ho hum, it's the will of the (noisiest section) of the public. :)

jfollows

Established Member
I just sense, and it's only a feeling with little facts to back it up, that what this government says and, in particular, what is "allowed" in the path to 'returning to normal' is increasingly irrelevant. More and more people are making up their minds that the lockdown has ended, in one way or another, and are acting according to their own desires and interpretation of reality as they see it.

Again, it's just a feeling, but the increasing irrelevance of the government started about a week ago.

The government can only govern with the consent and acquiescence of the governed, and these don't exist any more.

Even things that the government might be able to control, like reopening schools, isn't happening as they want it to because of local resistance.

Alongside this, the voices of people who speak sense and should be listened to are being drowned out, or tainted by association with those who talk increasing nonsense. Saying that it's "civic duty" to isolate when asked to in future is not stupid, but has become laughable in the mouth of this government.

jfollows

Established Member
Does he realise he has potentially killed thousands by his actions and his following arrogance?
I really don't think he does realise this, and I agree with you that this is one of the potential outcomes of his actions, however the implications have been vastly magnified by the actions of the Prime Minister, who is the real villain of the piece for me. Making a mistake and being sacked for it swiftly would have had few consequences on real people and their lives. Even Nicola Sturgeon worked this out in a few hours, having initially made totally the wrong call.

RichT54

I really don't think he does realise this, and I agree with you that this is one of the potential outcomes of his actions, however the implications have been vastly magnified by the actions of the Prime Minister, who is the real villain of the piece for me. Making a mistake and being sacked for it swiftly would have had few consequences on real people and their lives. Even Nicola Sturgeon worked this out in a few hours, having initially made totally the wrong call.

Johnson is just a figurehead leader, he can't sack the real head of the government.

jfollows

Established Member
I think if we had a real head of government behind the scenes, we might be in a better position than we are. I see Johnson as a woefully inept leader, whose cabinet is appointed in his own image to support him unquestioningly, with little real ability from him or any of them. I liked last week's Guardian comment (https://www.theguardian.com/comment...nic-cummings-boris-johnson-terrified-sack-him):
The thing about Johnson is that he desperately wanted to become prime minister, and he desperately wanted to have been prime minister. It’s just the bit in between he struggles with.
Sadly, though, I see Johnson as incapable of doing the job, and by his many mistakes many people will have died unnecessarily.

I'm arrogant enough not to believe a word he or his government says, but make up my own mind and act accordingly. I haven't been beyond the end of my driveway for two months. But others who are, like me, arrogant enough to make up their own minds will come to different conclusions and act accordingly. The Dominic Cummings episode has been the catalyst to provoke large numbers of people to make up their own minds and, in my opinion, come to the wrong conclusions.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I haven't been beyond the end of my driveway for two months.

That's your prerogative (for now; unless you're retired or a home worker anyway you're going to have to choose returning to work or being destitute at some point). However, it is totally unnecessary to restrict yourself to that extent (or imply that others should) unless you are shielding.

fgwrich

Established Member
Rosie Duffield: Labour MP steps down as whip after admitting lockdown breach

That’s the way to do it Rosie

Indeed, and a clever tactic to continue the undermining of Boris & Cummings.

Speaking of. While we are pretty much aware that Boris doesn't care what the public seem to think of him at the moment, the public are very much aware.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Indeed, and a clever tactic to continue the undermining of Boris & Cummings.

Speaking of. While we are pretty much aware that Boris doesn't care what the public seem to think of him at the moment, the public are very much aware.

There won't be an election till 2024/2025. People have short memories, believe you me if they want to vote Tory then they will regardless of what they are saying now.

fgwrich

Established Member
There won't be an election till 2024/2025. People have short memories, believe you me if they want to vote Tory then they will regardless of what they are saying now.

That maybe so, and while the Cummings business may easily be forgotten about in 4 years time, I don't think the governments handling of the Covid19 business will wash away as easily as Boris thinks it will. What's also interesting about the poll published in todays Observer is the amount of disdain within the party at the moment too.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I know how wrong I was before about Cummings going but I feel more than ever that it will happen soon, as Johnson gets the message that it could well be him, otherwise: don't forget, unlike Labour, Tory MPs have it in their power to rid themselves of a leader, regardless of whether that leader is a P.M. When you get a brownnosing MP like mine, Derek Thomas, not only openly declaring that Johnson should have 'got a grip' on the Cummings debacle far sooner but that Hancock was also out of order in being so rude to Labour's mental health spokesperson in the Commons you realise that many of them are s*it scared. That Committee of 100 could be arranging a secret vote within weeks, possibly days, otherwise. Watch the Tories sink in the opinion polls; unfortunately, probably taking the rest of us with them..

DynamicSpirit

Established Member

I agree that with potentially at least 4 years to go to an election, there's plenty of time for people to change their minds. However, I think this is long-term significant. Over the last year Boris has been electorally almost impregnable in part because of a gloss surrounding him where people see him as an anti-establishment figure who isn't a typical politician and who gets things done (look at the numbers of people who supported him when he basically took an axe to the constitution and the role of Parliament over Brexit). I'd say that's in part why he's been able to get away with so many obvious direct lies. A bit similar to Trump, although to a lesser degree.

But that has now gone. By supporting Cummings, in the eyes of many people who had supported him, he has become part of the establishment, part of the so-called 'elite' that many people like to make conspiracy theories about. That gloss surrounding him has suddenly gone. That's going to be very hard for him to recover from, and I suspect it will have long term implications in making it harder (though not impossible) for him to win an election even in 4 or so years' time.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Interesting reports today that of the two witnesses who claimed to have seen Dominic Cummings breaking the lockdown, one had broken the lockdown himself by driving 250 miles to see his daughter and the other has confessed to making up his story for a joke!

Three wrongs don't make a right of course, but it just goes to show you can't always believe what you read in the press!

HSTEd

Veteran Member
...because Cummings didn't follow his civic duty.

Does he realise he has potentially killed thousands by his actions and his following arrogance?

The lockdown was never going to hold indefinitely.

thejuggler

Interesting reports today that of the two witnesses who claimed to have seen Dominic Cummings breaking the lockdown, one had broken the lockdown himself by driving 250 miles to see his daughter and the other has confessed to making up his story for a joke!

Three wrongs don't make a right of course, but it just goes to show you can't always believe what you read in the press!

Including reports that a witness drove 250 miles and making out this was somehow a problem.

He drove to pick up a student from her digs which was permitted and within the guidance.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
...because Cummings didn't follow his civic duty.

I kinda agree that his actions are indirectly going to lead to many more deaths, and that is atrocious on Cummings's[1] part . But I would kinda hesitate about ascribing blame entirely to him. Remember, the people who subsequently break social distancing while using Cummings as an excuse are really the people who will more directly be responsible for those likely deaths, and we shouldn't absolve those people of the blame.

[1] As a total aside, I've just realised I'm not quite sure how the grammar works for turning a name that ends in 's' into a possessive.

Status
Not open for further replies.