• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Don Coffey cab ride video discussion

Railwaysceptic

Established Member
Also a channel called I think 'freightlinedriver'or something similar where he uses a camera fixed to his hat! Very interesting, although a bit disconcerting when he suddenly swivels round to look out of the side window! Mostly of south/south east plus Acton and cricklewood etc:
That sounds like Freight Rambler who was mentioned upthread as having withdrawn all his videos. Originally he used a fixed camera like everyone else and produced some really good material.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
One of the Ipswich freightliner drivers who is on twitter started a channel, Drivers Eye UK, first one Felixstowe to Ipswich SS, expect more routes from Ipswich on later videos

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Thank you; I just gave him a subscribe... :)

To keep on topic, I see a few more videos on Don C's channel. There's a new one up last week, Hull to Manchester Piccadilly with a 2020 filming date, and quite a few others have been put up in the last month or so. :)

Inversnecky

Thank you; I just gave him a subscribe... :)

To keep on topic, I see a few more videos on Don C's channel. There's a new one up last week, Hull to Manchester Piccadilly with a 2020 filming date, and quite a few others have been put up in the last month or so. :)

Maybe time to edit the title of the thread. Every time I see it come up, I think, ‘oh no’....

sw1ller

Established Member
Maybe time to edit the title of the thread. Every time I see it come up, I think, ‘oh no’....
Or, “don coffee cab ride videos on the way back, and they’re as brilliant as ever”.
Just a suggestion

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Or, “don coffee cab ride videos on the way back, and they’re as brilliant as ever”.
Just a suggestion

I'd second that. Watched the first half of the new Hull-Piccadilly one yesterday morning, and it's typically fantastic .

Inversnecky

I know's it's not always possible (desirable) and likely would need two cams synched or a very wide angle view with one that likely wouldn't include much of outside, but I wish you could also see the cab controls being operated during these cab rides - would be quite informative to the lay viewer.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I know's it's not always possible (desirable) and likely would need two cams synched or a very wide angle view with one that likely wouldn't include much of outside, but I wish you could also see the cab controls being operated during these cab rides - would be quite informative to the lay viewer.

This video I found fascinating - the forward view is overlaid with a speedometer, and then (on the High Speed lines) the ETCS/TVM indications:

_toommm_

Established Member

With most of these videos the agreement is that they don't show the public how a train is controlled. Yes it's fairly easy to work it out, and you can DIY with the likes of Train Sim, but certainly with Don Coffey that's the agreement.

Railwaysceptic

Established Member
Don Coffey's video from Chester to Birmingham International via Shrewsbury is now back on YouTube. I notice he is premiering a new journey from Earles Sidings to Drax in a few days time.

Don Coffey

I’ve been told about this thread by several colleagues. All I can say is that I’m very flattered and appreciate the support. There was a period about this time last year when I really was on the verge of packing it in but things have moved on a bit and through the help of several people I’m back in business and will be making more videos for a while yet (I’m probably not on Video 125s Christmas card list). I think you’ve worked out pretty well what happened but if I can answer any questions or clarify the situation I’ll be glad to as far as I can without violating TPEs rules. They pay my wages so I’m not about to upset them and in any case, they got me started with all this.

I’m sitting on several thousand pounds of advertising revenue which after discussions with TfW and Metrolink, we’ve decided will go to the Samaritans but I’ve had to hire an accountant to keep me out of trouble with the tax man and I’m waiting on his word about whether I can do it tax free. Everything needs to be declared and transparent to do it but I just need to get a green light off him.

I’ve been lucky to obtain some footage from Freightliner and I’ve just released the first of a full set from Metrolink who contacted me and filmed the routes with one of my cameras. There are two more cameras out and you’ll see the result of that in due course. Northern have always been helpful and they’ve pledged more help but as you can imagine they’ve got their hands full with covid and overdue training so I won’t be bothering them just yet. Once again, thanks for the kind words and as above, I’m happy to answer any questions about what happened or future events. I’m semi retired and on a job share now and I work a fortnight on and a fortnight off. I’m on this week so I’ll only be around some of the time, the rest I’ll be playing 1:1 scale trains.
Thanks and regards.

Established Member
I’ve been told about this thread by several colleagues. All I can say is that I’m very flattered and appreciate the support. There was a period about this time last year when I really was on the verge of packing it in but things have moved on a bit and through the help of several people I’m back in business and will be making more videos for a while yet (I’m probably not on Video 125s Christmas card list). I think you’ve worked out pretty well what happened but if I can answer any questions or clarify the situation I’ll be glad to as far as I can without violating TPEs rules. They pay my wages so I’m not about to upset them and in any case, they got me started with all this.

I’m sitting on several thousand pounds of advertising revenue which after discussions with TfW and Metrolink, we’ve decided will go to the Samaritans but I’ve had to hire an accountant to keep me out of trouble with the tax man and I’m waiting on his word about whether I can do it tax free. Everything needs to be declared and transparent to do it but I just need to get a green light off him.

I’ve been lucky to obtain some footage from Freightliner and I’ve just released the first of a full set from Metrolink who contacted me and filmed the routes with one of my cameras. There are two more cameras out and you’ll see the result of that in due course. Northern have always been helpful and they’ve pledged more help but as you can imagine they’ve got their hands full with covid and overdue training so I won’t be bothering them just yet. Once again, thanks for the kind words and as above, I’m happy to answer any questions about what happened or future events. I’m semi retired and on a job share now and I work a fortnight on and a fortnight off. I’m on this week so I’ll only be around some of the time, the rest I’ll be playing 1:1 scale trains.
Thanks and regards.
These are great Don, been watching few of them lately. Watched the stafford to Ditton last night. No idea how YouTube payment model works. What’s best way to increase the ad revenue for a great cause So people know? Is it to watch ads all way through, like the videos subscribe to channel etc? Also is there any reason why no sound?

Don Coffey

These are great Don, been watching few of them lately. Watched the stafford to Ditton last night. No idea how YouTube payment model works. What’s best way to increase the ad revenue for a great cause So people know? Is it to watch ads all way through, like the videos subscribe to channel etc? Also is there any reason why no sound?
You mean Crewe to Bootle? If it really was Stafford to Ditton it wasn’t mine. The Crewe to Bootle came from Rob Ellis, one of our driver managers at TPE. He salvaged several VHS tapes from the skip at Freightliner Intermodal where he used to work and we got them converted to MP4. Some don’t have sound and some have some pretty industrial in cab language but they are interesting in that they show just how much the railway has changed over the last 25-30 years. I’ve got more but not had chance to work on them.
Regarding revenue, they are monetised but Google (who own YouTube) seem to have got greedy and they can drive you nuts. I’ve subscribed because it’s Ad free and it’s a great resource. The alternative is to put up with the ads in the knowledge that the Samaritans will benefit from it. We chose them because of the links with the railway.

Railwaysceptic

Established Member

Thanks and regards.
Thank you very much for posting. I speak only for myself but I'd much appreciate a re-appearance of the "missing" videos concerning Derby: St. Pancras to Derby; Leeds to Derby and Derby to Lincoln and Loughborough. Thereafter: whatever you think fit - I'm sure we all trust your judgement - and at your leisure, in accordance with your own schedule.

Established Member
You mean Crewe to Bootle? If it really was Stafford to Ditton it wasn’t mine. The Crewe to Bootle came from Rob Ellis, one of our driver managers at TPE. He salvaged several VHS tapes from the skip at Freightliner Intermodal where he used to work and we got them converted to MP4. Some don’t have sound and some have some pretty industrial in cab language but they are interesting in that they show just how much the railway has changed over the last 25-30 years. I’ve got more but not had chance to work on them.
Hahaha no i got that wrong I watched the metro link one of yours from didsbury then found Stafford to Ditton One from somewhere else. I did watch the bootle one a few weeks ago, think that’s one of my favourites to be honest

Don Coffey

Thank you very much for posting. I speak only for myself but I'd much appreciate a re-appearance of the "missing" videos concerning Derby: St. Pancras to Derby; Leeds to Derby and Derby to Lincoln and Loughborough. Thereafter: whatever you think fit - I'm sure we all trust your judgement - and at your leisure, in accordance with your own schedule.
I was going to re-master them (posh term for improving the colour and sorting some spelling errors out!) but I’ll put them on some time this week. I do get a lot of requests for them to be fair. Bear with me.

Railwaysceptic

Established Member
I was going to re-master them (posh term for improving the colour and sorting some spelling errors out!) but I’ll put them on some time this week. I do get a lot of requests for them to be fair. Bear with me.
Many thanks. I'm very pleased and I'm sure a lot of other people are too.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I’ve been told about this thread by several colleagues. All I can say is that I’m very flattered and appreciate the support. There was a period about this time last year when I really was on the verge of packing it in but things have moved on a bit and through the help of several people I’m back in business and will be making more videos for a while yet (I’m probably not on Video 125s Christmas card list).
I have to say, Don, that I very much prefer your approach to a cab ride video to theirs. Theirs I don't bother with precisely because what I want is the uninterrupted real time full length journey with the actual train noises and the helpful little notes on the screen, discretely tucked away at the bottom where they don't obstruct anything.

fgwrich

Established Member
I have to say, Don, that I very much prefer your approach to a cab ride video to theirs. Theirs I don't bother with precisely because what I want is the uninterrupted real time full length journey with the actual train noises and the helpful little notes on the screen, discretely tucked away at the bottom where they don't obstruct anything.
I completely agree with you on this. Also, I prefer the camera quality in your videos Don to that of V125 - I'm finding Video 125's camera quality has become somewhat rather odd over the last few years, less sharp / odd colouring and some very odd photoshopping (Devon Branches!).

Speaking of, I spent most of my Saturday night ignoring the European Nil Point TV contest and spent it watching your Manchester Metrolink cab ride. It's nice to finally see some of the Tram Lines covered at last (is this a UK first?) and found it to be another very informative and interesting video - well done to you and Rob for that! I never had the pleasure of traveling along the Oldham Loop line before it's conversion so I spent a few minutes afterwards looking at a lot of the infrastructure on Flickr to see how much it's changed.

Don Coffey

Thanks Peter.
I’ve considered voiceovers but apart from me sounding like a bad Fred Dibnah impersonator, I know a lot like to listen to the in cab sounds. The videos have evolved from no captions to showing key locations (it’s surprising that watchers from around the world like to follow them on a map) then most of the rest is what I’d be yakking about if I had you riding with me. It’s the stuff I find interesting. I spend hours researching the routes I don’t sign and they are a learning curve for me.

Don Coffey

I completely agree with you on this. Also, I prefer the camera quality in your videos Don to that of V125 - I'm finding Video 125's camera quality has become somewhat rather odd over the last few years, less sharp / odd colouring and some very odd photoshopping (Devon Branches!).

Speaking of, I spent most of my Saturday night ignoring the European Nil Point TV contest and spent it watching your Manchester Metrolink cab ride. It's nice to finally see some of the Tram Lines covered at last (is this a UK first?) and found it to be another very informative and interesting video - well done to you and Rob for that! I never had the pleasure of traveling along the Oldham Loop line before it's conversion so I spent a few minutes afterwards looking at a lot of the infrastructure on Flickr to see how much it's changed.
It’s funny you should say that but I’ve seen lots of footage from the side windows of trams but nothing so far from the front of a U.K. tram. We can thank Metrolink for that as they (one of the Driver Team Managers called Darren Cawthorne) contacted me.
Getting good quality footage is a challenge. To get the right perspective you need to avoid very wide angle lenses so finding a camera that has something of a zoom lens and that won’t crash or overheat has been very frustrating and very expensive. Most digital cameras will only record for 30 minutes to avoid the heat trashing the camera. I tried all sorts at first. Camcorders wouldn’t stay focused and dashcams are far too wide. The very first full length one I made was Lime St to Huddersfield and that was on a dashcam! GoPros we’re better but I lost so many runs due to overheating. You’ll notice there is only either outbound or inbound Buxton, Holyhead, Blackpool and Stoke and all crashed right near the end. The next problem was finding fast enough memory cards. They exist but they are the most expensive and it took a lot of trial and error (read that as money) to get there. Video 125 use broadcast standard cameras but I can’t justify that and I can’t carry all that clobber about. The weather and insects and pigeons are other minefields. I’m currently running two GoPro 8s and one brand new 9 which is out with Freightliner - you’ll see the results in forthcoming videos.

samulih

Thanks Don for the videos and especially those annotations on bottom of the video, makes better videos than just moving picture.