• Dear Guest, and welcome to RailUK Forums. Our non-railway discussion forums are currently restricted until members have five or more posts, and you will not be able to make a new thread or reply to an existing one in this section until you have made five or more posts elsewhere on the forum.

Donald Trump and the aftermath of his presidency

birchesgreen

Stuffing the court with his appointees hasn't worked for Trump then. I'm relieved to see that even the judges he appointed see their duty to the constitution as above any loyalty to the ex president.
I think that is something he never understood, he was banking on the SC helping him out with his election mischief. I guess he could not conceive of people he put in place not putting him above all.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
I think that is something he never understood, he was banking on the SC helping him out with his election mischief. I guess he could not conceive of people he put in place not putting him above all.
It ties into his demonstrated one-dimensional, transactional way of thinking. He did something for them, so they obviously were going to do something for him.

It's exactly the same kind of thinking that got him impeached the first time.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It ties into his demonstrated one-dimensional, transactional way of thinking. He did something for them, so they obviously were going to do something for him.

Exactly, I think it also demonstrates a failure to understand just what he was doing when he elevated them to the Supreme Court. It's a lifetime appointment (only death, resignation or by impeachment and conviction in Congress can remove them) so your appointee has no ability to threaten you with removal if you don't vote along the lines they want plus it's the pinnacle of a legal career. If you're a judge in the US there is nowhere else to go once you're on the Supreme Court. If you're the judge, with a bit of ambition, at any other level of the US legal system there is another rung on the ladder for you to strive for. Once your on the Supreme Court, that's it you're at the top. The only way left is down into retirement. So do you trash your reputation and legacy by making a decision that's favourable to the person who put you there (and has no more leverage over you)? Or do you stick to your view of the law and the constitution? I know which I'd pick in that situation...

So he struggled not only to understand that all people aren't as one-dimensional and transactional as he is and failed to appreciate that by elevating them he was also removing any influence he could possibly exert on them as well as any reason for them to bend to his will.

najaB

Veteran Member
So he struggled not only to understand that all people aren't as one-dimensional and transactional as he is and failed to appreciate that by elevating them he was also removing any influence he could possibly exert on them as well as any reason for them to bend to his will.
It also explains his relative failure as a hard-nosed New York businessman - he understands the mechanics of putting the squeeze on people and grifting, and is reasonably good at it when dealing with small fry (e.g. not paying contractors the full amount they're due), but is completely out-classed by the big guys who know what they're doing.

Hence why Putin is able to play him like a fiddle and make Trump think that he's picking the tunes.

DelW

Established Member
One of the problems for people like Trump is that they assume that others behave as badly as they themselves do. So because Trump routinely lies about things - even trivial, pointless things where it's obvious to everyone that he's lying - he assumes that everyone else does it as well.

In this case, because he's corrupt and entirely self-interested, he assumed the judges he appointed would be as well. Fortunately it seems that although some of them have some pretty far-out views, in this case at least they're taking their judicial obligations seriously, as indeed they did in refusing to countenance Trump's blatant attempt to misuse the law and the courts to overturn the election result.

najaB

Veteran Member
One of the problems for people like Trump is that they assume that others behave as badly as they themselves do. So because Trump routinely lies about things - even trivial, pointless things where it's obvious to everyone that he's lying - he assumes that everyone else does it as well.
I think it goes deeper than that. DJT has repeatedly demonstrated a level of psychopathy than leads to the conclusion that he's not assuming that others act like he does but is simply incapable of understanding that others could act in any other way.

Peter Sarf

Established Member

In this case, because he's corrupt and entirely self-interested, he assumed the judges he appointed would be as well. Fortunately it seems that although some of them have some pretty far-out views, in this case at least they're taking their judicial obligations seriously, as indeed they did in refusing to countenance Trump's blatant attempt to misuse the law and the courts to overturn the election result.
The trouble is plenty of people tend not to imagine someone could lie as much as he does. So he gets away with it for long enough to do damage. And I do believe that he believes what he says so that makes it all the more convincing.

I think it goes deeper than that. DJT has repeatedly demonstrated a level of psychopathy than leads to the conclusion that he's not assuming that others act like he does but is simply incapable of understanding that others could act in any other way.
I think you are right about that. That is, of course, assuming he does not think that deeply. I think the way DJTs mind works is that he thinks of many permutations and combinations but loses sight of what is based on the most fact.

Furthermore I very much doubt he has any moral judgement. Environmental issues were simply an unnecessary cost that need not be incurred in his profit driven world.

Last edited: