• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Donald Trump and the aftermath of his presidency

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Lou Dobbs? Sounds like what got the late George Michael in trouble with the LAPD!*

(Yes, I know he was caught by an officer rather than reported or "dobbed in", but why let facts get in the way? Fox News don't!)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Strathclyder

Established Member
The first charges in Special Counsel Robert Mueller's investigation have reportedly been approved by a federal grand jury in Washington D.C.

It is not currently known who these charges have been filed against or for what (due to those charges being sealed under the orders of a federal judge), but this is still a major development in this presidential administration made entirely of chaos & corruption:

I may be going out on a limb here, but I'd wager this is the reason for all the hot air from Fox 'News' & Trump this past week in regards to this 'alternate collusion with Russia' B.S. concerning Hillary (who else?): they sensed this was gonna happen sooner rather than later, hence all the bluster and attempted distractions...

najaB

Veteran Member
Rumours going around that it'll be either Paul Manafort or Jared Kushner getting indicted tomorrow.
I would love that to be true, but I suspect it will be someone a little lower down the food chain - Robert Mueller is smart enough to know how to flush out the big game.

There will be a quite a few latter-day Trumpists who are considering if it's time to make their Heel-Face Turn.

Strathclyder

Established Member
I would love that to be true, but I suspect it will be someone a little lower down the food chain - Robert Mueller is smart enough to know how to flush out the big game.
Quite; I suspect that someone lower down the chain will be the target here. Get one of the lower cards to flip, then it's only a matter of time before the whole pyramid comes crashing to the ground in spectacular fashion. Mueller knows exactly what he's doing here. The next few weeks & months will be very interesting indeed...

Last edited:

Groningen

Established Member
Could Donald Trump fire Robert Mueller and pretent nothing happened?! Hear some stories that hell than breaks lose.

najaB

Veteran Member
Could Donald Trump fire Robert Mueller and pretent nothing happened?! Hear some stories that hell than breaks lose.
He could. Well, he would have to ask Jeff Sessions to fire him. And it would be the Saturday Night Massacre all over again.

Strathclyder

Established Member
It would very likely hasten his undoing than if he just left well enough alone, no doubt about that.

It'd be the 21st Century's answer to what's known as the Saturday Night Massacre of October 20th 1973 that najaB alludes to above, in which Richard Nixon fired independent special prosecutor Archibald Cox after Nixon refused to comply with a subpoena Cox issued for copies of White House tapes to be handed over. Both the Attorney General (Elliot Richardson) & Deputy Attorney General (William Ruckelshaus) refused to fire Cox & resigned in protest. It was the Solicitor General of The United States (Robert Bork) that ended up carrying out Nixon's orders (after being sworn in as Acting Attorney General), leading to widespread outrage; both in Congress & the public, who saw this as a blatant abuse of presidential power. The outrage was such that a 2nd special prosecutor (Leon Jaworski) ended up being appointed, who would eventually gather enough evidence (including the conclusive "smoking gun" tape) to enable impeachment proceedings to begin, leading directly to Nixon's resignation and Gerald Ford's elevation from Vice President to President.

That's not to say that the same series of events would transpire if Trump fired Mueller through Sessions, Rosenstein or Francisco, but it would be a catastrophically stupid move & it would only hasten the demise of his presidency. Taking his actions of the last couple months into account, I ain't betting on him holding off on undertaking such a blockheaded move...

Last edited:

nlogax

Established Member
So...round one and it's Paul Manafort and one of his old business partners, Rick Gates.

I can't see this opening salvo from Mueller really doing much damage to Agent Orange's tenure. Trump will just scapegoat Manafort and ignore everything else that's happening. He's recently turned the volume back up on his old '..but her emails' schtick but it almost felt like a kneejerk reaction. It's all he has.

The real test of Trump's nerve will come deeper into the investigation when more facts come to the surface and more senior types are implicated. Now that will be worth watching..with popcorn and everything.

najaB

Veteran Member
So...round one and it's Paul Manafort and one of his old business partners, Rick Gates.
So, it's someone close enough to Trump to really rattle him (his campaign manager) but for tax-related charges rather than collusion. Basically Mueller's opening salvo has landed a shell either side of Trump - don't forget that he's refused to release his tax returns, there must be a reason. This could get very interesting indeed!

Last edited:

Strathclyder

Established Member
Meanwhile, Trump's totally unnecessary & morally reprehensible transgender military ban has been temporally struck down by a federal district judge:
A US federal judge has temporarily blocked Donald Trump's attempt to bar transgender people from the military.

District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly overruled a presidential memo issued by Mr Trump, which sought to reverse an Obama administration policy change.

Ms Kollar-Kotelly's injunction returns the US military to the status quo - allowing transgender personnel to serve openly and new recruits to join up.

The case was filed against in August by a group of unnamed plaintiffs.

The judge agreed with the plaintiffs' assertion that the president's directives were "not genuinely based on legitimate concerns regarding military effectiveness or budget constraints, but are instead driven by a desire to express disapproval of transgender people generally".

She went on to say that the president's reasons for seeking to ban transgender personnel in July "do not appear to be supported by any facts" and had been rejected by the military.

Judge Kollar-Kotelly ruled against a second injunction sought by the plaintiffs, over a Trump directive prohibiting the use of military resources to fund sex reassignment surgical procedures.

She said the court did not have jurisdiction to grant the injunction because no plaintiff demonstrated that they would be substantially affected by the prohibition.

A June 2016 policy change by the Obama administration allowed transgender military personnel to serve openly and set a one-year deadline for the military to begin allowing new recruits.

In July 2017 the military delayed the accession part of the policy by six months, saying it needed more time to prepare.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41808561

Groningen

Established Member
One less dirty mouth on Twitter. Roger Stone has been thrown off Twitter.

DNSRVkHWsAANkY3.jpg

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Meanwhile, Trump's totally unnecessary & morally reprehensible transgender military ban has been temporally struck down by a federal district judge:

Lets be honest, does anyone think Trump really cared about this at all, like so many of the things he has done, he was just pandering to the Redneck crowd, trying to keep them on his side and throwing them an easy bone "If you love the Army and hate all those confusing people who dress differently, then you'll love this..."

Even things like the immigration ban, I think are just him trying to keep his fanbase onside, so they will be loyal to him when the end comes.... which might not be long now

Didn't see this coming;

https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/925003277602869248

"BREAKING: Former Trump campaign advisor George Papadopolous has pleaded guilty to making false statements to FBI agents"

But he was charged back in July and made his plea on the 5th of October, but this was suppressed because he was a "Proactive cooperator", which probably means just one thing - he was wearing a wire and talking to people in the Trump administration to gather evidence. The fact it has now been released, means they presumably have the information they need....

More details: https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/925115577190010880

Groningen

Established Member
Boris Johnson is praising Donald Trump in an interview this morning with Fox News.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Great Global Brand?

Almost everything attached to the Trump name has failed. Just today, his golf course in Scotland has in five years employed just 150 people compared to the 6000 promised, has failed to build most of the advertised buildings and has damaged thousand year old sand dune formations: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-41845278

His name was already tarnished, when he eventually gets his comeuppance as President, it will be mud.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Trump met Putin today. I imagine the conversation went something like this.

Trump: Vladimir, I have to chide you if you were instrumental in securing my election to the greatest office in the world.
Putin: Donald, many congratulations on your election, It was much as I wanted and predicted, but please be assured I had no hand in it whatever. The billions of roubles we spent on monitoring the situation were for our internal use only and helped to provide employment for many of our citizens. Incidentally, did you know how many doubles you have, and how interested they all were in what some might call sexual perversity but we have played over all the tapes with old episodes of 'Taggart' so you need have no worry that you could ever be wrongly accused of anything? As a matter of fact, I am insulted that anyone should think I helped secure your election. By the way, the greatest office in the world is my own, as you will discover shortly, and there is no vacancy, now or in the future.
Trump: Well, Vladimir, that is very reassuring and should shut Crooked Hillary up. By the way, my son-in-law sends his regards and says Hasta La Vista. I don't know what that means, I refuse to speak Mexican.

najaB

Veteran Member
Words fail...

President Trump tweets about wrong mass shooting after california rampage
President Donald Trump tweeted about the wrong mass shooting late Tuesday after a gunman launched a gun rampage in California and killed at least four people before trying to enter an elementary school.

On Tuesday evening, Trump tweeted: “May God be with the people of Sutherland Springs, Texas. The FBI and Law Enforcement has arrived.”

Sutherland Springs is a village in Texas where ten days earlier a gunman had killed 26 people at a church. He had tweeted a similar message after the November 5 attack.

“May God be w/ the people of Sutherland Springs, Texas. The FBI & law enforcement are on the scene. I am monitoring the situation from Japan,” he wrote at the time.

Social media users accused him of copying and pasting the message and using it as a template after mass shootings, but it remains unclear what was behind the president’s social media mistake. The tweet remains online and Trump is yet to correct or clarify the mistake.

Groningen

Established Member
We had Hungerford in England, Dumblane in Scotland, Alphen aan den Rijn in the Netherlands and some (at least 1) in Germany. But in the USA often it is no news at all. For an Europian it almost becomes normal in the USA.

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
Can we bomb America off the face of the planet yet?

BBC
US to lift ban on elephant hunting trophy imports

The Trump administration will allow American hunters to import elephant trophies to the US, reversing an Obama-era 2014 ban, US media report.

A federal government agency said imports could resume on Friday for elephants that are legally hunted only in Zambia and Zimbabwe.

The US Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) said hunting fees could aid conservation of the endangered animals.

Experts say that populations of African elephants are plummeting.

Their numbers dropped by about 30% from 2007-14, according to the 2016 Great Elephant Census.

The nonprofit group's report found a population drop of 6% in Zimbabwe alone.

Despite their listing under the Endangered Species Act, there is a provision in US law that allows permits to import animal parts if there is sufficient evidence that the fees generated will actually benefit species conservation.

USFWS told US media outlets it had received new information from officials in Zimbabwe and Zambia that supported reversing the ban.

There is currently an apparent military coup taking place in Zimbabwe.

USFWS argued that rather than depleting the elephant population, killing the animals "will enhance the survival of the species in the wild".

The agency's statement said: "Legal, well-regulated sport hunting as part of a sound management program can benefit the conservation of certain species by providing incentives to local communities to conserve the species and by putting much-needed revenue back into conservation."

Officials had announced the forthcoming policy change during a forum hosted this week by the pro-hunting Safari Club International Foundation, which partnered with the National Firearm Association to lobby for the rule change.

Every year since 2010, elephant populations in Africa have dropped by 7% on average - more than 30,000 deaths per year.

Elephant advocacy groups reacted angrily to the news.

This ****ing guy, he's only done this because Obama introduced the ban in the first place.

Interesting that Laura Ingraham, one of Trump's biggest supporters in the media has loudly criticised him for this decision.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It would’ve been good to see him take it on without the gun...