• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Donald Trump and the aftermath of his presidency

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
Seems like he's been shamed into doing the right thing (or at least not doing the wrong thing):
Trump puts elephant trophy imports on hold
President Donald Trump has suspended the import of elephant hunting trophies, only a day after a ban was relaxed by his administration.

Imports of trophies from elephants legally hunted in Zambia and Zimbabwe had been set to resume, reversing a 2014 Obama-era ban.

But late on Friday, President Trump tweeted the change was on hold until he could "review all conservation facts".

Groningen

Established Member
See it this way. Shortly before removing Mugabe from office (do not know what the future holds); one military person went to China. And is China not a country with a huge demand for ivory?! The ties between China and Zimbabwe are closer than almost any other country. However; China has banned the trade in ivory according to several media in March 2017 at the end of 2017.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-38470861

Domh245

Established Member
I did not know that Michael Gove was a journalist.

As we all know, Michael Gove can do anything (although yes, he was actually a journalist once upon a time)

Stephen-Collins-17-March--001.jpg

Darandio

Established Member
Why doesn't this seem surprising these days?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42166663

Donald Trump's Twitter account has retweeted three inflammatory videos from a British far-right group.

The first tweet from Jayda Fransen, the deputy leader of Britain First, claims to show a Muslim migrant attacking a man on crutches.

This was followed by two more videos of people Ms Fransen claims to be Muslim.

Britain First was founded in 2011 by former members of the far-right British National Party (BNP).

The group has grabbed attention on social media with controversial posts about what they deem "the Islamification of the UK".

It has put up members to run in general elections on anti-immigration and anti-abortion policies, but has yet to secure any seats.

Ms Fransen has more than 52,000 followers on Twitter.

She responded enthusiastically to Mr Trump sharing her tweets. She posted on her account: "Donald Trump himself has retweeted these videos and has around 44 million followers!"

"God bless you Trump! God bless America!," she added.

The original video was shared by US conservative commentator Ann Coulter who Mr Trump follows.

Groningen

Established Member
That attack on man with crutches was in the Netherlands. Apparently by a Muslim, but (not to speak it good) how many attacks are done by "normal" Dutch citizens?

Domh245

Established Member
That attack on man with crutches was in the Netherlands. Apparently by a Muslim, but (not to speak it good) how many attacks are done by "normal" Dutch citizens?

Apparently, it wasn't a Muslim that was attacking the boy on crutches, but another Dutchman! (You may have to provide a better translation than Google's attempt!)
LOOK DWDD. Trump just leaves the Dumpert logo.

OK fun to laugh. The President of the United States has just released his always itchy twitter finger on a typical Dutch stool film from Monnickendam, the Netherlands. The young man is kicked out by - according to the tweet - a Muslim migrant. At Dumpert the crutch was called cowardly blows . No more video to be found there, because thanks to Dumpert the perpetrator was tracked down and arrested. Moreover, the perpetrator was not a Muslim, let alone a migrant, but simply a Dutchman. BUT HEE, let those facts in particular do not form a barrier for The Donald when he wants to ram a mini-series of muslim-critical retweets as an awakening ritual . Jayda Fransen is also from the neo-racist crusaders ( literally) from Britain First. Just say the CNN of the street marchers. In fact you know again where POTUS gets its mustard.

Groningen

Established Member
Yes; it was not a "normal" Dutch person. But than i had no access to a PC. I wanted to have it corrected, but someone was in fronty of me (Domh245). Apologize to the Muslim community! Now i will sent a tweet Donald Trump, but think he sticks to his selected views.

pemma

Veteran Member
Yes; it was not a "normal" Dutch person. But than i had no access to a PC. I wanted to have it corrected, but someone was in fronty of me (Domh245). Apologize to the Muslim community! Now i will sent a tweet Donald Trump, but think he sticks to his selected views.

Donald Trump said:
@Theresa_May, don’t focus on me, focus on the destructive Radical Islamic Terrorism that is taking place within the United Kingdom. We are doing just fine!

Netherlands Embassy said:
.@realDonaldTrump Facts do matter. The perpetrator of the violent act in this video was born and raised in the Netherlands. He received and completed his sentence under Dutch law.

BBC News said:
The second video retweeted by Mr Trump shows a man smashing a statue of the Virgin Mary.

This video was uploaded to YouTube in 2013. The man in the clip says: "No-one but Allah will be worshipped in the land of the Levant," which could place him in Syria.

The third video originates from the riots that took place in Egypt in 2013, and shows a man being pushed from the top of a building in Alexandria. In 2015, those involved in the the incident were prosecuted, and one man was executed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42176507

najaB

Veteran Member
There was a time, not that long ago, when the US President could be looked to as a moral compass - it might not always have pointed directly north - but you could trust them to do (generally) the right thing.

Less than a year in and it's worse than I imagined it could be (and I expected nuclear war!)

nlogax

Established Member
Now it's the ultimate dilemma. Tweak too much with Agent Orange's wafer thin ego by criticizing his tweets and that'll be all it takes to put the UK right at the back of the queue for the post-Brexit trade deal with the US it so desperately craves. To be honest I'm surprised - and glad - that the PM said as much as she did yesterday. Ideally the whole government should go further and consign his state visit to the bin marked 'dumb ideas that'll never work'..though I guess the Queen will need to somehow get involved for that to happen.

pemma

Veteran Member
There was a time, not that long ago, when the US President could be looked to as a moral compass - it might not always have pointed directly north - but you could trust them to do (generally) the right thing.

Less than a year in and it's worse than I imagined it could be (and I expected nuclear war!)

Don't worry Trump's Twitter account shows that tweet has the support of someone who thinks Obamacare is the reason for his son being gay :roll:

najaB

Veteran Member
Don't worry Trump's Twitter account shows that tweet has the support of someone who thinks Obamacare is the reason for his son being gay :roll:
I feared that by now that we'd all be dead. Now I'm praying for it.

dgl

Established Member
We need to let trump in to Britain to meet the queen ASAP! (well she probably likes a going on a hunt and with hunting foxes being banned, hunt the trump sounds like a good idea).

pemma

Veteran Member
We need to let trump in to Britain to meet the queen ASAP! (well she probably likes a going on a hunt and with hunting foxes being banned, hunt the trump sounds like a good idea).

The Queen is a bit old for getting on a horse now but perhaps she could train soon to be Princess Meghan in how to hunt a Trump, I'm sure she would oblige. ;)

pemma

Veteran Member
"I say Philip, what's that thing on his head? Looks like a fox to me.."

"Did I not make it clear Elizabeth that I have retired from public duty? If you want someone to go with you to meet Donald take that loonie Boris as a translator, they both speak fluent bo******"

Antman

Established Member
Love him or loathe him Trump says it like it is and has no time for political correctness, which is probably what got him elected?

pemma

Veteran Member
^ What got him elected is a flawed Electoral College system working to his benefit. Donald Trump got fewer votes than Clinton. Imagine if we had a system where after the EU referendum nominated persons casted votes and Remain won after Leave got 51.9% of the public votes? That's what happens in America even if you ignore allegations of Russian interference.

EM2

Established Member
Love him or loathe him Trump says it like it is and has no time for political correctness, which is probably what got him elected?
Says it like it is? What does that even mean? Saying it like it is would be dealing in facts and truth, which something that he seems to be completely incapable of doing.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
^ What got him elected is a flawed Electoral College system working to his benefit. Donald Trump got fewer votes than Clinton. Imagine if we had a system where after the EU referendum nominated persons casted votes and Remain won after Leave got 51.9% of the public votes? That's what happens in America even if you ignore allegations of Russian interference.

Eh? We have a system whereby a party which doesn’t even get the largest share of the popular vote can quite easily become the Government.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

No, Trump is a liar and a bully. That’s not “telling it like it is”.

Trump weaponised victimisation. His narrative: He is the victim of the media (er, the media created Trump!). White working and lower middle class people are the victims of the Washington elite. White people are the victims of social justice. He is the victim of dirty tricks.

And so on. This marks the turning point of something that’s been happening for a long time - the transition of Western democracies from a dignity-based society to a victimhood-based society.

Next time you see victimhood being treated as a political or social commodity, reject it.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Personally I find the events of this week incredibly depressing. I think Donald Trump retweeted those videos in order to deflect attention away from the North Korean missile tests without necessarily thinking about where those tweets came from.

Antman

Established Member
Says it like it is? What does that even mean? Saying it like it is would be dealing in facts and truth, which something that he seems to be completely incapable of doing.

Well surely it's obvious? He says what he thinks. Whether you agree with what he says is obviously up to you.

najaB

Veteran Member
Well surely it's obvious? He says what he thinks.
Slight correction: he says whatever idea is in his mind at that moment. Quite often it is simply repeating the last thing he's heard. There is very little thought involved.