• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Donald Trump and the aftermath of his presidency

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cactustwirly

Established Member
He's just lost Alabama to a Democrat

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42333712

Doug Jones has become the first Democrat in 25 years to win a US Senate seat for Alabama, after a bitter campaign against Republican Roy Moore.

His unexpected victory deals a blow to President Donald Trump, who backed Mr Moore, and narrows the Republican majority in the Senate to 51-49.

Mr Moore has so far refused to concede, saying "it's not over".

He fought a controversial campaign, in which allegations surfaced of sexual misconduct with teenage girls.

Mr Moore, a firebrand conservative who has said he believes that homosexual activity should be illegal, has repeatedly denied the claims against him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Groningen

Established Member
Can not wait for his Twitter explosion. That must be at/about 11.30 this morning (GMT). Will he congratulate Doug Jones or just ignore him?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Can not wait for his Twitter explosion. That must be at/about 11.30 this morning (GMT). Will he congratulate Doug Jones or just ignore him?

He will probably allege electoral fraud and claim the result is inaccurate.

To which the response should be that yes, indeed, for surely Jones had a higher share of the vote...

nlogax

Established Member

He already congratulated Jones in a tweet last night. Tbh I wasn't expecting him to be quite so gracious, well, gracious for him anyway

"Congratulations to Doug Jones on a hard fought victory. The write-in votes played a very big factor, but a win is a win. The people of Alabama are great, and the Republicans will have another shot at this seat in a very short period of time. It never ends!"

Groningen

Established Member
According to Dutch media Donald Trump has congratulate Doug Jones, but Roy Moore wants to have a recount, because the difference in votes was small.

TheNewNo2

Congratulations Alabama, 48% of you voted for a paedophile.

I'm honestly surprised it was that low, but when you stop to think it's pretty ****ing pathetic.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Funny. Trump tweeted that he endorsed the other Rep candidate because he knew Moore would lose...

But most of the controversy emerged after he was nominated. So did Trump know about Moore's past?

In which case the allegations can't be a Democrat conspiracy.....

najaB

Veteran Member
Funny. Trump tweeted that he endorsed the other Rep candidate because he knew Moore would lose...

But most of the controversy emerged after he was nominated. So did Trump know about Moore's past?
No. Donald Trump can never be wrong. Simple really.

najaB

Veteran Member
This thread has got me thinking, who was the last great American president?
I suppose that depends on your definition of 'great', and do you mean great for their time or as evaluated through the lens of history?

96tommy

I think Obama will be looked upon favourably. If we exclude Obama, then I'd guess Truman or someone.

I personally wasn't a big Obama fan. Compared to Trump he is great but with things like the handling of Syria (the failure of) will define his time as US president. In my lifetime we've had Bill Clinton, Bush, Obama and Trump. Out of them I would probably choose Bill Clinton as the best but at this stage it is close between Obama and him providing Trump doesn't pull out any surprises over the next few years.

Historically, I guess maybe Lincoln or Washington.

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
I personally wasn't a big Obama fan. Compared to Trump he is great but with things like the handling of Syria (the failure of) will define his time as US president.
Obama's agenda was stymied by a hostile Congress to a greater degree than any president of the modern era.

najaB

Veteran Member
Ronald Reagan has to be in with a shout, surely?
Depends on your point of view. On the plus side he pretty much saw out the end of the Cold War, on the minus side the US national debt as a percentage of GDP had been steadily declining since hitting a peak in 1946 and started to grow under his leadership due to the first round of trickle-down economics (and has never gone back down).

Groningen

Established Member
Tweet from Mike Huckabee:

https://twitter.com/GovMikeHuckabee
Churchill was hated by his own party, opposition party, and press. Feared by King as reckless, and despised for his bluntness. But unlike Neville Chamberlain, he didn't retreat. We had a Chamberlain for 8 yrs; in @realDonaldTrump we have a Churchill.

With Chamberlain he means Barack Obama i think.

Lets face it. This gouvernor produced the current spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders! Mike thought; I can do better!

Last edited by a moderator:

Domh245

Established Member
Apart from the lack of oratory skills and diplomatic behaviour, etc. Maybe he'll be looked on fondly after he's gone - maybe not...

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Apart from the lack of oratory skills and diplomatic behaviour, etc. Maybe he'll be looked on fondly after he's gone - maybe not...
That probably depends on whether someone eventually shoots him.