• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Donald Trump and the aftermath of his presidency

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Indeed. He claimed he had the all-time highest ratings for a State of the Union address. The facts:
  • Trump (2018) - 45.6 million
  • Obama (2010) - 48.1 million
  • Bush (2002) - 51.7 million
  • Clinton (1998) - 53.1 million
  • Bush (2003) - 62.1 million
I don't know what is sadder - the fact that he's out and out lied, or the fact that he felt the need to lie.
Even worse, the US TV ratings agency, Nielsen, actually felt the need to pre-empt such a lie by tweeting the statistics you've included... yet Trump went ahead and lied about it anyway. He seems to have as frosty a relationship with reality as he has with Melania.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
Even worse, the US TV ratings agency, Nielsen, actually felt the need to pre-empt such a lie by tweeting the statistics you've included... yet Trump went ahead and lied about it anyway. He seems to have as frosty a relationship with reality as he has with Melania.
I really wish a reporter would ask "Does the President think that 48 is more than 62?" and not let it go.

fowler9

Established Member
People will believe any old rubbish then believe it even more when he tells them it is fake news.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
He seems to have this pathological urge to be better than anyone and everyone - or at least Obama - even if that pesky little thing called reality gets in the way.

najaB

Veteran Member
He seems to have this pathological urge to be better than anyone and everyone...
Comparatives don't appear to be part of his vocabulary. Everything is a superlative, everything is "the biggest", "the best", "greatest", "most fantastic", etc.

Groningen

Established Member
It seems that in the middle of the USA there is only Foxnews for information. A person that claps at hios own State of the Union. Say America 80 times and it seems that they clapped a total of 113 times. Anything new on how they are going to pay for the improved of roads and railways?

najaB

Veteran Member
Anything new on how they are going to pay for the improved of roads and railways?
The plan is to fund the $1000B infrastructure project with $20B a year over 10 years. Yet another sign that maths isn't Trump's strongest suit.

Groningen

Established Member
And he wants to let the private sector put up the bill; not tax money. With roads (Interstate) you can install toll, but with railways?! Higher fares is maybe the only option.

najaB

Veteran Member
With roads (Interstate) you can install toll, but with railways?! Higher fares is maybe the only option.
Most passenger railway services are provided by Amtrack, which is government operated and not set up to even pay its own costs, never mind make money to invest.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Most passenger railway services are provided by Amtrack, which is government operated and not set up to even pay its own costs, never mind make money to invest.

Indeed. Amtrak is already horribly expensive and only attractive in many cases as a novelty experience for a tourist like me.

Domh245

Established Member
Donald has stuck his oar in once again, but seems to have misunderstood the basic principle behind something (shock horror)

The Democrats are pushing for Universal HealthCare while thousands of people are marching in the UK because their U system is going broke and not working. Dems want to greatly raise taxes for really bad and non-personal medical care. No thanks!

Groningen

Established Member
For me i looks like Nigel Farage and Piers Morgan have more influence on decision making (policy) than Theresa May and Boris Johnson. Is Boris on holiday?

BlythPower

They could rename a square in DC for the parade, call it Red, White & Blue Square.

I'm sure Trump and his supporters would be happy if they just called it White Square.

Who's that other feller with funny hair who likes big military parades..? They do say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...

najaB

Veteran Member
So, just when it seemed he could go no lower, he manages it - he made the Florida school shooting all about himself tweeting that the FBI missed the shooter because they were too busy investigating the 'Russia hoax'.

For the record the FBI has over 35,000 employees, at most 100 or so of whom are involved in investigating collusion between his campaign and the Russians.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
So, just when it seemed he could go no lower, he manages it - he made the Florida school shooting all about himself tweeting that the FBI missed the shooter because they were too busy investigating the 'Russia hoax'.

For the record the FBI has over 35,000 employees, at most 100 or so of whom are involved in investigating collusion between his campaign and the Russians.
Are we surprised? Nope.
I think that the student (Sarah Chadwick) summed him and his attitude up in the best possible way this week... Interesting to see that he’s slightly changed his outlook on gun laws in the last couple of days.
We’ll see if anything actually changes or if this is all forgotten about in two weeks time though I suppose.
Is anyone still talking about the last but three massacre that happened over there a couple of months ago? No I’ve lost track too...

Jonny

Established Member
Meanwhile, Raheem Kassam has suggested that Donald Trump's supposed comments on Africa are applicable to London under Sadiq Khan.

(beware strong scatological language).