• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Donald Trump and the aftermath of his presidency

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
They can and should have been allowed to call any witnesses who had relevant information to the charges being investigated.
I don't believe he was there for the call itself, but he was Trump's national security advisor so he was definitely there for events leading up to and after the call.
Who decides who is relevant? The Senate, the democraps the Republicans? Bidens are central to the whole Ukraine they should have even called if Bolton was. The whistle blower was obviously a necessary witness too.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
Bidens are central to the whole Ukraine they should have even called if Bolton was. The whistle blower was obviously a necessary witness too.
Explain, exactly, how the Bidens were central to Trump witholding aid to an ally, and to obstructing Congress? What evidence could they have given on what happened in the Whitehouse between June and August?

Also, since the partial transcript released by the Whitehouse confirmed the whistleblower's account of events, what additional evidence did you expect them to be able to provide?

Bantamzen

Established Member
I think the Democrats should have traded Biden's testimony for Bolton's, it would have been fun watching the Republicans doing even more back-flips trying to get old Donald "Guilty As Hell And Even They Admit It" Trump off the hook. And do you know what, I wouldn't be surprised if the Bidens were knee deep it in.

However none of that should detract from the fact that it was Trump that tried to lean on the Ukraine for his own political gain. To coin a phrase from Blackadder Goes Forth, he's a guilty as a puppy sat next to a big pile of poo. If the Bidens were up to dodgy stuff they should be investigated, Trump was & still is up to dodgy stuff, so he should be given the helicopter ride out of there & investigated.

DaleCooper

Established Member
Who decides who is relevant? The Senate, the democraps the Republicans? Bidens are central to the whole Ukraine they should have even called if Bolton was. The whistle blower was obviously a necessary witness too.
I'm afraid your last few posts have destroyed any credibility you may have had. Your much vaunted education (see it keeps coming back) doesn't seem to have endowed you with any critical thinking skills or morals. I was particularly shocked when you admitted that you wouldn't vote against a murderer.
No. I would have wasted my vote because I could not have voted for Clinton either.

Esker-pades

Established Member
Next you will be telling me the whistle blower was present and heard clear all sides of the conversation too but no no no the president wasn’t allowed or his lawyers to question in the senate that person for some reason but this was all extremely fair. Give me a break. Either you want it fair or you don’t.
The senate declined to allow witnesses or evidence to be admitted to the trial. The same people who voted against admitting witnesses voted against impeaching the president.

A Challenge

Established Member
The senate declined to allow witnesses or evidence to be admitted to the trial. The same people who voted against admitting witnesses voted against impeaching the president.
Could someone explain to me why the Senate did a vote on calling witnesses, I wasn't aware that the jury voted on if they wanted witnesses in a court?

DaleCooper

Established Member
Could someone explain to me why the Senate did a vote on calling witnesses, I wasn't aware that the jury voted on if they wanted witnesses in a court?
It appears that is just the way the system works. Incidentally Trump has fired two people who testified against him, Lt. Col Alexander Vindman and Ambassador to the EU Gordon Sondland.

DaleCooper

Established Member
Ok to everyone. I have no credibility according to you and that is OK. Trump has no credibility with you all either but he is POTUS. Democracy sure is a beeeatcchhh ain’t it?

In Trump's case POTUS = product of the urinary system.

On the triumph of evil btw and good people doing nothing - who are you classing as good - Pelosi -Schumer- Schiff?

Actually I wanted to class you as good but perhaps you don't welcome that accolade.

DaleCooper

Established Member
Why because I would note vote for Trump or Clinton?

like Brexit or remain I would have wasted my vote spoiled the ballot paper
It appears the subtleties of my comments are lost on you. Did your education (Whoops! There it is again) not include English comprehension.

najaB

Veteran Member
I think the Democrats should have traded Biden's testimony for Bolton's, it would have been fun watching the Republicans doing even more back-flips trying to get old Donald "Guilty As Hell And Even They Admit It" Trump off the hook
In order to trade witnesses, the Republicans would have had to have voted to allow witnesses. But they did not - which says to me that they were more scared of testimony that would hurt the President than would help him.
And do you know what, I wouldn't be surprised if the Bidens were knee deep it in.
Neither would I. But not of the specific claims that have been thrown at them. Joe Biden put pressure on the Ukrainian government to remove a prosecutor who wasn't investigating corruption and replace him with one who would.
However none of that should detract from the fact that it was Trump that tried to lean on the Ukraine for his own political gain.
Indeed. Whatever the Bidens were up to is separate and distinct from what Trump et. al. were up to.

najaB

Veteran Member
Because while it was framed as a trial, it wasn't one. Not in the normal legal sense anyway. Think of it more as a sentencing hearing - where the panel can choose if they want to hear mitigating evidence before imposing a sentence.

najaB

Veteran Member
Ok to everyone. I have no credibility according to you and that is OK.
I disagree with your position, but I don't think that you lack credibility. It is your position, and you are entitled to hold it. As I noted some posts back, I respect the fact that you are self-aware enough to realise that it is an irrational position to hold.

najaB

Veteran Member
Incidentally Trump has fired two people who testified against him, Lt. Col Alexander Vindman and Ambassador to the EU Gordon Sondland.
It's not going to end there. Expect a purge. Lt. Col. Vindman's bother was also fired.

najaB

Veteran Member
Looks like there was a thread tidy...

@GRALISTAIR, for the record - while I disagree violently with your political views I respect your right to hold them. I also respect the fact that you're self-aware enough to realise that they aren't rooted in rationality.

Wivenswold

Established Member
I wouldn't fall for the "Trump's a rich bloke" spin. He's certainly doing well out of his time as President but much of that will be paying off loans and debts elsewhere in his businesses. Don't forget, this is a business man who was given $600m by his billionaire Dad and lost the lot. If he was such a good business risk banks would be falling over themselves to facilitate him but there's only one German bank that loans him money, the same one that is under Federal and international investigation for money laundering Russian money, some of which links to the Trump Organisation.

I understand that the New York Times is investigating Trump's obsession with "Hydroxy" and has found a number of conflicts of interest that it will no doubt publish shortly.

For those still in love with Trump, have a little wonder why he would spend millions in legal costs to prevent his school and college qualifications, his tax returns, business accounts and assets from being published when he spends so much time telling us how rich and successful he's been. Why is that?

I recommend several books on the subject. Dancing with the Devil, Everything Trump Touches Dies, A Very Stable Genius, The Cult of Trump, The Dangerous Case of Trump, House of Trump/House of Putin, A Year At The Circus, Fire & Fury and Toddler In Chief as essential reading.

Having finished them I can confidently predict that my above comments will be the tip of the iceberg once he's out of office.

dgl

Established Member
I wouldn't fall for the "Trump's a rich bloke" spin. He's certainly doing well out of his time as President but much of that will be paying off loans and debts elsewhere in his businesses. Don't forget, this is a business man who was given $600m by his billionaire Dad and lost the lot. If he was such a good business risk banks would be falling over themselves to facilitate him but there's only one German bank that loans him money, the same one that is under Federal and international investigation for money laundering Russian money, some of which links to the Trump Organisation.

For those still in love with Trump, have a little wonder why he would spend millions in legal costs to prevent his school and college qualifications, his tax returns, business accounts and assets from being published when he spends so much time telling us how rich and successful he's been. Why is that?

I recommend several books on the subject. Dancing with the Devil, Everything Trump Touches Dies, A Very Stable Genius, The Cult of Trump, The Dangerous Case of Trump, House of Trump/House of Putin, A Year At The Circus, Fire & Fury and Toddler In Chief as essential reading.

Having finished them I can confidently predict that my above comments will be the tip of the iceberg once he's out of office.
OT
Though, of course, he can't hide the finances of his Scottish golf course from us, and financially it don't look so rosy. Yes he doesn't technically run it anymore but the rot didn't start when his son took over!
https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/SC292100
Everything's great, everyone loves us, we're only loosing about £800,000 a year!

hwl

Established Member
OT
Though, of course, he can't hide the finances of his Scottish golf course from us, and financially it don't look so rosy. Yes he doesn't technically run it anymore but the rot didn't start when his son took over!
https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/SC292100
Everything's great, everyone loves us, we're only loosing about £800,000 a year!
An estimate this week in the states is that the Trump Organisation has lost ~$1bn in revenue globally since the start of the crisis!