• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Doncaster-New Mills and Cheshire Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnychips

Established Member
Hi

Tomorrow I want to get a Cheshire Explorer Day Ranger. I thought I could get a day return from Donny to New Mills, then buy the explorer on the train.

Day return Donny-New Mills £16.40. Is this any cheaper by splitting?

Thanks

John

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Day return Donny-New Mills £16.40. Is this any cheaper by splitting?
Possibly.

"Splitting" the journey into a combination of tickets may work.

The easiest way to identify places to "split" is to either use opentraintimes.com to find the calling points or use a WebTIS website (e.g. EC, LM etc) and click the info (i) button next to the itinerary you want, then tick 'show all calling points', this shows the places where you could "split" the journey into a combination of tickets (note the train must call on the return journey too). Examples here include all the stations on Northern stopping trains between Doncaster & Sheffield (if you are happy to restrict yourself to those trains and avoid XC/TPE) and all the stations on the Northern stoppers between Sheffield & New Mills.

Also the £16.40 ticket you quote for a Doncaster-New Mills Ctl Anytime Day Return is poor value at £16.40. As you are travelling off-peak (a Saturday) then a Doncaster-Stockport Off Peak Day Return at £15.90 is not only 50p cheaper but also allows you to take a direct TPE service if you wish.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I could get a day return from Donny to New Mills, then buy the explorer on the train.
Bear in mind that, if the ticket office is open, if you choose not to purchase a ticket/combination of tickets for your whole journey then you may be denied the opportunity to purchase a Ranger on board, as this is a leisure product, not a full-fare product.

Last edited:

johnnychips

Established Member
Thanks.

That ticket to Stockport is a much better deal, and offers loads more flexibility.

Greatly appreciated, I just assumed it'd be about £25!

John

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There is another ticket that costs a few pence less that several members of this forum find extremely useful as it is permitted via various routes that are possibly not intended by the people who set the price, therefore I will send you a PM with information about that ticket (it's one that often gets mentioned at forum meets and at fares workshops! ;)) as several people would be annoyed if the price got massively increased!

Status
Not open for further replies.