• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Doncaster - Penrith and then Penrith - Wolverton - Lewes

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesTT

A friend is going from Doncaster to Penrith.

Then to Lewes a few days later stopping in Wolverton for a couple of hours.

Is the best option an Off Peak Return from Lewes to Penrith? It looks as though via Doncaster is a valid route from Lewes to Penrith and via Wolverton is valid from Penrith to Lewes.

thanks for any assistance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
No-one has picked this one up so I'll try, but am no expert.

The suggestion would be OK provided the ticket allows break of journey (and therefore starting short) on the outward portion.

My first reading of the restriction on www.brfares.com was that this particular ticket disallows it, but there is a reference to a different restriction applying for journeys out of Kings Cross. Not sure what this means though - perhaps someone else knows.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I have amended the thread title so it makes sense.

The question is whether or not a Lewes - Penrith Off Peak Return (SVR) is valid for starting short at Doncaster.

Rightly or wrongly, the rail industry lumps starting short along with a 'break of journey', so if a break of journey is not permitted the view of the rail industry is that starting short isn't either.

The NRCoC makes it clear that break of journey is permitted unless it is "made clear" to you when you buy the ticket that it is not.

The validity of a Lewes - Penrith SVR is principally 'Restriction Code: 5F' however this does state it is NOT applicable to journeys from King's Cross, for which "Code 9F applies for journeys from (or) via Kings Cross & Stevenage"

Restriction Code 9F does not bar break of journey, therefore I conclude that a break of journey is permitted at Doncaster.

JamesTT

Yorkie, thank you for the benefit of your wisdom. So just to clarify a SVR return from Lws to Penrith would be valid to start from Doncaster.

Veteran Member
Yorkie has come up with the goods.

And yes, if the ticket is valid via this route then it is fine to start short at Doncaster, provided you comply with code 9F, which says you may restart any time after 0930 (SX) from stations North of Stevenage.

Status
Not open for further replies.