• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Doncaster/Sheffield to Watford Jn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Around £80 for a Super Off Peak Return to Watford Junction from Doncaster (with no railcards).

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yep, the cheapest walk-on fare from Doncaster to Watford Jn is £82.20 for the 'SSR' (Super Off Peak Return), routed Any Permitted.

From Sheffield, the fare reduces to £61.40 for the 'SVR' (Off Peak Return), but only if you take a permitted route that avoids London. The cheapest fare from Sheffield to Watford via London is £71.80 for the 'SSR' (Super Off Peak Return), providing you go via Chesterfield.

John @ home

Established Member
Standard Advance singles Doncaster - Watford Jn via London are priced £26.50, £33.50, £41, £57.50, £81.50 and £94.50. For each available train, the cheaper prices are sold first. These tickets can be bought online with a 11% discount from East Coast. It's often cheaper to buy tickets to/from London and travel Kings Cross - Watford Jn using Oyster.

Standard Advance singles Sheffield - Watford Jn via Kings Cross are the same price as from Doncaster. Sheffield - Watford Jn via St Pancras has 15 different prices from £18 to £48. These tickets can be bought online with a £1 discount from East Midlands Trains.

The prices in this and earlier posts assume you are not eligible for any national Railcard.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Try XC Doncaster to Birmingham and LM to Watford from there (out of curiousity) - KX to Watford (Met) by tube is not reccomended on time grounds (45+Mins)

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Try XC Doncaster to Birmingham and LM to Watford from there (out of curiousity) - KX to Watford (Met) by tube is not reccomended on time grounds (45+Mins)

I don't think anyone was recommending Kings Cross to Watford (Met). Rather it would be either walk or tube to Euston then LM to Watford Junction.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm not sure where Watford (Met) has come from! The OP did say "Watford" in the title - I will now correct this to Watford Jn to avoid confusion, however the detail did make it clear that the journey is to Watford Jn and the advise has been given accordingly.

I would agree that King's Cross to Watford (Met) would take over 45 minutes, and would certainly not be recommended to get to the centre of Watford, I assume the OP is going somewhere near Watford Jn anyway as that station was identified, but if going to a suburb near the Met station, then the advice would be different.

The Oyster PAYG fares on this route are a bit odd, as customers are penalised for some journeys if going from King's Cross, rather than walking to Euston, but not always. If walking to Euston, there is no morning peak from Euston to Watford High St/Jn.

King's Cross - Harrow & Wealdstone £4.10 M-F 0630-0930 & 1600-1900. £2.70 other times
Euston - Harrow & Wealdstone £3.80 M-F 1600-1900 £2.70 other times

Harrow & Wealdstone - Watford High Street £2.50 M-F 1600-1900 £1.40 other times
Harrow & Wealdstone - Watford Jn £2.50 M-F 1600-1900 £1.40 other times

(It can be cheaper to "split" at [stn]HRW[/stn], however I am unsure how this could actually be achieved, I know there are readers on the footbridge but if they are continuation exit, then I am unsure how you'd split it into 2 journeys)

King's Cross - Watford High St £6.00 M-F 0630-0930 & 1600-1900. £3.50 other times
King's Cross - Watford Jn £7.70 M-F 0630-0930 & 1600-1900. £5.00 other times

Euston - Watford High St £5.50 M-F 1600-1900. £3.50 other times
Euston - Watford Jn £6.90 M-F 1600-1900. £4.10 other times

And for comparison:

King's Cross or Euston - Watford (Met) £5.00 M-F 0630-0930 & 1600-1900. £3.50 other times.

Oyster pricing is incredibly complex, but the good thing about Oyster is that you don't have to figure out the price and buy the "correct" ticket, it works it out for you. The bad thing is, it may charge more than you think if you have not done your research to find out what a journey will cost.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The Oyster PAYG fares on this route are a bit odd, as customers are penalised for some journeys if going from King's Cross, rather than walking to Euston, but not always. If walking to Euston, there is no morning peak from Euston to Watford High St/Jn.
Ah, the LM anomaly (AIUI). Note that it only applies from Euston NR. Both peaks apply from Euston LU (not that you'd easily make the journey from Euston LU).
(It can be cheaper to "split" at [stn]HRW[/stn], however I am unsure how this could actually be achieved, I know there are readers on the footbridge but if they are continuation exit, then I am unsure how you'd split it into 2 journeys)

The validators ARE continuation exit at Harrow & Wealdstone. To split a journey in two you would need to go out of either gateline and re-enter.

richardderby

£43.60 super off peak return, split at burton on trent, and london midland plus connection ticket from burton.
sheffield to burton... £22.60 off peak return
+Burton to London Euston (valid at Watford Junction) £21 super off peak return.
train would need to call at burton on trent though, valid via tamworth or Birmingham on LM.

Status
Not open for further replies.