• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Doncaster to Oxford: Monday 19th March

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malton Seadog

Hi all,

At short notice, I need to go to Oxford on Monday - to arrive before 1pm and to leave after 4:30pm.

I have a railcard (16-25), but I also have a Conisbrough to York season ticket, and live in Conisbrough - so this may be a cheaper option.

A full price ticket on the day will be £51.50 return.

The cheapest I've found so far:

Conisbrough to Sheffield (day return): £3.45
Sheffield to Derby (off peak return): £6.75
Derby (10:53-12:40/17:07-19:05 as two singles): £30.40

Total: £40.60

Anyone beat that?

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Derby (10:53-12:40/17:07-19:05 as two singles): £30.40

Derby - Oxford Off-Peak Return is only £34 so I won't bother with APs personally.

Edit:

As you have a season ticket, you don't need the train to stop at the changeover point. Derby - Mexborough Off-Peak Day Return is also £6.75 so you only need a ticket between Conisbrough - Mexborough to bridge the gap (Off-Peak Day Return £1.65).

Derby - Birmingham Stations Off-Peak Return £10.30
Birmingham Stations - Banbury Off-Peak Return £11.50
Banbury - Oxford Off-Peak Day Return £3.70

None of these have evening restrictions.

Splitting at Coventry instead of Birmingham Station is even cheaper, but you're then restricted to the hourly Bournemouth train, not the non-stop train between New Street and Leamington Spa.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
...so you only need a ticket between Conisbrough - Mexborough ...
Conisbrough-York is valid via Mexborough, Swinton, Moorthorpe, Pontefract, Sherburn, Church Fenton under the shortest route rule (and if the Season was to Cattal or Poppleton it would also be valid via the Harrogate Loop and via Leeds, but the OP already knows that so I guess he doesn't feel any need to go via those places).

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Conisbrough-York is valid via Mexborough, Swinton, Moorthorpe, Pontefract, Sherburn, Church Fenton under the shortest route rule (and if the Season was to Cattal or Poppleton it would also be valid via the Harrogate Loop and via Leeds, but the OP already knows that so I guess he doesn't feel any need to go via those places).

Yes, I forgot. In that case the OP only needs the Mexborough - Derby ticket with no need to bridge any gap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.