• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Doncaster to Scarborough via Bempton Routeing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricoblade

Hi All,

I'm thinking of going from Doncaster to Bempton, walking to Scarborough and then train back to Doncaster from Scarborough. Would a return to Scarborough be valid via Bempton and would I be OK to hop off short as described.

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Yes a ticket from Doncaster to Scarborough route 'Hull' would be valid to do what you would like to here. If you're coming back to Doncaster the same day you likely want the £33.70 ticket. Cheaper options may be available by buying multiple tickets, if you want to save money.

alistairlees

Established Member
Split at Goole and you can save a couple of pounds, though it does mean you can't use Hull Trains' services (which go via Selby)

Veteran Member
Split at Goole and you can save a couple of pounds, though it does mean you can't use Hull Trains' services (which go via Selby)
It also means you can't travel via York (though that applies with a VIA HULL ticket anyway of course).

ricoblade

Thanks for all your replies. I'm not sure I was clear enough in my original post. I want to go out via Hull to access Bempton and then return direct from Scarborough. From the replies it looks like I need a via Hull for the way out but then can't come back direct (via York) and I'd have to return (very slowly) via Hull.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Thanks for all your replies. I'm not sure I was clear enough in my original post. I want to go out via Hull to access Bempton and then return direct from Scarborough. From the replies it looks like I need a via Hull for the way out but then can't come back direct (via York) and I'd have to return (very slowly) via Hull.
If you have a ticket from Doncaster to Scarborough route via Hull, it could be excessed (change of route) for the return journey to a ticket routed Any Permitted. This would allow travel via York on the return. The additional cost for the excess would be half of the difference between the fares for the two routes, £5.95.

JB_B

Established Member

If you're willing to limit yourself to trains that call at Gilberdyke on the first part of your outwards journey from Doncaster to Hull (e.g. 1005,1205 Mon-Sat) then I think this might work:-

(1) £8.30 Doncaster-Gilberdyke Offpeak Day Single (route: not via Leeds/York )

(2) £21.40 Gilberdyke-Malton Offpeak Day Return (route: Any Permitted)

Total £29.70

Stop short at Gilberdyke on ticket (1) and immediately start to use (2). Break outbound at Bempton, Resume outbound at Scarborough, switch to return half at Malton and stop short at Doncaster. ( This ticket is valid via Hull/Scarborough and also via York/Doncaster. )

lyndhurst25

Established Member
I know of an Offpeak Day Return for £26ish that will cover this journey. I’ll PM ricoblade the details.

JB_B

Established Member
I know of an Offpeak Day Return for £26ish that will cover this journey. I’ll PM ricoblade the details.

... I think I might be able to guess :)

Just out interest, were you able to get an itinerary for that ticket including the journey to Hull and then north up the coast to Bempton? It looks completely valid going that way as far as I can see ( assuming it's the one I'm thinking of!) - my only worry was that I couldn't quite persuade a selection of journey planners to offer it (as per ricoblade's requirements).

Last edited:

lyndhurst25

Established Member
trainscanbecheaper.info will give you an itinerary if you enter the right strategic via points.

Status
Not open for further replies.