• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Doncaster to Swanage - 31st May - West Coast Railways

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masboroughlad

Established Member
Booked to go on the West Coast Railways excursion from Sheffield to Swanage on 31st May. Can anybody tell me which route/s this will take please?

Looking forward to it - whichever way it goes!

Will it be 47 hauled?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

341o2

Established Member
Times not announced yet, but will be t&t with 2x47/57.

Lineup for diesel gala announced - visitors 20007, 20142,26007,7017, 50049 and a class 66.
10 May will see mixed steam/diesel workings
11 May D6515 will haul the 4TC set dep Ealing Broadway 1040 to Swanage
13 May 20007 & 20142 will haul the set back dep Corfe 1525

Last edited:

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Times not announced yet, but will be t&t with 2x47/57.

Lineup for diesel gala announced - visitors 20007, 20142,26007,7017, 50043 and a class 66.
10 May will see mixed steam/diesel workings
11 May D6515 will haul the 4TC set dep Ealing Broadway 1040 to Swanage
13 May 20007 & 20142 will haul the set back dep Corfe 1525
50043 was scrapped in 2002??

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Confused as to how posting details of diesel gala helps someone travelling to railway 3 weeks after

341o2

Established Member
Maybe seperate details of the diesel gala onto its own thread then?
Details of the tour not announced, but route probably would be that of XC Nottingham to Birmingham, then Birmingham to Bournemouth, from Derby to Birmingham then - Oxford, Reading, Basingstoke, Southampton and Wareham. The reversal at Reading would explain t&t throught

http://www.railtourinfo.co.uk/diesel.html
Nothing apart from bare details of the tour as yet

Last edited:

Masboroughlad

Established Member
The WCR website still shows timing TBC.

Is there anywhere on the internet where provisional times are posted? Or does anybody know what times of departure and arrival are at Sheffield and Swanage?

pdeaves

Established Member
The WCR website still shows timing TBC.

Is there anywhere on the internet where provisional times are posted? Or does anybody know what times of departure and arrival are at Sheffield and Swanage?
They will let you know when it's finalised. The tour is nearly three months away; finalised timings are not usually known until a week or two beforehand.

Masboroughlad

Established Member
Why has the Sheffield call been removed and replaced with Swinton?

And why has Poole been added to the destinations? Surely the train was heading through there anyway?

Steam buff

probably pathing issues through Sheffield. Will at a guess be going "old road" to Chesterfield.
Vintage trains had this happen on several of their steam specials

probably pathing issues through Sheffield. Will at a guess be going "old road" to Chesterfield.
Vintage trains had this happen on several of their steam specials

No complaints from me, required bit of line

Masboroughlad

Established Member
Please excuse my ignorance. The final times for this day excursion are now posted, but only outward! Return are gone - even the provisional ones. Why aren't all times available? Is it someone else planning the return? I don't get it!

gtis

Please excuse my ignorance. The final times for this day excursion are now posted, but only outward! Return are gone - even the provisional ones. Why aren't all times available? Is it someone else planning the return? I don't get it!

Where are they posted I have looked on RTT
Neil

Masboroughlad

Established Member
Why so last minute? Doesn't help the organiser nor their customers!

The gap between confirmed times and actual journey seems to have reduced over the years!

Could this delay in release of times possibly suggest problem? Or is it to be expected?

I hope I'm wrong, but half expecting change of destination, even less time in Swanage or postponement/cancellation! Or glass half full - it's for a good reason........

Last edited:

Masboroughlad

Established Member
just chill out. The issues with the northern time table will be of more importance to NR than this train.

Says a lot about today's railway!

I'm not unchilled. You onviously understand more about today's railway planning than I do.

Having spent the.best part of 500 quid to travel on this train for a special occasion with my Mum, I'd like to know what's happening!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Says a lot about today's railway!

I'm not unchilled. You onviously understand more about today's railway planning than I do.

Having spent the.best part of 500 quid to travel on this train for a special occasion with my Mum, I'd like to know what's happening!

With the greatest of respect you will find out when you find out. Ideally that would have been done by now but I doubt this train is a priority with everyone from the Mayor of Manchester & every MP north of Brum shouting at NR to sort stuff out. Perspective. I suspect it will all be fine on the night and I suspect it will be Tuesday when you find out. I would get twitchy after that.

BTW - I have nothing to do with train planning. I just understand priorities and some of the challenges faced in trying to sort out all of the issues for this timetable change.

BTW 2 - how does this "say a lot about todays railways"?

Masboroughlad

Established Member
It just seems very antiquated, that is all. I am interested, as a customer who has used and worked on the railway. If you were flying somewhere you'd expect to know times 5 days before departure.

Last edited:

Masboroughlad

Established Member
Times on WCR website now but not on RTT yet. When will they appear on RTT? Eager to see the route it will take!

Status
Not open for further replies.