• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Donny - Brighton tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galaxy

Hi all,

Just booked on the Flamboyant Trains tour from Doncaster to Brighton on July 25. Traction is 86101 then 2x 73s on the Southern.

Any ideas how fast we will be going with the EDs? Sorry I don't know much about third rail hence the reason I'm on this!

Cheers
Chris

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
No idea how fast they'll go, but they'll be able to shift quite well on DC power. My NREA book says 60-90 mph (I assume the latter for 73/2s), so depending on the path you might be able to get a good run.

Gen is that 73206 and 208 have been asked for to do the relevant leg of the tour. Ta FBT over on the WNXX forum.

Want to do this one myself for the rather rare track in Willesden PRDC!

westcoaster

Established Member
When you get past south croydon the line speed goes up to 90 down the quarries, then it is 80-90 all the way till just. Before preston park. Should be a good run.

paul1609

Established Member
I reckon that line capcity is at such a premium on the BML that you will have a considerable wait at Willesden then will run slow line down as far as Balcombe Tunnel Junction via the through roads at Redhill. This isnt as bad as it seems as the slow lines have stretches of 80/90 mph. You will be possibly be looped again at haywards Heath to allow a flight of EMUs to overtake.
With 2 x 73s you will have 3200 hp available much less than the 86. In Gat EX days it was rare for the 73s to achieve 90 the normal maxima was low 80s.

Established Member
EDs will be fine on any load, even if its load 11 you'll be fine.

Phoenix

Established Member
EDs will be fine on any load, even if its load 11 you'll be fine.

I wouldn't say on any load they would be fine as I would find it hard to see a ED do a run such as the Caledonian sleeper under Diesel power.
Basically yes in this case it will be fine but down on paper it's all very subjective with ED's in question.

Established Member
I wouldn't say on any load they would be fine as I would find it hard to see a ED do a run such as the Caledonian sleeper under Diesel power.
Basically yes in this case it will be fine but down on paper it's all very subjective with ED's in question.

Well on 3rd rail they can shift.

westcoaster

Established Member
me doesn't think they have 3rd rail in the PRDC, dont think that capacity on the bml will be a problem iirc this will be on a weekend.
on a seperate note ive seen a single 73, haul a train of full ballast wagons (seacows) + dead 73 up through kings cross tunnel towards kentish town, and thats quiet a gradient.

Phoenix

Established Member
Well on 3rd rail they can shift.

Yes indeed they do shift on 3rd but on diesel well they don't.
Although don't let that fool you as there has been a incident where a Cross country from I believe Bournemouth was hauled all the way to Birmingham by a pair of EDs and only lost 20 minutes.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Yep, a mate of mine did that run and was pretty epic apparently. I think he posted a link on Facebook to the photo of them at New Street, which might have been after a 47/8 had rescued it from Fenny Compton where they expired. I'll ask him when I speak to him next, but it is still one of his biggest (in terms of rare moves) and favourite moves.

Established Member
Yes indeed they do shift on 3rd but on diesel well they don't.
Although don't let that fool you as there has been a incident where a Cross country from I believe Bournemouth was hauled all the way to Birmingham by a pair of EDs and only lost 20 minutes.

Cor!!! - I would have paid a lot for the bash on those beasties, any ideas on locos?

Phoenix

Established Member
Yeah was quite a rare one that.
But basically all that can be said with ED's is "don't over underestimate them on Diesel but don't overestimate them on DC"
Dunno if anyone agrees on that one??

thefab444

Established Member
To be fair though, in the good old days of VXC, things like 31s and 56s weren't all that uncommon on workings... even 58s and 60s made appearances?

Chester025

Status
Not open for further replies.