• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Donny expletives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galaxy

Anyone at Donny tonight hear one of the siggies swearing in the background like a good un on one of tonight's announcements. Can't remember the exact problem but it went a little something like:

Woman Announcer: "Platform 1 for the 1603 (or whatever) GNER "Flying Scotsman" service to London ... [continues announcing stops] ...
Signalman in background: "THAT'S NEVER BEEN THE F****** FLYING SCOTSMAN! THE F****** FLYING SCOTSMAN HAD A PROPER F****** ENGINE - NOT A F****** BIT OF F****** PLASTIC!" Followed by other expletives which were less clear! :mrgreen:

So it got me thinking, as I often hear noises from Doncaster box on the tannoy (chatting and box noises) but never as clear as this. Anyone else heard anything similar before?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlexS

Established Member
Some of the staff at Wolverhampton wetting their pants in the background and the announcer rapidly losing their composure!

They're lucky they can't hear their announcements - it's extremely disconcerting to hear your own voicing booming about a station!

Respite

In summer time the announcer in wolves PSB can hear themselves announcing with a slight delay,used to catch a few of them out.

I once got a boll**king for swearing like a trooper when I was a signalman at stourbridge Jcn.Apparently the whole station heard me having a major row with a completely incompatant Jarvis Picop in the box whilst the TA was announcing.

rmt

Anyone at Donny tonight hear one of the siggies swearing in the background like a good un on one of tonight's announcements. Can't remember the exact problem but it went a little something like:

Woman Announcer: "Platform 1 for the 1603 (or whatever) GNER "Flying Scotsman" service to London ... [continues announcing stops] ...
Signalman in background: "THAT'S NEVER BEEN THE F****** FLYING SCOTSMAN! THE F****** FLYING SCOTSMAN HAD A PROPER F****** ENGINE - NOT A F****** BIT OF F****** PLASTIC!" Followed by other expletives which were less clear! :mrgreen:

So it got me thinking, as I often hear noises from Doncaster box on the tannoy (chatting and box noises) but never as clear as this. Anyone else heard anything similar before?

Heard it before. Also heard them setting off Airhorns and other things in there in the past.

Wrighty1976

Welcome to my virginal post..... First of many I hope

I used to announce trains at Newcastle (number of years ago now). There was nothing like the sinking feeling of the 'THHHHHWWWWUUUUUMMMMMPPP' that you knew you had just been struck from about two foot with soaking wet Kimberley Clark* Industrial Blue Roll. (* I am sure that there are other brands that make just as quality a product at the KC one) It always happened just in the middle of 0939 XC to Penzance.... calling at Redruth, Camborne THHHHHWWWWUUUUUMMMMMPPP (regain composure) St Erth, Par....

TTFN

Daniel

Established Member
Whist on Work Experience at St. Pancras, alone in the control room:

Had a broken down meridian in Platform 2, meaning I had been making and recieveing calls to and from the signal man. Friendly chap, we were often making jokes to each other. Had to announce one just as the phone rang. Had already pressed the speak button:

Me said:
Good evening and welcome to London St. Pancakes. The train now boarding at platform 3, is the....

Also, not an announcement, but I noticed a nifty function on the PIS system.

The 13:25 to Sheffield had some added notes on the departure board:

Code:
13:25  SHEFFIELD
Calling at: Leicester, Derby, Chesterfield, SHEFFIELD.
Notes: HFire High Speed Train Service.  Formed of Valenta Power cars 43*** and 43***

(Can't remember what numbers they were off hand, but they were accurate as I had TOPS next to me! :mrgreen:

AlexS

Established Member
Having fluffed up an announcement and then the correction on saturday, anyone on Loughborough Central station may have heard a brief *SHIII...* before the mic cut off.

Status
Not open for further replies.