• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Don't miss the last tram home - now earlier due to Metrolink 'improvements'

Status
Not open for further replies.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I rode out to Dane Road last week, and the ride in both directions (including the fast bit over the Mersey) was pretty good compared to my previous experiences.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
NR can’t even be bothered to fix the points on the heavy rail side after Navigation Road crossing which is why all of the trains have to go onto the wrong track on departure from Altrincham towards Stockport. That been like that for more than a year.

I did wonder why we were routed that way when I was there back in December.

Guess it makes virtually no difference to operating the timetable, so not a priority for repair (compared to, say, Piccadilly throat).

Might be needed for the half-hourly service though.

Starmill

Veteran Member
When services to Ashton first opened in 2013, the trams went to Bury. It wasn't made clear then that this was not going to be permanent, just as it wasn't made clear that the trams which currently run to Etihad Campus would ever run there in service - they used to run empty stock from Piccadilly and they were sent there simply because of a lack of capacity in the turnback. The passenger service from Altrincham to Etihad Campus did not run for very long before being stopped while St Peters Square was rebuilt either. These sort of changes are quite common. This change marks the first time in almost about 8 years when the service pattern could be considered to have 'settled down', there has been a constant state of flux somewhere or other since MediaCity opened (remember, the service from MediaCity was initially only to go to Cornbrook).

There is an oppourtunity to change the service again in future, and there is the Trafford Centre service to overlay on the current pattern. However I would say it would be good if we could keep the pattern the same for a couple of years at least, and gather some data about who actually travels where and when as far as the cross-Manchester journeys are concerned.

You could also make the point that these timetable changes finally realise the full benefits of building phase 3 which began right back in 2009, as they would never have been to this extent without 2CC. Crucially it means that those who travel from Northern Moor and other stops on the Airport line will at long last have direct trams to St Peters Square and Exchange Square, right in the city centre.

Last edited:

Ianno87

Veteran Member
When services to Ashton first opened in 2013, the trams went to Bury. It wasn't made clear then that this was not going to be permanent, just as it wasn't made clear that the trams which currently run to Etihad Campus would ever run there in service - they used to run empty stock from Piccadilly and they were sent there simply because of a lack of capacity in the turnback. The passenger service from Altrincham to Etihad Campus did not run for very long before being stopped while St Peters Square was rebuilt either. These sort of changes are quite common. This change marks the first time in almost about 8 years when the service pattern could be considered to have 'settled down', there has been a constant state of flux somewhere or other since MediaCity opened (remember, the service from MediaCity was initially only to go to Cornbrook).

There is an oppourtunity to change the service again in future, and there is the Trafford Centre service to overlay on the current pattern. However I would say it would be good if we could keep the pattern the same for a couple of years at least, and gather some data about who actually travels where and when as far as the cross-Manchester journeys are concerned.

You could also make the point that these timetable changes finally realise the full benefits of building phase 3 which began right back in 2009, as they would never have been to this extent without 2CC. Crucially it means that those who travel from Northern Moor and other stops on the Airport line will at long last have direct trams to St Peters Square and Exchange Square, right in the city centre.

Anecdotally, the Bury<>Ashton direct link was said to be relatively popular for free passholders to have a day out at Bury market, otherwise I've never observed any particularly strong cross-Manchester flows on the system, excepting when the footy is on.

But good point, the TT change is, in effect, the completion of Phase 3. Well done to all concerned!

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Is it not to Crumpsall to where the new Trafford Centre tram service, when operational, will be terminated?

Correct.

The point was that the routes post-recast (including Trafford Centre-Crumpsall) don't have to be set in stone forever.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I notice on the map that the Oldham branch service currently has one route terminating at Shaw/Cromptom and one going all the way to Rochdale. The TfGM website says that all services operate every 12 Min, therefore a 6 Min service via Oldham to Mc’r and East Didsbury. The new map shows this as a single line from Rochdale to East Didsbury; will all Trams now go to Rochdale or is it just to simplify the map?

rebmcr

Established Member
I notice on the map that the Oldham branch service currently has one route terminating at Shaw/Cromptom and one going all the way to Rochdale. The TfGM website says that all services operate every 12 Min, therefore a 6 Min service via Oldham to Mc’r and East Didsbury. The new map shows this as a single line from Rochdale to East Didsbury; will all Trams now go to Rochdale or is it just to simplify the map?

I believe the lengthy single line section between Rochdale Railway Station and Newbold precludes that — it's almost certainly just a map simplification.

rebmcr

Established Member
Looking at the new map, I believe that Market Street should really be featured as an interchange blob, not the basic 'stop' it is currently indicated as.

But, back on topic, I also note that the TfGM website now displays this banner:

TfGM.PNG

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Looking at the new map, I see only one service running through the Second City Crossing; East Didsbury to Rochdale. That doesn't appear to be a stunning return on investment to me.....

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I believe the lengthy single line section between Rochdale Railway Station and Newbold precludes that — it's almost certainly just a map simplification.
I thought as much; after all I don’t think I’ve ever seen other Metros have a separate line for “shorts.” Presumably the statement that all services run every 12 Min during daytime hours will be withdrawn.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Looking at the new map, I see only one service running through the Second City Crossing; East Didsbury to Rochdale. That doesn't appear to be a stunning return on investment to me.....
Previous posts suggests the Shaw & Crompton short workings have been consolidated with the Rochdales into a single line on the map, so it is every 6min in the centre.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It probably doesn't make sense to have a separate line on the map for a short working unless it's actually different - it just clogs it up and isn't all that useful, as if you show the route number and end destination on the tram (do they intend to? I hope so) that, like a bus, gives you all the information you need.

Add to that the option to get more clever with the numbers, you could do something like...

1x - all services to or via Piccadilly
2x - all services via the original city crossing not serving Piccadilly
3x - all services via the new city crossing

and so on with any additional city centre infrastructure.

Even better stick an M prefix onto them all, then you could start numbering railway lines with a R or T prefix, and buses remain unprefixed, leading to a more German style network map.

Last edited:

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Previous posts suggests the Shaw & Crompton short workings have been consolidated with the Rochdales into a single line on the map, so it is every 6min in the centre.

Still only on a single route? I would have thought that routing Altrincham - Bury over CC2 would have been useful?

pemma

Veteran Member
Altrincham to Bury trams are currently being diverted via Exchange Square. (Wed 5pm) According to Metrolink it's due to a signalling problem.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

Does surprise me that Airport trams are to be routed via 1CC - I'd half assumed it'd be via 2CC.

Would presume that means the eventual Crumpsall-Trafford Centre will be via 2CC - Mosley Street capacity will be maxed out already with 25tph (10 Alty, 10 Salford Quays, 5 Airport)

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Metrobus?
What on earth is that Paul?
Sam

Oh dear, I meant Megabus..:oops:

Too much time spent on "The Transport Game UK" on the Quizzes and Games forum. Metrobus covers South London, Surrey, Kent and Sussex. After some changes over the years, whilst the name Metrobus is still kept, the company services are now run by both Go-Ahead group and by Brighton & Hove.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Oh dear, I meant Megabus..:oops:

Too much time spent on "The Transport Game UK" on the Quizzes and Games forum. Metrobus covers South London, Surrey, Kent and Sussex. After some changes over the years, whilst the name Metrobus is still kept, the company services are now run by both Go-Ahead group and by Brighton & Hove.

Metroshuttle?

WatcherZero

Established Member
Looking at the new map, I believe that Market Street should really be featured as an interchange blob, not the basic 'stop' it is currently indicated as.

But, back on topic, I also note that the TfGM website now displays this banner:

View attachment 41916

Its a small platform that gets pretty packed in rush hour, not really a good idea to encourage more people to hang around on it. Staff do encourage tourists to walk between it and Piccadilly Gardens to interchange though.

Sidious

Does surprise me that Airport trams are to be routed via 1CC - I'd half assumed it'd be via 2CC.

Would presume that means the eventual Crumpsall-Trafford Centre will be via 2CC - Mosley Street capacity will be maxed out already with 25tph (10 Alty, 10 Salford Quays, 5 Airport)
The reason that Airport teams are going 1CC is because at the moment the only services which run between St. Peter’s Square and Market Street/Shudehill are the Altrincham-Bury services which run every 12 minutes 07:00-20:00 Monday to Saturday with no Sunday service.

St. Peter’s Square to Victoria via 2CC already has a 6 minute service frequency.

I think that Trafford Centre - Crumpsall is going 2CC which would give 3 vehicles per 12 minutes.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
The reason that Airport teams are going 1CC is because at the moment the only services which run between St. Peter’s Square and Market Street/Shudehill are the Altrincham-Bury services which run every 12 minutes 07:00-20:00 Monday to Saturday with no Sunday service.

St. Peter’s Square to Victoria via 2CC already has a 6 minute service frequency.

I think that Trafford Centre - Crumpsall is going 2CC which would give 3 vehicles per 12 minutes.

Thanks, that does make sense - enables a 6ish minute interval cross-city service via both 1CC and 2CC.

Status
Not open for further replies.